Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Requesting some final Z3100 purchase decision help  (Read 2354 times)

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Requesting some final Z3100 purchase decision help
« on: October 12, 2007, 06:18:51 pm »

Hello,

First, thank to all who contribute to this forum.  I appreciate any thought and guiding direction for choice on APS & papers.

I've all but ordered a Z3100.  A paperwork snafu is holding off getting the order done until Monday, so I have a couple more days to dither on a few final questions, primarily if to order APS (if even available).  I've spent time aplenty reading the prior posts, especially Justin's "plea for clarity" post.

First, I am an amatuer photographer and new to printing.  I'm an engineer in my other life, so okay with technical.  Still, most of the color terms are new im my learning curve.  Also, I have color-blindness, which means it takes me extra effort to get things right, even if I can easily see when colors are wrong.  So I will lean on tools more than others.

The HP paper that primarily grabs me is Pro Satin, but not many others.  I would prefer to print on a gentle Pearl - not sure who's.  I think I will end up with just a very few favorite papers.  I'm thinking ICC's are available for some other papers without buying the APS, and least a dealer said his rep has done work to create some (Magiclee??).

What I gather is that the built-in spectro does a good job of calibrating the printer, but the standard paper profiling software is limited, leaving room for the APS up-sale.

For me, APS would be a $630 delta, because I just bought a new i1 display, and it's still sealed so I can get the money back are re-direct towards APS.  So that's a modest incentive to decide from the onset.  However, I understand that some things are best digested in stages.  I'd:

- like to work on optimizing shadow detail
- experiment with other papers, someone please suggest a Pearl-type for me to check out (I'm faintly remembering the 44M from Ilford B&W).
- am no color expert
- am stretching the budget already on the printer, plus I see a $400 paper trimmer in my near future.  I won't be budgeting for any future RIP.

I read that APS is a bargin, that it's performance is lost on some, that's it's impossible to find, etc.  I could just keep the i1 display I bought and wait.  

Ralph

p.s.  also some added newb notes on choosing the Z3100:

I choose the Z3100 partly because I'm familiar with HP roll printers from engineering work, partly because my partner bought one (we can co-misserate), and because of the switching inks feature of the Epson.  But I also managed to get the Bill Atkinson test prints done on Epson & Z3100 to make my final decision, using gloss, satin and matte.  Here's what was seen:

- Neither Epson or HP prints what's on the monitor (Spyder calibrated).  
- Both HP & Epson printed purples in place of blues
- Everything the HP printed had a yellow cast (i.e. jaundice skin)
- Everything the Epson printed had an orange cast (i.e. sunburned skin)
- The Epson separates shadow detail significantly better than the HP
- The dark grays from the Epson looked hazy, but velvety from the HP (as in the B.A. test image with the yellow rose).
- Contrary what I read, the greens looked better on the Epson, probably due to the HP's yellow cast.  
- I thought the best test print of the bunch was HP on Pro Satin, although more saturated than on Photoshop.  
- Just to put an opinion in print, one reason I didn't consider Canon was because I don't want to give their marketing any means of positive feedback from their choice to put a useless "direct print" button on the back of the 5D camera.
I didn't think that the HP or Epson made prints significantly better than the other.  My teenage daughter lent her eye to the evaluation, and I'm no pro.  After my printer is up and running, I could send the test prints to someone else in need.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 12:03:11 am by reburns »

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 06:46:39 pm »

I used my HP rebate check to buy the APS.  I think its a bargain with the Z.  If you have mulitple LF printers and already have a stand alone spectro with all the software you want it probably won't have the same appeal.  I have just my 24" HP Z3100 for LF printing and I love the ease of use of the APS.

I think I create much better profiles with the TC9.18 target versus the Easy targets that are standard.  IMHO the software keeps getting better with each release.  

WRT i1D2 colorimeters I'm starting to get a collection of them.  I've now got one for every machine and laptop.  I didn't set out to do that but bought one to start with, got another with a class and then the APS came with one.  Oh well.
Regards,
Ron

Roscolo

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 11:04:26 pm »

Save your money. After reading your post and your requirements and your budget, I would not spend money on APS. I do not have the APS, and the profiles built without APS have been perfect for me, and I do commercial printing for some very picky customers (artists). Besides, if for any reason you think you do want it, you can just buy it later.

I suspect if HP came out with another version of their profiling system and called it "Extra Good Super Heavy Duty APS" and charged 3x the price, a market for that would probably present itself as well.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:07:33 am »

I have the basic Z3100, and I've been quite happy with the quality of most profiles generated by the built-in spectro. Prints made through the profiles look pretty good to my eye; shadow detail can seem a bit dark, but it's there if the print is lit well enough. After a while you know what to expect and print accordingly.

It does seem to make better profiles with semigloss/luster/satin and other coated photo papers than on cotton rag papers. The profile I made myself for the "free" roll of Hahnemuhle smooth fine art HP provided via their media rebate doesn't do as good a job with the reds as the canned HP profile, though otherwise it's very close. Since the printer calibrates itself to a standardized state, a canned profile will do a fine job.

Finally, the Z3100 is in a league of its own when it comes to black & white. I attended last weekend's digital printing workshop with Bill Atkinson & Charlie Cramer, and they note that (unlike Epson's advanced black & white mode) the printer actually uses the paper's profile when it prints monochrome and this helps tonality. The Z3100 also yields noticeably darker blacks on matte papers than Epson alternatives, something like L* 14 rather than 16+.

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:45:10 pm »

Thanks folks for the thoughtful replies.  I got the basic Z3100 ordered, and will have the hands full with the base version for awhile.  Besides, HP is making the decision easier on APS right now, because there is no available stock.

So now I'll be looking out for some photo papers, including a 12-14" wide roll of Pearl.

Regards,  Ralph
Pages: [1]   Go Up