Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Hang BIG Prints for proofing  (Read 7581 times)

damdeziner

How to Hang BIG Prints for proofing
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 03:47:15 pm »

Hi

My 44" z3100 comes Monday. I have never worked this large before. I want to be able to take the prints from the printer and hang them from something on the wall to examine them.  I have enough wall space that I can have three big prints hanging on the wall at the same time.

How do people do this? Magnets with handles on them?  Clamps of some sort?

I want to be able to lift the big print from the printer, take it over and hang it from the gadget hanging on the wall and look at it for an hour or a day or two.

Nothing I have seen commercially seems right.

What do you use for this purpose?

Thanks for the help!

Dottie, a big print newbie
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is what worked for me in my small and modest office. I glued thin galvanized sheet (4'x8') to 1/8" tempered Duron (masonite). I painted the face white to look better in the environment. The fairly light panel was hung on the wall with a french cleat.  To make your own--rip a board down the length at a 45 degree angle and attach one side of the rip to the wall (into the studs) angled away and pointing up. Then mount the opposing piece to the back of the panel running horizontally across the top. The two ripped pieces interlock and gravity does'nt allow the panel to come loose. It is a good Idea to finish the panel by running a board the thickness as is the top piece so that the panel hangs flat (maybe a little liquid nail on the lower board to hold everything in place.
For magnets-- I am using the small plastic coated (6mmx9mm see link) and they work super. For large work I would definately use the rare earth type mags, they are strong--so strong in fact that they will pinch your fingers (yikes!) I would hang an 8' pano on my wall with the mags I'm using (I would just use more!)
In this posters case I would go to a sheet metal business (heating air-conditioning) and ask them to slice  long strips maybe 2" or 3" in width and glue them to 1/2" plywood (rubber cement). I would secure them to the wall using the existing studs and go as long as one would like or that room allows. one at the top and bottom, maybe one through the middle. Then utilize rare earth.

Mag link:
[a href=\"http://www.gaussboys.com/magnets/cylinders/]http://www.gaussboys.com/magnets/cylinders/[/url]

Good luck,

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up