Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: last light  (Read 6541 times)

rbayle

last light
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:02:34 pm »

I captured the last light before night, in vancouver (third beach) at 200mm.
nothing in photoshop except RAW conversion and some curve corrections.

what do you think about it?

thank you
romain

romain bayle pictures
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 12:39:10 pm by rbayle »

sinc

• http://pbase.com/sinc
last light
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:48:05 pm »

I don't comment on photos unless I think the photographer is very good. I passed this on this one. Then I saw your website and photographs and was very impressed. You are indeed a talented photographer. Consequently, I returned and saw this photograph in a new light, so to speak. And I think it's a good photograph.

I have a hard time seeing this photograph standing by itself, however, as a good photograph should. Yet taken together with your other photographs (or memory of your other photographs), it is very striking. Perhaps it's best place is on a wall (or on a website or in a gallery) with some of your other photographs as part of a visual collection.
Joseph T. Sinclair, Author

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
last light
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 02:27:54 pm »

I have a hard time seeing this photograph standing by itself, however, as a good photograph should.

I think Joseph summed it up very well.  As a single photograph it's 'nice' but doesn't stand out.  The colours are good, but there's nothing to hold the viewer's interest...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

blansky

last light
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:19:46 pm »

I see by your website that your photographs have a sort of sad or melancholy feel to them (in my opinion)  and devoid of people. Not making good or bad judgements, just my opinion.

This particular picture is Ok but as has been stated, there is no real interest to draw one to it.

Michael

rbayle

last light
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 12:00:25 pm »

I see by your website that your photographs have a sort of sad or melancholy feel to them (in my opinion)  and devoid of people. Not making good or bad judgements, just my opinion.

This particular picture is Ok but as has been stated, there is no real interest to draw one to it.

Michael
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thank you all of you for yours comments!
very interesting!

don't worry I'm not sad  
I like empty and quiet places, just me and a nice reason to press the shutter.

romain
[a href=\"http://www.romainbayle.com]romain bayle pictures[/url]

Andres Bonilla

last light
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:05:14 pm »

Romain I went thru your website and you have some wonderful photos there, your matt paintings are also execellent. The photo that you posted here is my least favorite, have you posted any of the other great photos on this forum?

Andres

rbayle

last light
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:20:10 pm »

Romain I went thru your website and you have some wonderful photos there, your matt paintings are also execellent. The photo that you posted here is my least favorite, have you posted any of the other great photos on this forum?

Andres
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I published few pictures (around 4)
I never really tried to publish my work, but few people told me I should to it, so...

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3479]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....pe=post&id=3479[/url]
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....pe=post&id=3542

thank you for your comment
romain
romain bayle pictures

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
last light
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 06:09:56 pm »

Romain, Thanks for this opportunity to comment. Firstly I must say that I really am instantly irritated that a watermark of your name is splattered across all your images. I find them extremely distracting. Why not put a really low res jpg that cannot be duplicated if you are concerned.

Firstly to your website - rather than this particular image.  Some of your images I have found to be quite interesting. I like the way you use depth of field and blurriness on some of your images. I do find however that some of the blurry/misty thing a bit overdone.

I like the way you see and present the world through your composition and colour. Sometimes however your images feel like they have been overworked and feel laboured. Hard to explain - some feel like they have had so much work (not sure whether they have or not- it just feels that way to me),  that their life force or energy or spontaneity has been lost. Perhaps that is what Michael was referring to when he said he felt a 'melancholy ' feel to them.

The one presented here I find too complicated to be serene yet too simple to be interesting. Once again your watermark mars the image because it co-insides with the in focus area in the photograph.

Julie

rbayle

last light
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 06:30:53 pm »

Romain, Thanks for this opportunity to comment. Firstly I must say that I really am instantly irritated that a watermark of your name is splattered across all your images. I find them extremely distracting. Why not put a really low res jpg that cannot be duplicated if you are concerned.

Firstly to your website - rather than this particular image.  Some of your images I have found to be quite interesting. I like the way you use depth of field and blurriness on some of your images. I do find however that some of the blurry/misty thing a bit overdone.

I like the way you see and present the world through your composition and colour. Sometimes however your images feel like they have been overworked and feel laboured. Hard to explain - some feel like they have had so much work (not sure whether they have or not- it just feels that way to me),  that their life force or energy or spontaneity has been lost. Perhaps that is what Michael was referring to when he said he felt a 'melancholy ' feel to them.

