Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blad V-Series Prisms  (Read 2269 times)

friml

• http://
Blad V-Series Prisms
« on: October 13, 2007, 09:39:56 am »

Forgive my ignorance,  but i was wondering if anyone could enlighten me about the pros and cons of different prisms.

Theres a BIG camera market tomorrow, and there was heaps of blad gear last year [when i picked up my kit]

i want to pick up a prism for my 501CM. asside from conidtion, is there anything to look out for?  Certain models better than others?  Anything models to avoid?  

Any info would be really appreciated.

Cheers! Tom.

blansky

Blad V-Series Prisms
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:05:57 pm »

I've used the old style Hasselblad 45 degree prisms for a long time. My preference is the 45 degree instead of the 90 degree.

If you aren't aware of the difference the 45 is at an angle where your face/eye is at a higher level than with the 90 degree. With the 90 degree the top of the camera is level with your eye.

The other thing to be aware of is that some come with a light meter and some don't. Mine didn't because I always used a hand held light meter.

Another thing that changed during the years is the shape if the design. Some of the later ones, I believe, were shaped so that you could attach a polaroid back to the camera. On mine I had to remove the prism and use the "stock" viewer whenever I wanted to attach the polaroid back.

All that being said, if you don't have a polaroid back, and don't care about a light meter built in, any of the old ones are just as functional as the newer ones.

However, with the amount of cheap Hasselblad stuff floating around, I'd try to find the newest and best stuff available.

Michael

vandevanterSH

Blad V-Series Prisms
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:19:25 pm »

However, with the amount of cheap Hasselblad stuff floating around, I'd try to find the newest and best stuff available.

I agree with Michael and would also suggest getting a PME-45..The TTL metering is very good, and for me at least, made a big difference is getting good exposures.

Steve

Gary Ferguson

• http://
Blad V-Series Prisms
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:39:15 pm »

Another vote for the PME-45, and I'll an additional reason why.

As the light is bent away from the vertical the magnification drops. So you get the most magnified viewfinder image (and hence the most accurate focusing, most precise composition, and generally most satisfying viewfinder experience) with the standard hood or the superb chimney finders.

And you get the least magnified viewfinder image with the 90 degree finders. The 45 degree finders such as the PME-45 give the most viewfinder magnification amongst the prism finders.

In addition the 45 degree angle is still fully useable with handgrips and camera mounted flash. The only time the 90 degree would have an advantage is if you want the highest possible camera position, and even here I'd personally argue that using the standard hood in an overhead position actually trumps all the prism finders in this respect, although it needs quite a bit of practise to accurately shoot like this!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Blad V-Series Prisms
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 02:49:14 am »

Just so Tom understands (and he may already), the PME45 has a built-in light meter but this is NOT connected to the camera - i.e. the meter will tell you what setting but it won't transmit this information to the camera.  You still have to set f/stop and shutter speed manually on the lens

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up