Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Announcement  (Read 23625 times)

paulhu

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 11:36:45 pm »

allowing for improved high-ISO capability, [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145203\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not in FlexColor 4.8.1,  I believe in the next version (Phocus). I downloaded the software today, and  I am in the processing of trying all the new features.

In order to use the thumbwheels to control digital menu options, I had to go to  one of the custom settings on my H3D digital back to make the wheels ACTIVE first.

TechTalk

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 02:11:26 am »

Hah! 
They took an advanced camera like the H series, made it have electronic communication with digital backs, nice AF, and all these digital features, then they turn it into the H2F, which requires a CABLE to use Leaf/Phase backs!  Hilarious.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Other than triggering the back, which can be done with a simple sync cable, what communication do Leaf or Phase One backs have with the H1/H2?
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

TechTalk

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 02:26:56 am »

they same actually goes for a pro who (unlike the pros in here) is NOT a gadget freak and just needs a camera that works, is supported by the next rental house and that shuts the AD up in terms of tech stats....[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145232\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
You haven't taken any notice of the announcement today of the multi-shot addition to the H3D.

Do you think there's ever any value in having full RGB data for each pixel? Or is 1/3 real data and 2/3 software interpolation always just as good for any real "pro" photographer's satisfaction and desire for image quality.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:14:47 am by TechTalk »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 03:25:01 am »

I could use multishot!

The color polution of single shot can be downright horrible. It also takes care of color moire. My next upgrade would have been from CF39 to CF39MS but I am wondering whether that is a good choice at this moment. I am wondering as well whether the CF line will be the next to be killed.

Maybe it is time to start looking in the Sinar camp.

Maybe these things are a good business decision from the POV of Hasselblad but as an user I am not amused.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:24:41 am by Dustbak »

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 06:50:58 am »

About a week ago I saw a Hasselblad presentation made by Hasselblad employee from Denmark. In this brief Hasselblad presentation they estimate or state that the High End digital market is about 100.000 units (read dSLRs, which ones are not described).

During the past few years the sales of medium format cameras (total market) like 500 series and including H1 and H2 and other medium format cameras has diminishued from about 60.000 units to only a few thousands in 2006. Hasselblad sees this as the major reason to manufacture only dSLRs.

Anyway I don't quite follow their logic but their presentation was enlightening. The presentation also featured information on their sales. It was clear that the H3D is their most wanted product and about 80% of total sales, probably excluding lenses and accessories but the presentation doesn't go into details. Their turnover in 2006 was about 16 million euros with an expected growth of 18% for 2007. But ofcourse this is from their brief presentation and now from me so there is a chance I got something wrong but this is how I recall it. According to this the sales of medium format digital cameras are in thousands rather than in tens where Hasselblad wants to take it.

Besides customer service and to keep existing customers happy are obviously marketing tools of a gone era even how much we would wish otherwise. Today profit is the only thing that anybody cares and maybe Hasselblad is not making enough profits out of H2 users/sales. Once we, H1 and H2 users, have bought their lenses and bodies our profit revenues are gone. H3D customers on the otherhand will bring +10.000 or so every other year when upgrading. With such a small market maybe this is the only way. Maybe we should be thank full that they still even allow us to buy H2F even if it is with a cable.

Patrik
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

Eurotographer

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 12:03:54 pm »

Lets see, joined yesterday, first post today that includes information that so far can't be substantiated.   Okay, let me think about this  .........
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145197\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess next time I post something I'll be sure to include two letters of reference, a paystub, and submit myself to a polygraph test.....

I guess you are all so used to reading lies here that you can't trust anyone!

A little bit of advice from someone who has been there and seen that, get out from behind your computers, go to your local dealer, look at the new gear from all the manufacturers, and talk to the reps, you will get good information and the chance to see it yourself!  A forum is a great place to ask questions, but as you all see, the answers vary so much from person to person that the only way to make an informed decision is to get out there and see it and use it yourself.

