Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: H'blad drops the other shoe...  (Read 39753 times)

Eurotographer

H'blad drops the other shoe...
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 04:44:56 pm »

Can you use the new 28mm with your H1/2 ?  Also why do I have to upgrade every 3/5 years ? I didn't have to with my Hassleblad V system !

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145377\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 28mm can't be used with the H1/H2, but it also wasn't available when most people purchased their H1/H2's and when it did become available it was made very clear that it wouldn't.  Basically the functionality of your h1/H2 has not changed in a negative way ever.  There have been many refinements to the firmware for the H system that updates all h1's, H2's and the H3D's, so to say that H1 users have been left behind is nonsense.

You do not HAVE to upgrade, what you buy today or bought 3/5 years ago works just as it always has, just because a manufacturer comes out with soethign new doesn't mean your old stuff doesn't work anymore, and unlike the 35mm DSLR's at least you do have a path that isn't paying full price.

Streetshooter

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 04:59:53 pm »

The 28mm can't be used with the H1/H2, but it also wasn't available when most people purchased their H1/H2's and when it did become available it was made very clear that it wouldn't.  Basically the functionality of your h1/H2 has not changed in a negative way ever.  There have been many refinements to the firmware for the H system that updates all h1's, H2's and the H3D's, so to say that H1 users have been left behind is nonsense.

You do not HAVE to upgrade, what you buy today or bought 3/5 years ago works just as it always has, just because a manufacturer comes out with soethign new doesn't mean your old stuff doesn't work anymore, and unlike the 35mm DSLR's at least you do have a path that isn't paying full price.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145383\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Despite your reasoned arguments once again Hasselblad have upset more of their customers - me not included.

My contention is that Medium Format Digital needs as many customers as it can get and Hasselblad is going the right way to putting people off. Thank heavens for Mamiya is all I can say. A new DSLR is still cheaper than an upgrade to a new digital back !

Pete

samuel_js

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 05:13:22 pm »

This is no 100% true. If my H2 body breaks  there's no replacement from my dealer. Yes, an used one but do you know how much do they cost on Ebay? 4000 Euro or something? Just insane. You can buy a mamiya body for 500 € or a contax for about 800 on Ebay, but a Hasselblad H? Just no way...

All I can say is that my H2 arrived for one month ago. I've had H1, Contax 645, Mamiya AFDII and at least I decided to go with the H series again. WRONG DECISION!!
Ohh yes, Hasselblad is putting me off...

Eurotographer

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 05:22:22 pm »

This is no 100% true. If my H2 body breaks  there's no replacement from my dealer. Yes, an used one but do you know how much do they cost on Ebay? 4000 Euro or something? Just insane. You can buy a mamiya body for 500 € or a contax for about 800 on Ebay, but a Hasselblad H? Just no way...

All I can say is that my H2 arrived for one month ago. I've had H1, Contax 645, Mamiya AFDII and at least I decided to go with the H series again. WRONG DECISION!!
Ohh yes, Hasselblad is putting me off...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hasselblad has said they will continue to repair H series for at least 7 years.  You can still get an old V series repaired as well, seems they stand behind their products pretty well.  Too bad you bought the Contax, how do you get a new replacement for that now??

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 05:58:48 pm »

Basically the functionality of your h1/H2 has not changed in a negative way ever.  There have been many refinements to the firmware for the H system that updates all h1's, H2's and the H3D's, so to say that H1 users have been left behind is nonsense.

of course the functionality has changed with this announcement...your H1 and 2 you bought 2 months ago is obsolete for any other future back other then hasselblad...actually for those as well...do you really think that phase leaf or sinar will make their next back in a H mount?

defending hasselblads desicion from a financial and market position standpoint i up for debate and future will tell it it was the right one for them..... but saying that after todays announcement that H1 and 2 owners aren't left out in the rain is just crazy...sorry...

the writing was on the wall....anyone who bought a H camera to use with a non hasselblad back in the last year had their blinders on....

jpjespersen

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 06:01:35 pm »

Hasselblad has said they will continue to repair H series for at least 7 years.  You can still get an old V series repaired as well, seems they stand behind their products pretty well.  Too bad you bought the Contax, how do you get a new replacement for that now??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe this will teach prospective hasselblad users and current owners that their trusted company only cares about the financial bottom line, not the customer- IMO.  
I was considering Hasselblad until they released the H3D with lenses that only worked with the H3D and Hasselblad backs.
I ended up going with Phase one and a Mamiya system, hoping to upgrade to the Rollei HY6 when it becomes available.

Streetshooter

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 06:19:12 pm »

Hasselblad has said they will continue to repair H series for at least 7 years.  You can still get an old V series repaired as well, seems they stand behind their products pretty well.  Too bad you bought the Contax, how do you get a new replacement for that now??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145392\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Anybody would think you worked for Hasselblad !  I wonder.......

