Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: removing the AA filter  (Read 104906 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
removing the AA filter
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »

Hi,

It's actually quite possible to regain information if the Point Spread Function (PSF) is known.

Not that I have expertise in the area, but you may check "Digital Image Processing" by Gonzales and Woods or google on "PSF deconvolution Richardson Lucy" and you ought to find examples.

An example is here: http://www.bialith.com/Research/BARclockblur.htm

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Phil Indeblanc
NO, you cannot regain lost sharpening, you will only increase contrast, and preceived sharpness, no matter the channel, it is applying the same effect.
Some result better than others, but even with some samples posted here, you will see that you CANNOT regain the information that native sharpness resolved.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:37:52 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:36 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

It's actually quite possible to regain information if the Point Spread Function (PSF) is known.

Not that I have expertise in the area, but you may check "Digital Image Processing" by Gonzales and Woods or google on "PSF deconvolution Richardson Lucy" and you ought to find examples.

An example is here: http://www.bialith.com/Research/BARclockblur.htm

Best regards
Erik

Erik, it would be great to see the revits reappear from the 50D image crop you posted.  The SD14 shows them nice and seprate.  Perhaps a visual would be most convincing.  I have invested too much time with all this and so far ZERO visual support[size="2"][/size].  Also, there are I am sure examples that might be able to do this as calculations are obvious ....but the tiny revits is a good example to try and REVIVE!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
removing the AA filter
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »

Phil,

I don't understand the question. If you mean the rivets I don't really know which rivets you mean, If you could encircle that part on one of the original photographs I could see what you mean.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, it would be great to see the revits reappear from the 50D image crop you posted.  The SD14 shows them nice and seprate.  Perhaps a visual would be most convincing.  I have invested too much time with all this and so far ZERO visual support[size="2"][/size].  Also, there are I am sure examples that might be able to do this as calculations are obvious ....but the tiny revits is a good example to try and REVIVE!
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Phil,

I don't understand the question. If you mean the rivets I don't really know which rivets you mean, If you could encircle that part on one of the original photographs I could see what you mean.

Best regards
Erik

Yes, there is a recatangle shape area that has rivets in it.  the difference is really not much at all as this again is 4.6 vs 15.1mp.

But I am taking a few images now with Non AA camera, and will post in the next 30min?

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:39 pm »

hmmmm, I dont post images online, and not having much luck.  Anyone have a way I can upload. I dont have any image hosting places.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

removing the AA filter
« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:50 pm »

NO, you cannot regain lost sharpening, you will only increase contrast, and preceived sharpness, no matter the channel, it is applying the same effect.
Some result better than others, but even with some samples posted here, you will see that you CANNOT regain the information that native sharpness resolved.

Phil,

As Erik already said, YES it is possible to restore blur, to a significant degree anyway. There is a lot of new research that shows even better results than from a regular Richardson Lucy (RL) restoration. You can convince yourself that RL works with a free implementation that apparently is implemented in the RawTherapee converter.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

bjanes

removing the AA filter
« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Phil,

As Erik already said, YES it is possible to restore blur, to a significant degree anyway. There is a lot of new research that shows even better results than from a regular Richardson Lucy (RL) restoration. You can convince yourself that RL works with a free implementation that apparently is implemented in the RawTherapee converter.
Bart
Bart,
Roger Clark has also demonstrated use of RL in lieu of or in addition to traditional unsharp masking. However, he did not explain how he derived the point spread function parameters (PSP) used for that restoration. Just guessing? I understand that deconvolution can also be used for defocusing error and and diffraction correction. Some photographers report good results using deconvolution (FocusMagic) to offset the effect of a blur filter in capture sharpening. Unfortunately, it is difficult to derive the PSP function to be used in the deconvolution. Do you have any pointers in this area?

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2010, 07:50:41 pm »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Phil,

Cheers,
Bart

I am open to it, I will try it out....is this method also available to do using PhotoShop, or is this something Focus Magic specific.  I will have to check out the links.

It is a bit hard for me to believe it.  I almost took the chance today and purchase a 50D as it is the closest to my 14mp, so I will see within the week, as I was thinking of waiting about 3-4months and purchase the 5dMk2.....But I don't need either as I have enough bodies, and they are secondary to my MFDB, so the 50D is still something I might get...ok, enough rant.

How can I post my raw files?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

removing the AA filter
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

Quote from: bjanes
Bart,
Roger Clark has also demonstrated use of RL in lieu of or in addition to traditional unsharp masking. However, he did not explain how he derived the point spread function parameters (PSP) used for that restoration. Just guessing?

Hi Bill,

Yes, it is basically guessing (although with visual feedback from a small image area that guess can be pretty good!), unless one has a good method of determining the characteristics of the optical system. I use Imatest to calculate the PSF of my optical system (lens/aperture/AA-filter/microlens/sensel aperture), and I am able to derive a pretty good PSF that way. The guessing part also works fine though     .

I understand that deconvolution can also be used for defocusing error and and diffraction correction. Some photographers report good results using deconvolution (FocusMagic) to offset the effect of a blur filter in capture sharpening. Unfortunately, it is difficult to derive the PSP function to be used in the deconvolution. Do you have any pointers in this area?

The interesting thing is that an application like FocusMagic can already do an impressive job based on a single (radius) parameter. It is capable of tackling defocus/diffraction/AA-filtration, even motion blur, which all have distinctly different PSF shapes, so I assume its PSF assumption may be a bit more elaborate (or an average of different shapes) than a simple defocus model of a PSF, or the algorithm is somewhat adaptive. Anyway, it proves that with limited input one can already achieve impressive improvement results.