SeanBK

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 12:14:14 pm »

A little bit of advice from someone who has been there and seen that, get out from behind your computers, go to your local dealer, look at the new gear from all the manufacturers, and talk to the reps, you will get good information and the chance to see it yourself!  A forum is a great place to ask questions, but as you all see, the answers vary so much from person to person that the only way to make an informed decision is to get out there and see it and use it yourself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here, Here. Less than a week (by @ 3:hrs) Photoplus Expo opens with Hasselblad Studio & their booths. Just ask them all the questions & see the products untill then it is just guesstimate?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:15:04 pm by SeanBK »

Steve Kerman

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2007, 01:34:34 pm »

As much as in my selfish way I am opposed to the way Hasselblad direct their business I have to say that upon deeper reflection on this subject I think that from business prospective they are making the wisest decission  under the current market conditions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145222\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, it could work.  Look at IBM--they initially captured and essentially owned 90+% of the personal computer market by creating an "open standard" that anybody could build to.  Then they decided that they were tired of other companies leeching off of what they'd created, so they introduced a new series, the PS/2, that closed the architecture by using a proprietary bus, the Microchannel Architecture (MCA), in place of the standard "ISA" bus they'd used on earlier models.  By doing this, they forced everyone into their proprietary architecture, and recaptured 100% of the market.

Edit: Oops, a Google search reveals that what I just described are projections from the IBM marketing plan as it existed prior to the PS/2 introduction.  In more recent news, it seems that IBM has sold off the remants of their PC business to some Chinese company I never heard of...

« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:25:00 pm by Steve Kerman »

JDG

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2007, 03:01:44 pm »

Other than triggering the back, which can be done with a simple sync cable, what communication do Leaf or Phase One backs have with the H1/H2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With Phase and H2 you can view the histogram on the camera lcd screen, the camera will not fire until the back is ready, remaining shots show on lcd screen, etc.

TechTalk

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2007, 09:27:24 pm »

Edit: Oops, a Google search reveals that what I just described are projections from the IBM marketing plan as it existed prior to the PS/2 introduction.  In more recent news, it seems that IBM has sold off the remants of their PC business to some Chinese company I never heard of...

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
In more recent medium-format news, it seems that following the death of Bronica, Contax, and Fuji medium format cameras–Mamiya sold off their camera/optical division to a Japanese IT company that I never heard of, for the grand sum of 100 million Yen (about $850,000 U.S. dollars) plus an undisclosed amount of debt, in order to focus on the part of Mamiya that was profitable (fishing rods, golf club shafts and pachinko machines).

Less than a million dollars in cash to buy Mamiya last year. I wonder what conclusion that leads you to regarding the business model of making medium-format cameras and lenses on which to mount third-party backs.

Those still alive are trying very hard to package and sell integrated systems from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 09:31:23 pm by TechTalk »

TechTalk

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 09:36:45 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With Phase and H2 you can view the histogram on the camera lcd screen, the camera will not fire until the back is ready, remaining shots show on lcd screen, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for your reply. Good information. I asked the question because I didn't know and a quick search didn't result in any answers. Can you fill me in on the etc.? I'd like to know just how different using a sync cable for triggering with the H2F is compared to using an H1/H2.

Thanks again for the information.

TechTalk

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2007, 09:51:57 pm »

Well, it could work.  Look at IBM--they initially captured and essentially owned 90+% of the personal computer market by creating an "open standard" that anybody could build to.  Then they decided that they were tired of other companies leeching off of what they'd created, so they introduced a new series, the PS/2, that closed the architecture by using a proprietary bus, the Microchannel Architecture (MCA), in place of the standard "ISA" bus they'd used on earlier models.  By doing this, they forced everyone into their proprietary architecture, and recaptured 100% of the market.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145554\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Apple, on the other hand, focused on a proprietary operating system integrated with unique hardware design, then revolutionized the digital music market that integrated the music player with music download and captured 70% of that market. Apple has been on a roll with soaring profits and increasing market share.

I think you make a good point with your post here, integration is where the future lies. Thanks for the spotlight on the future!

Steve Kerman

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2007, 10:11:41 pm »

Since you quoted 3/4th's of my post out of context, I would like to point out that that post was intended to be satire that was dripping with sarcasm.

TechTalk

Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2007, 10:20:53 pm »

Since you quoted 3/4th's of my post out of context, I would like to point out that that post was intended to be satire that was dripping with sarcasm.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145638\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, I know. I got it. I just thought that I'd take my turn and let the market decide.

erick.boileau

• http://
Hasselblad Announcement
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 10:11:29 am »

Hasselblad H2F - official replacement for current H2, continuing with film-back functionality, as well as continuing the be an "open" platform for PhaseOne / Leaf / Sinar (and others) back users. Some features have been removed, and digital back sync functionality via cable. More details to come...
Hi
As the above quote, does this mean the H2 is a better camera for digital backs of the third party ( Leaf, Sinar, phase ). Will this make the H2 more valuable now? At Photokina last year Hasselblad was going to drop the H2 & decided not to. Then again it is there business & they are going forward with the H3D systems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145216\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

it will work with P45 ??
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up