Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I expect snow in south UT & AZ, early NOV?  (Read 2984 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Should I expect snow in south UT & AZ, early NOV?
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:57:51 pm »

I just read Tim Gray's email about snowfall in Bryce (in January). I was there in late December a few years ago, and saw a lot of snow and fog. Should I plan for snow in sourthern Utah and around Page, and the north rim of Grand Canyon the first two weeks of November? I'd like to venture off the main roads in Escalante. But at the same time, I want to be smart and now get myself snowed in on roads where I might not be found for days.

TIM ... thanks for the 'heads up' about not trying to photograph Arches, unless you have several days. I plan on allowing 4 or 4 days to shoot in Zion. But would not have that much time for other parks. What about Escalante? Capitol Reef? Canyonlands?
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Win

• http://www.winpics.fototime.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:55:19 pm »

I think you have a good chance of it still being "dry" in the Capitol Reef/ Escalante area.
Boulder Mtn may have snow but that's really got altitude.

We were at Page last Thanksgiving and it was near 70. We hiked South Coyote Buttes and it was warm!

Bryce is really beautiful after a snow fall, went last Dec 23 and it was awesome. The main road was closed out to the end but Bryce and Inspiration Pt were open. They don't clean the walk ways so you do need to be careful.

I'm not sure they actually close the North Rim until it snows. The facilities are closed but I think you can still go out there. Toroweap is much lower and open all year.

Zion should be terrific! We hiked in shorts and t-shirts yesterday at about 4500 ft.

Win

Arizona

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 10:30:32 am »

I just read Tim Gray's email about snowfall in Bryce (in January). I was there in late December a few years ago, and saw a lot of snow and fog. Should I plan for snow in sourthern Utah and around Page, and the north rim of Grand Canyon the first two weeks of November? I'd like to venture off the main roads in Escalante. But at the same time, I want to be smart and now get myself snowed in on roads where I might not be found for days.

TIM ... thanks for the 'heads up' about not trying to photograph Arches, unless you have several days. I plan on allowing 4 or 4 days to shoot in Zion. But would not have that much time for other parks. What about Escalante? Capitol Reef? Canyonlands?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145812\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Expect anything from hot weather to very cold. That is the way it is up there. Yes, snow can be possible in the high country. I last year we went from a hot sunny day down in the canyons to a blizzard up in Dixie National forest. I have driven in on dusty dry roads in the Escalante area and overnight a good rain makes the backroads turn into greasy mud. Check the weather forecasts constantly. A small folding shovel, ax, machete and folding saw are good things to have in the vehicle.  We recently got back from a big loop that took us into N AZ/S Utah and had to cut through four deadfalls to get to our spot on the North Rim of the GC.
Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up