Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP APS Error Help  (Read 2368 times)

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
HP APS Error Help
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:39:30 pm »

Hi,
I am an HP Z3100psGP user with a lot of experience using the HP Software and the printer itself, but I need help.

I am on the Macintosh OSX, and have been using the HP Printer Utility (v2.8) and the HP APS Software (v1.31). I've made monitor profiles and printer profiles with the APS, and profiles with the Mac HP Printer Utility.

First an admission, I find that both programs appear to be in competition when it comes to profiling media. I lean toward using the HP Printer Utility currently.

The problem. I printed and profiled a target printed on canvas and wanted to varnish it and then do another profile of the varnished target primarily as an aide to softproofing items I intend to varnish. I used to do this for my HP DesignJet 2500CP using my X-Rite Pulse. (BTW, I still like the Monitor profiles I make with the Pulse better than the APS monitor profiles which have a certain "off" quality about them in comparison, but I digress).

So I was excited a bit when the newest version of the APS SW allowed you to print a target , dry it longer than 5 minutes, varnish it and then be able to read that target by feeding it back into the printer. This is my first attempt at that technique.  FYI, I amcurrently taking HPs claim that it is unnecessary to wait for the ink to dry overnight (unlike with the Pulse), and I don't have time or resources for testing that in depth. On a practicle level so far things seem to be OK in that regard.

So, I loaded the target. I ran the HP APS software. It found the target and started reading it. It got halfway and reported this error...

The printer has returned false measurement data, please start the process again.

I did with the exact same results.

I am waiting for HP to respond.

I plan on trying it with a know profilable media next, but in the mean time thought I might ask if anyone else has gotten this error, and if so what experience do they have for fixing it.

Is it the media? FYI, this is a Matte Canvas with 2 coats of Satin Varnish on it.

Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
HP APS Error Help
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 06:36:43 pm »

Hi,
I am an HP Z3100psGP user with a lot of experience using the HP Software and the printer itself, but I need help.

I am on the Macintosh OSX, and have been using the HP Printer Utility (v2.8) and the HP APS Software (v1.31). I've made monitor profiles and printer profiles with the APS, and profiles with the Mac HP Printer Utility.

First an admission, I find that both programs appear to be in competition when it comes to profiling media. I lean toward using the HP Printer Utility currently.

The problem. I printed and profiled a target printed on canvas and wanted to varnish it and then do another profile of the varnished target primarily as an aide to softproofing items I intend to varnish. I used to do this for my HP DesignJet 2500CP using my X-Rite Pulse. (BTW, I still like the Monitor profiles I make with the Pulse better than the APS monitor profiles which have a certain "off" quality about them in comparison, but I digress).

So I was excited a bit when the newest version of the APS SW allowed you to print a target , dry it longer than 5 minutes, varnish it and then be able to read that target by feeding it back into the printer. This is my first attempt at that technique.  FYI, I amcurrently taking HPs claim that it is unnecessary to wait for the ink to dry overnight (unlike with the Pulse), and I don't have time or resources for testing that in depth. On a practicle level so far things seem to be OK in that regard.

So, I loaded the target. I ran the HP APS software. It found the target and started reading it. It got halfway and reported this error...

The printer has returned false measurement data, please start the process again.

I did with the exact same results.

I am waiting for HP to respond.

I plan on trying it with a know profilable media next, but in the mean time thought I might ask if anyone else has gotten this error, and if so what experience do they have for fixing it.

Is it the media? FYI, this is a Matte Canvas with 2 coats of Satin Varnish on it.

Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Tom-
A while back I had a similar concern and called HP support for the Z3100.  A very nice techy helped me out and did find an article that officially mentioned "Split-workflow", which they do in fact support.  I think it all is tricky, but if you figure out the right combinations it should work.
My thinking is that you should make a standard profile (create a new paper and name) then calibrate and take everything through the creation and installation of a new profile.  Then, I would save the targets (of course) and coat them as you plan to.  Here's the tricky part.  I would try fooling the process by creating yet another new paper and calibrating with the plain canvas.  Then, load the new paper with the coated target swatch.  Once loaded, go about asking it to create the ICC profile for that second named canvas.  Not sure if the APS will let you do this, but I do know you can do it with the standard profiling.

(see: [a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19447)]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....howtopic=19447)[/url]

Here is the section of the article the tech sent me:

Drying time for Color Stabilization

We have made an effort to minimize the 'dry down' (color stabilization) time needed between printing and measuring the profiling chart, but without compromising on the accuracy or 'representativeness' of the obtained profiles. We have qualified a very large set of media types (both HP and non HP) with the Z series printers and inks, and in all cases we have found that 5 minutes dry down time is sufficient to produce very accurate and representative profiles.

At the same time, we also provide a 'split workflow' option where the chart can be printed and taken out, and fed back in to be measured at a later time, for those media types that require more than 5 minutes dry down. The split workflow is also meant for customers needing post-processing (e.g. lamination: since the color after laminating will be different than before, we need to profile the media in its final state).
We don’t expect the “split workflow” to be used very frequently, but it is certainly supported.

We do not apply a compensation for measuring on wet targets, since it is not needed.

So this procedure, for sure, is something they planned for.  This was an internal technical document, not something you could google and find anywhere.

Best wishes-

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
HP APS Error Help
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:34:28 pm »

Hai Tom,

Maybe this is the reason;

HP also sells a glossy canvas named "HP Collector Satin Canvas".
On this canvas the z3100 cannot make - in fact refuses to make - an ICCprofile. The reason is probably that there is a problem with the shin y surfaces that is not only shiny ( like the glossy papers) but also has an irregular surface.

Kers
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
HP APS Error Help
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 11:22:41 pm »

I had the same issue and error message when I went to profile Epson canvas, which seems to only come in a satin sheen.  I'm not a fan of shiny canvas, so I have only tried HP Professional Mat Canvas so far and had no issue profiling that material.  I was going to try profiling the Epson material again with a glossy canvas setting instead of the generic canvas setting in the near future, but had no idea that the Z's scanner couldn't handle sheen on canvas.  

-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
HP APS Error Help
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 10:39:11 am »

Hi Mark & Ker & Ron H.,

Thanks all.

I guess I will be using the X-Rite Pulse for profiling the Varnished Satin & Glossy canvas.

Mark, that "internal HP info on "Drying time for Color Stabilization"  is interesting & nice new thread too...
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....howtopic=19447)

I planned on testing in this fashion, but didn't get time. But now I'm inspired.

So long for now, TOM
Pages: [1]   Go Up