Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sandisk Extreme III VS Sandisk Extreme IV Compact  (Read 4809 times)

Killer Angel

Sandisk Extreme III VS Sandisk Extreme IV Compact
« on: October 13, 2007, 02:07:46 am »

If my camera was a Canon EOS 40D,would there be any benefits or improvements if I upgraded from a Sandisk Extreme III to a Sandisk Extreme IV flashcard?If yes,what are they?Would I get better image quality with my photos?
Thanks

GregW

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:20:18 am »

If my camera was a Canon EOS 40D,would there be any benefits or improvements if I upgraded from a Sandisk Extreme III to a Sandisk Extreme IV flashcard?If yes,what are they?Would I get better image quality with my photos?
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Possibly as I imagine most new DSLR's use UDMA.  As I'm not aware of the detailed 40D specs it's hard to be precise.  I suggest you take a look at Rob Galbraith's CF card speed index.  If the 40D is not there yet I'm sure it will be soon.

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:13:40 am »

When I used a 20D and jumped from a lexar 80x card to an extremeIII card, I managed to get 1 extra raw out at the end of the capture buffer. It didn't make a huge difference.

On copying data off from a reader though, it made a huge difference. These days I feel the real bottleneck is in the buffer of the camera's. How fast is fast enough, so that it doesn't chew up high amounts of power for example.

Under pretty much 'most' circumstances, you'll not notice a difference in the capture side.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:14:14 am by Kagetsu »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:32:35 am »

From what I have read, there is little difference in capture mode but a faster down load of image data.

Steve

linask

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 06:46:04 am »

According to 40D review at juzaphoto.com write speed is 7.53 MB/sec to Ultra II,  11.35 MB/sec to Extreme III and 11.84 MB/sec to Extreme IV.
So there is no noticeable difference between Extreme III and Extreme IV.

Hank

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:31:07 am »

Not specific to the 40 or your question of the III vs IV, we have found at least one circumstance where the combo of card speed and especially buffer write-speed can be a serious factor.  Among our shooting contracts are a variety of events ranging from weddings to dramatic productions and athletic events.  When you shoot a long, buffer-filling series of shots at the end of a card's capacity you have to wait for the buffer to completely download to the card before changing cards to resume shooting.  Waits can seem interminable as the action continues to unfold, but your camera is effively locked up.  

We have to counter that in two ways:  

-Stop shooting and change cards before they are absolutely full if critical action is looming.
-Carry a second camera body with a lens having an overlapping zoom range with the first.

Huge buffers are a bonus most of the time, providing the camera allows you to add shots before the buffer is completely empty (which older bodies such as the Fuji S2 did not).  But a huge buffer is not a bonus at the end of the card if the camera is slow to download it completely.  While card speed is only a component of that process, you will certainly notice its role when you switch from a newer, faster card to an older one.  As a result we're retiring older, slower cards as quickly as we can replace them with the fastest new cards, and meanwhile identifying buffer write speed as a critical criteria in the choice of our next bodies.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:31:56 am by Hank »

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 01:10:06 pm »

...Would I get better image quality with my photos?
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145662\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Since no one has answered this part of your question, the answer is no.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up