Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG and Phase One  (Read 2672 times)

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
DNG and Phase One
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:07:26 pm »

Need a second opinion.  After a near disaster with my back up system I decided to change the method of back up.  I decided that in order to save space and have what will hopefully be a better archival file, to save the files in DNG format.  This works well for my Canon files.  The files saved in DNG are much smaller therefore I can fit more files onto a DVD than before.  The problem begin when I attempt to save Phase One files to DNG.  The file sizes grow not shrink.  I think I read somewhere that Phase doesn't support DNG.  Am I correct?  BTW, I'm using a 64 bit windows 8 GB Ram machine (if that matters) and using CS3 ACR 4.2 to open and save the files.  

I think I know what the answer is going to be - but just in case there's a better work around I'm all ears .....

Don

ternst

DNG and Phase One
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:06:12 pm »

Same here. I've always been puzzled why my p-45 dng files were much larger than the .tif RAW files - so I never use dng - I thought I was doing something wrong. I wish someone at phase one would name their RAW files ANYTHING but .tif files - I thought the original Canon 1ds was the only one stupid enough for that sort of thing...

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
DNG and Phase One
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:53:18 pm »

So, because Phase uses TIF as an extension to their RAW files the little guys inside the computer are confused as they attempt to convert to DNG therefore making the files larger than what they need/should be.

That was my general feelings on the matter but I wanted to bounce it off someone here first before throwing in the towel and keep archiving the files the way I have.

Thanks, at least I now know for sure that I'm not alone in the boat!    

don

Jeffreytotaro

DNG and Phase One
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:11:36 pm »

I think Phase will support DNG in v4, the pro version, when it comes out next year.  Hopefully you'll be able to apply the lens cast calibration and then output to DNG.  That would be a good move their part.
Jeffrey Totaro
[url=http://www.jeffreyto

JDG

DNG and Phase One
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 04:02:33 pm »

I think Phase will support DNG in v4, the pro version, when it comes out next year.  Hopefully you'll be able to apply the lens cast calibration and then output to DNG.  That would be a good move their part.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145231\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DNG is supported in and out in V4 both LE and Pro.  The reason for the Tif extension is that it allows any software to view the preview image even if the software cannot understand RAW.  Actually seems like a pretty good idea to me.

The reason your phase dng files are larger is because Phase uses a much more advanced method of compression on the files than DNG.  My understanding is that DNG also does not allow for some of the extra information that Phase can fit in their files such as black calibration data which lowers noise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up