Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Support for x64 Windows  (Read 3477 times)

Recked

Adobe Support for x64 Windows
« on: October 10, 2007, 06:44:04 pm »

Hello,

I have been going back and forth for a while whether I am going to build a new Windows based machine or just get a Mac and was on the Adobe site today check system specs and was a bit surprised to see they only certify both CS3 and Lightroom for 32 bit operating systems.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that if you could you were best to run at least CS3 in a 64 bit enviroment???

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciate and sorry if this is posted to the wrong spot.

thanks

tived

• http://
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:16:31 am »

Hello,

I have been going back and forth for a while whether I am going to build a new Windows based machine or just get a Mac and was on the Adobe site today check system specs and was a bit surprised to see they only certify both CS3 and Lightroom for 32 bit operating systems.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that if you could you were best to run at least CS3 in a 64 bit enviroment???

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciate and sorry if this is posted to the wrong spot.

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don;t know if this is going to help you, but I run CS3 and before that CS2 on windows XP x64 just fine with 8 gb of ram. You can access more ram on the x64 in PS as oppose to the plain x32 :-)

on the right hardware, windows xp x64 has been extreemely stable, I have it on two different systems Intel Quadcore and AMD Dual Opteron Dual Core, and on both there has been no problems on the OS side of things - I have recently installed Vista Ultimate x64 on the Intel, and it seems to be working like a charme, so far - no really heavy use yet. The Intel is currently just to test the waters.

It is very unfortunately that Adobe has not provided proper support for x64 this time around, I think it is disappointing. However, CS3 is working, I am using the Creative Suite Design Premium CS3 and I haven't had any problems yet! ;-)

good luck - if you need any further help with config of your machine let me know, I am happy to help

Henrik
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:17:29 am by tived »

Recked

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:00:37 pm »

Hello Henrik,

Thanks for your kind offer. I will warn you that when given the opportunity I tend to ask many questions!    

Anyway I am just finalizing a lease for a new HP 8710 Core 2 Duo laptop (2.6 ghz processor) and ordered it with XP Pro. I was going to install the x64 version of XP just to ensure I get full use of the max 4 gig of memory on the laptop. I was also planning on rebuilding my desktop machine with the below specs and also install XP x64 to make full use of the 8 gig of memory, but worried I will have compatiblity issues with the software below. The desktop machine is used only for driving my HP Z3100 and doing Photoshop/Lightroom work and is disconnected from the Net until I need to update any apps:

Photoshop CS2/CS3
Lightroom 1.2
Photokit Shapener
Noise Ninja
Noiseware Pro

Rebuild Desktop Specs:

Memory (8 gig total) =CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D -

Video Card = XFX PVT80GTHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDCP Video Card - Retail

Motherboard = ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Hard Drive 1 (Apps Only) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hard Drive 2 (Scratch Disk 1) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hard Drive 3 (Scratch Disk 2) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hard Drive 4 (Files Only) = HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail

CPU Cooler = Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

All files are then automatically back up to three 1T external hard drives and each year I archive off the full year of to double sets of dvds.

Anyway if you see any glaring issues I would greatly appreciate your help.

thanks again

I don;t know if this is going to help you, but I run CS3 and before that CS2 on windows XP x64 just fine with 8 gb of ram. You can access more ram on the x64 in PS as oppose to the plain x32 :-)

on the right hardware, windows xp x64 has been extreemely stable, I have it on two different systems Intel Quadcore and AMD Dual Opteron Dual Core, and on both there has been no problems on the OS side of things - I have recently installed Vista Ultimate x64 on the Intel, and it seems to be working like a charme, so far - no really heavy use yet. The Intel is currently just to test the waters.

It is very unfortunately that Adobe has not provided proper support for x64 this time around, I think it is disappointing. However, CS3 is working, I am using the Creative Suite Design Premium CS3 and I haven't had any problems yet! ;-)

good luck - if you need any further help with config of your machine let me know, I am happy to help

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tived

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:23:50 pm »

Hello Henrik,

Thanks for your kind offer. I will warn you that when given the opportunity I tend to ask many questions!   

Anyway I am just finalizing a lease for a new HP 8710 Core 2 Duo laptop (2.6 ghz processor) and ordered it with XP Pro. I was going to install the x64 version of XP just to ensure I get full use of the max 4 gig of memory on the laptop. I was also planning on rebuilding my desktop machine with the below specs and also install XP x64 to make full use of the 8 gig of memory, but worried I will have compatiblity issues with the software below. The desktop machine is used only for driving my HP Z3100 and doing Photoshop/Lightroom work and is disconnected from the Net until I need to update any apps:

Photoshop CS2/CS3
Lightroom 1.2
Photokit Shapener
Noise Ninja
Noiseware Pro

Rebuild Desktop Specs:

Memory (8 gig total) =CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-8500C5D -

Video Card = XFX PVT80GTHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported HDCP Video Card - Retail

Motherboard = ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Hard Drive 1 (Apps Only) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hard Drive 2 (Scratch Disk 1) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hard Drive 3 (Scratch Disk 2) = Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hard Drive 4 (Files Only) = HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 HDS721010KLA330 (0A34915) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail

CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6700 - Retail
CPU Cooler = Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - Retail

All files are then automatically back up to three 1T external hard drives and each year I archive off the full year of to double sets of dvds.

Anyway if you see any glaring issues I would greatly appreciate your help.

thanks again
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for the late reply - had to do some actual work :-)

Your machine looks nice, I would definately run with XP x64, very stable and it will also be familiar to what you are used to if you previously have been running XP x32. Vista which i think is nice, so far, take a little getting used to, but nothing earth shatting ;-)

Are the Western Digital JD drives new or old, or am I mixing them up with the older JB drives?
I am not sure if you are not better off, stripping your two scratch disk together as one, if the mainboard has a good raid controller, I know that the stripping is faster but if the particular controller onboard is going to give a good boost is another question, but you can try, it isn't hard to configure.

nice graphics card, looks like we got a gamer hidden here ;-)

let us know when you get it together

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up