Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flatbed scanner recomendations  (Read 2313 times)

charlier

flatbed scanner recomendations
« on: October 10, 2007, 03:54:35 pm »

I want to purchase a scanner for my lab.  I usually use a drum scan service most work, but I'd like to purchase an "in-house" flatbed scanner as well.   I use an Intel Mac with an Epson 3800 printer.  Fine-art images go to a professional digital printing service.  I use 35mm and 4"x5" negatives.  I am considering purchasing an Epson 750M Pro, but would consider other brands (e.g., Imacon or Microteck).  Does anyone have experience with the Epson or suggestions?  Thanks.
Cheers, Charlie

Doug Fisher

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:37:13 am »

Are you buying a flatbed to just proof things and then send them out to the drum scanner for final scans?  A flatbed isn't going to be anywhere near as sharp as a drum scanner.  You are going from a Ferrari of a scanner to a Honda of a scanner.  Competent for what it does at its price point but not comparable and "you get what you pay for."

Doug
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 08:37:33 am by Doug Fisher »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:05:15 pm »

I am a big fan of maintaining a dedicated film scanner for film scanning and a flatbed for reflective scanning. Of course large format film scanners aren't inexpensive so a flatbed that can scan large format film could prove convenient as long as the enlargement isn't too great. I see lots of Nikon 9000s and Imacon scanners sitting on top of drum scanners these days. Your drum scanner might be a sleek 90s Ferrari but that Imacon is a modern Lexus with much better air conditioning.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

charlier

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 11:56:30 pm »

Doug makes a good point.  I will use the flatbed scanner mostly for proofing, but sometimes I might be able to "get away" with a good scan (is this possible?) for more casual prints or posters.  I am not sure what one gets for the money these days with flatbed scanners - what does one get for say $1000-$1500?  Charlie
Pages: [1]   Go Up