As an example, a C1 conversion of an EOS-1Ds3 image at f/8 without sharpening, and the FocusMagic version with a small PS layer blending tweak:
[attachment=19347:OPF_Debl...rop01_1_.png] [attachment=19348:OPF_Debl..._125__1_.jpg]

IMHO those who seek for a solution by removing an AA-filter will add more problems than the benefits of an AA-filtering + proper sharpening can deliver ...

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I've kept the unsharpened image in the losslessly compressed PNG file format to allow comparisons with other sharpening utilities.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 08:38:00 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
removing the AA filter
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2010, 08:56:02 pm »

As others have mentioned, sharpness can be restored if the point spread function (think of it as a lens blur profile) is known. I'm currently working on a software program that does this exact thing. All in all, my impression so far is that it is better to use an AA filter to filter out aliasing artifacts, then use deconvolution to reverse the blurring of frequencies below Nyquist.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
removing the AA filter
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2010, 08:57:48 pm »

Quote from: joofa
Several new and exciting technologies are going to hit the imaging world and I think it is about time if we find aliasing to be too objectionable to just use a camera which has an AA filter and move on.

Care to share what those might be?

joofa

removing the AA filter
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2010, 09:17:50 pm »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
Care to share what those might be?

Yes, for one thing: Hyper-/multi-imaging. I have talked about it a little here on this forum before. We have worked a little on that and are blown away at the prospects of it - ranging all the way from food inspection, to digital special effects especially for filmmaking, to medical imaging, to early-cancer detection, to user-specific camera curves resulting in more control than traditional 3-color RGB, to digital pathology, to ....

However, I'm not sure if Adobe/Apple/etc. are yet ready for it. New algorithms might need to be developed for such data.

Roger Clark has also demonstrated use of RL in lieu of or in addition to traditional unsharp masking. However, he did not explain how he derived the point spread function parameters (PSP) used for that restoration. Just guessing? I understand that deconvolution can also be used for defocusing error and and diffraction correction.

Those looking for a general solution might google "blind image deconvolution" for which you may not need to know the psf. However, in theory that is fine, but in practise many constraints are imposed such as the Gaussian assumption that helps in closed form solutions for methods such as maximum-likelihood. Richardson-Lucy algorithm can be shown to be a special case of these general frameworks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:26:56 pm by joofa »
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

Bart_van_der_Wolf

removing the AA filter
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2010, 09:56:14 pm »

As others have mentioned, sharpness can be restored if the point spread function (think of it as a lens blur profile) is known. I'm currently working on a software program that does this exact thing. All in all, my impression so far is that it is better to use an AA filter to filter out aliasing artifacts, then use deconvolution to reverse the blurring of frequencies below Nyquist.

Indeed, I do as well, and it's my impression that the vast majority of the Digital Signal Processing (DSP) community is of the same opinion. When over-sampling is impractical, add a low-pass filter before sampling and then restore.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:10:09 pm by BartvanderWolf »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

removing the AA filter
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »

Quote from: joofa
Those looking for a general solution might google "blind image deconvolution" for which you may not need to know the psf. However, in theory that is fine, but in practise many constraints are imposed such as the Gaussian assumption that helps in closed form solutions for methods such as maximum-likelihood.

The main issue with blind deconvolution methods is noise amplification.

Richardson-Lucy algorithm can be shown to be a special case of these general frameworks.

In a way, yes because RL is based on a Bayesian approach to Poisson noise (just like Photon shot noise), but with improvements like additional insensitivity to random noise.

Cheers,
Bart

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2010, 11:33:05 pm »

Maybe I can email the file to someone who can post it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
removing the AA filter
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:29 am »

Hi,

Many of us have used:

http://www.yousendit.com/

For sending pictures.

You can mail to yourself. Yousendit sends a short mail with a download link. You can just post the download link on this forum.

Maybe I can email the file to someone who can post it.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
removing the AA filter
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2010, 01:42:16 am »

Hi,

RawDeveloper from Iridient has also Richardson Lucy, in part probably because RL is part of the image processing libraries on Apple. I presume that it's based on a guess regarding PSF.

My guess is that it may be possible to guestimate PSF in some cases. The AA-filter acts a beam splitter so it probable deflects some of the light in four adjacent cells.

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0240...2yfoNY#PPA30,M1

Best regards
Erik

Bart,
Roger Clark has also demonstrated use of RL in lieu of or in addition to traditional unsharp masking. However, he did not explain how he derived the point spread function parameters (PSP) used for that restoration. Just guessing? I understand that deconvolution can also be used for defocusing error and and diffraction correction. Some photographers report good results using deconvolution (FocusMagic) to offset the effect of a blur filter in capture sharpening. Unfortunately, it is difficult to derive the PSP function to be used in the deconvolution. Do you have any pointers in this area?
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:27 am »

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2010, 07:42:23 pm »

http://www.yousendit.com/download/VGlmbUpRNDRHa04zZUE9PQ

This is the longest pause this post has had...anyone DL the image and look it over?

Phil Indeblanc

removing the AA filter
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2010, 09:08:19 pm »

http://www.yousendit.com/download/VGlmbUpRNDRHa04zZUE9PQ

I just opened this image up to expose it a bit, and I lowered the color noise some also, and I hardly added some sharpening, and it is rather tack without any sharpening.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up