The one presented here I find too complicated to be serene yet too simple to be interesting. Once again your watermark mars the image because it co-insides with the in focus area in the photograph.

Julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sorry for the watermark but some people don't have any problem to use picture without permission.

your comment about the way my pictures look is very interesting, can you show me a particular one, that is overworked.
there's no special photoshop work on it, curve, black and white conversion.
color are coming for nature, blur from long exposure or depth of field.
none of my pictures are retouched (erasing, moving stuffs...)

I'm talking about the photos of my websites, not the matte paintings, that is another world, vfx industry is way different, nothing is real

again very interesting comment, it's good to be critized
romain

button

• http://
last light
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:51:09 am »

Romain, I like the water, and I think that maybe you're trying to draw the viewer through its highlights into its darkness.  If that is your goal, then you might want to try a different rendering of the sun/clouds.  I think their brightness and distribution competes for the viewer's attention, and disrupts the feel of this image.  Maybe a reprocessing of the clouds or an alternate crop (with less sky) would help?

John

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
last light
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 06:31:19 am »

sorry for the watermark but some people don't have any problem to use picture without permission.

your comment about the way my pictures look is very interesting, can you show me a particular one, that is overworked.
there's no special photoshop work on it, curve, black and white conversion.
color are coming for nature, blur from long exposure or depth of field.
none of my pictures are retouched (erasing, moving stuffs...)

I'm talking about the photos of my websites, not the matte paintings, that is another world, vfx industry is way different, nothing is real

again very interesting comment, it's good to be critized
romain
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry it has taken me a while to respond.

Firstly, you requested examples of images which I find a bit 'overworked'. Starting in the Landscape gallery, many of the images seem to have pronounced vignetting, which in my mind looks more created rather than an artifact of the lens. I do stand to be corrected though if this is not the case.

I also find the colours too saturated for my liking and I think have been pushed too far. I have a calibrated monitor and I find the blues pushing on the 'surreal' side.

Regardless of one's intention to keep 'colours coming from nature', by the sheer nature of the Raw converting programme or in camera processor you are using, parameters for colour are either predetermined (in camera) or determined (on auto in Raw converter) or adjusted manually using sliders whilst converting. By the sheer nature of photography, either with film or digital, replicating the exact colours - even if it is what is required is nearly impossible - and most process images to what they find a pleasing replication or just plain pleasing. One needs to always create colour which pleases youself - and yours do that for you - I just find some of them  too saturated.

In the travel section of your site, once again the vignetting is very pronounced. In three of the images only one corner is darkened which I don't think works.

I think the main things which don't appeal to me which suggest overworking are - pronounced vignetting, sometimes unbalanced ; and over- saturated colours, especially in the landscape section of your folio.

Julie
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 06:35:12 am by jule »

rbayle

last light
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 12:02:22 pm »

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond.

Firstly, you requested examples of images which I find a bit 'overworked'. Starting in the Landscape gallery, many of the images seem to have pronounced vignetting, which in my mind looks more created rather than an artifact of the lens. I do stand to be corrected though if this is not the case.

I also find the colours too saturated for my liking and I think have been pushed too far. I have a calibrated monitor and I find the blues pushing on the 'surreal' side.

Regardless of one's intention to keep 'colours coming from nature', by the sheer nature of the Raw converting programme or in camera processor you are using, parameters for colour are either predetermined (in camera) or determined (on auto in Raw converter) or adjusted manually using sliders whilst converting. By the sheer nature of photography, either with film or digital, replicating the exact colours - even if it is what is required is nearly impossible - and most process images to what they find a pleasing replication or just plain pleasing. One needs to always create colour which pleases youself - and yours do that for you - I just find some of them  too saturated.

In the travel section of your site, once again the vignetting is very pronounced. In three of the images only one corner is darkened which I don't think works.

I think the main things which don't appeal to me which suggest overworking are - pronounced vignetting, sometimes unbalanced ; and over- saturated colours, especially in the landscape section of your folio.

Julie
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cool!
this is what I call good critics!...but I won't change anything...

that's the way I work, photo and movie works and people like it like that!
I don't like making pictures that look like real life, not exiting enough for me, so I push a little bit more...

(My system is also calibrated, nothing is crashed, the vignetting is coming from the lenses, and if it's more visible on one side, it's because of the polarized filter).

thank you
romain
[a href=\"http://www.romainbayle.com]romain bayle pictures[/url]
Pages: [1]   Go Up