Pete

hubell

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 06:29:09 pm »

Maybe this will teach prospective hasselblad users and current owners that their trusted company only cares about the financial bottom line, not the customer- IMO. 
I was considering Hasselblad until they released the H3D with lenses that only worked with the H3D and Hasselblad backs.
I ended up going with Phase one and a Mamiya system, hoping to upgrade to the Rollei HY6 when it becomes available.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My guess is that you were only considering the Hasselblad H series as a platform for a Phase back; a Hasselblad back was never on the radar screen. And, that's exactly why Hasselblad did what it did. They apparently made a strategic business decision that they could not prosper in the future as a camera maker selling cameras and lenses for use with Phase and Leaf backs, while trying to compete with Canon. Becoming Contax or Mamiya was not acceptable. Who knows if the decision will pay off for Hasselblad. For end users, we may all wish that things were different in an ideal world. You could have an H platform that worked with all H lenses and all digital backs. Others could have a completely integrated Hasselblad product of camera, lenses and back that worked seamlessly with the Hasselblad software. However, assume that ideal world is off the table and the choice is between a market in which we have an H3D that works as a seamless package with new lenses, accesories and software or, alternatively, a market in which Hasselblad goes under and becomes a new version of Contax. Which alternative do you prefer? Is it so clear to you that the latter alternative is preferable for us as end users?

jpjespersen

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 06:34:33 pm »

No actually I was greatly considering a Hasselblad back only. but when I saw that they screwed over their H2D users I took this as a hint that maybe one day they might do it again.

My guess is that you were only considering the Hasselblad H series as a platform for a Phase back; a Hasselblad back was never on the radar screen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145406\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hubell

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 06:53:18 pm »

No actually I was greatly considering a Hasselblad back only. but when I saw that they screwed over their H2D users I took this as a hint that maybe one day they might do it again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did they screw over the H2D users? I though they were given a very favorable upgrade path to an H3D. (In contrast to the H3D owners who have to pay $15K to upgrade to an H3DII.)

jpjespersen

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 06:58:04 pm »

Did they screw over the H2D users? I though they were given a very favorable upgrade path to an H3D. (In contrast to the H3D owners who have to pay $15K to upgrade to an H3DII.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145411\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes,  In my opinion.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 07:01:04 pm »

What's the implications for Phase One?

And if a photographer wants a detachable back to use on a technical camera as well as on a medium format camera can the detachable back from the H3D be used witha technical camera?

Photomangreg

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 07:20:33 pm »

What's the implications for Phase One?

And if a photographer wants a detachable back to use on a technical camera as well as on a medium format camera can the detachable back from the H3D be used witha technical camera?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The back on an H3D can be removed and used on anything that will accept an H mount.

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 08:14:02 pm »

The back on an H3D can be removed and used on anything that will accept an H mount.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145418\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to drive the point home, can we now not assume that the H4D will be Uni-Body Construction, like the Canon? Isn't it headed that way?

Nick-T

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 10:01:22 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145408\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm sorry but what a load of rubbish.. H2D owners were offered upgrades to the H3D for 1000 euros or in many cases at no charge.

I do wish people would get their facts straight THEN start bashing Hasselblad.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Nick-T

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 10:05:25 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145401\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah apparently the Hy6 is completely open.. you can put any back on it (Phase, megavision, Bigshot etc) and their unique mounting system means you will be able to put ANY lens on the Camera. Also you will be able to take a Leaf Afi back and put it on a Sinar badged Hy6..

Nick-T
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']PLEASE NOTE THE ABOVE POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF SARCASM[/span]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 10:23:11 pm by Nick-T »
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 10:18:17 pm »

Yeah apparently the Hy6 is completely open.. you can put any back on it (Phase, megavision, Bigshot etc) and their unique mounting system means you will be able to put ANY lens on the Camera. Also you will be able to take a Leaf Afi back and put it on a Sinar badged Hy6..

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145440\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

a camera can only let backs get mounted on it...and most backs in circulation today have camera specific mounts, so the idea that the Hy6 will all of a sudden magically morph to accept all backs is ridiculous.....i think you should get your arguments straight before bashing people here....who by the way seem to have made the correct choice for their needs...even if they did not know why at the time....

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 10:31:19 pm »

I never liked the H2 camera anyways.....used it on 3 jobs and had problems on 2 of them...lens didn't connect, and other stupid issues.

So I am glad I decided for the Mamiya 645AFDII..works like a charm and never has any other problems than empty batteries (and AA's are available everywhere!) and as an added benifit I can use the same back on my other Mamiya 67 as well....if I need to shoot over 125

clayh

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 10:35:58 pm »

Well, I feel the perfect fool. I just got a new H2 and P45+ a few months ago. So now I have an orphaned camera. Thank goodness some of the view camera adapters can take an H mount. But the whole point of the Phase/Blad combo was that they were integrated and talked to one another electronically. So I guess it is a good thing that I am very happy with what this system does today, but hoping for any future firmware improvements to the camera is not terribly realistic.

Standing back from this a little bit, I'll bet that the people at Phase One are going to have some serious discussions over the next few days. This announcement leaves them with very few full MF system camera options at the moment.

Anyone know how easy it is to get phase to change the mount on a P45 to another system like the Mamiya?

a camera can only let backs get mounted on it...and most backs in circulation today have camera specific mounts, so the idea that the Hy6 will all of a sudden magically morph to accept all backs is ridiculous.....i think you should get your arguments straight before bashing people here....who by the way seem to have made the correct choice for their needs...even if they did not know why at the time....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 10:41:18 pm »

The quote I received a year ago was $2500 and it was about 4 weeks wait.
However I believe that with Phase you have an option to change the mount in the first year. I am just relying on my memory. Do not hold me to the last part.
Andre
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up