Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: quick last minute trip - Southwest - Hawaii??  (Read 7147 times)

Khurram

quick last minute trip - Southwest - Hawaii??
« on: October 09, 2007, 08:40:22 pm »

My company is being taken over, i've already turned down there transfer offer to Houston, so i may have the last 10 days of this month off.  I was thinking of a last minute trip to either the southwest, where i was considering either Zion and Havasu falls or going somewhere where we haven't been.  My wife has wanted to go to hawaii for a while.

If we go to zion, do we still have to take the shuttle buses at the end of October???  Is that still a good time of the year to hike the Narrows?? how hard is it to get last minute accomodation at Havasu falls???  

Is the last week of october still to early for Fall colours in Zion??? Any other options for fall colours in the southwest??

Considering we have made 4 trips to the southwest during the last four years, it maybe a tough sell to the wife.  How is Hawaii at this time of the year??? what would be some photographic suggestions there - away from the usual touristy crowds??

Any other options for North America during the last week or so of October???

I won't know for sure whether i will have time off until next week, so i won't be able to book travel until the last minute.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:34:30 pm »

I just got back from Hawaii last week, as a matter of fact.  

It's a fine time of year there.  The summer peak tourist season is over and the winter peak tourist season hasn't started yet, so it's about as uncrowded as it gets.  It's moderately hot all year, so, if you can stand some heat, any time of year is fine weather-wise.  (Highs were in the mid-80s F last week, with occasional sprinkles.)  You should have no problem getting last-minute hotel & car reservations this time of year; the place we stayed in seemed about half-full.

Oahu & west Maui are extremely developed.  If you want populated beaches, high-rise hotels, and nightclubs, that's where you go.  If you want better scenery and a lot fewer tourists, go to Kauai (my favorite island, which was the one I was just at).  If you want pretty good scenery, a lot fewer tourists, and active volcanoes (always fun for those of us who never quite grew up), go to the east side of the Big Island.

If your wife prefers to sit on the beach while you go out photographing, you can get a beach hotel somewhere on Kauai (there are many - for beach-sitters & swimmers, the Poipu Beach area is best for sun & swimming) and be within an easy day trip of everywhere along the main road ringing the island, which includes some absolutely stunning scenery.

To get an idea of what some various parts of Kauai look like, attached are links to the photos I've worked on so far from this trip:
Waimea Canyon
Hanalei River kayaking
Kokee State Park trail

Of course, the Southwest has its charms too (been there, done that too), but if you've seen a lot of the Southwest and not Hawaii, I'd definitely go for the latter this time.  Plenty of great photography opportunities if you can manage to get off the beach.  

Lisa
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:38:02 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Khurram

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:17:07 am »

I just got back from Hawaii last week, as a matter of fact.   

It's a fine time of year there.  The summer peak tourist season is over and the winter peak tourist season hasn't started yet, so it's about as uncrowded as it gets.  It's moderately hot all year, so, if you can stand some heat, any time of year is fine weather-wise.  (Highs were in the mid-80s F last week, with occasional sprinkles.)  You should have no problem getting last-minute hotel & car reservations this time of year; the place we stayed in seemed about half-full.

Oahu & west Maui are extremely developed.  If you want populated beaches, high-rise hotels, and nightclubs, that's where you go.  If you want better scenery and a lot fewer tourists, go to Kauai (my favorite island, which was the one I was just at).  If you want pretty good scenery, a lot fewer tourists, and active volcanoes (always fun for those of us who never quite grew up), go to the east side of the Big Island.

If your wife prefers to sit on the beach while you go out photographing, you can get a beach hotel somewhere on Kauai (there are many - for beach-sitters & swimmers, the Poipu Beach area is best for sun & swimming) and be within an easy day trip of everywhere along the main road ringing the island, which includes some absolutely stunning scenery.

To get an idea of what some various parts of Kauai look like, attached are links to the photos I've worked on so far from this trip:
Waimea Canyon
Hanalei River kayaking
Kokee State Park trail

Of course, the Southwest has its charms too (been there, done that too), but if you've seen a lot of the Southwest and not Hawaii, I'd definitely go for the latter this time.  Plenty of great photography opportunities if you can manage to get off the beach.   

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144999\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Lisa, i appreciate the suggestions as well as the links to your photos.  Where would you recommend to stay for that is an easy trip for volcanoes - i guess i haven't quite grown up yet eitehr    I'm really not much of a lying on the beach type - would rather be out shooting, so if we do end up doing Hawaii, i'd rather stay somewhere that is more suited to being close to good sunrise/sunset locations and i'd also rather concentrate on one area rather then getting around seeing everything.  Even though i may have 12days in total, ideally, i want to line up my next job before leaving, so realistically that would probably mean i;ll have a total of 9 days, out of which after you take out travel time to hawaii, may mean only 6 or 7 days there (which is one reason why i'd prefer to go to the southwest if it was only up to me - even though i've been there, done that, i can never seem to get enough of the SW).

BTW, from previous posts, if i recall correctly, you are from the bay area.  The other option i haven't suggested to my wife is going to California.  We did a 6 day trip to SF and Big Sur in June, but did not get a chance to go to yosemite or Mono lake.  Do you know if end of October is a good time to consider Yosemite and Mono Lake???  It seems like it may be too late for fall colours, but too early for the wintery shots.  I only spent 1 1/2 days in Yosemite in Mid December 05 and found that it was totally overcast or pouring for the entire trip except for about an hour before one of the sunsets, which i managed to get a few decent frames, before the weather turned again.  I am also unsure if the road to Mono Lake is open from the yosemite side at that time of the year (if i recall correctly, it was closed when i was thre in Dec).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:24:00 am by Khurram »
----

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:50:32 pm »

Where would you recommend to stay for that is an easy trip for volcanoes - i guess i haven't quite grown up yet eitehr

I don't know where to stay on the Big Island (the one with active volcanoes) that's convenient for both beaches and volcanoes.  The volcanoes are on the east side of the island, and the sun & beaches on the west (Kona) side, and that's the biggest island (hence the name), so it's impractical to do a day trip from one to the other.  There's a lodge in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, but it may be full on short notice, but there are B&Bs and the like just outside the park.  You can also stay in Hilo (the biggest town on the east side, and quite pretty), which has some beaches if I recall correctly, but that's the rainy side of the island so your wife might not be so happy with it; but Hilo *is* day-trippable to the volcanoes.  You might compromise by staying a few days at Kona for beaches and a few days on the east side near the volcanoes.  There are also some parks with lovely waterfalls in the vicinity of Hilo.

Maui also has a tall volcano (Haleakala), though it's extinct so it's less interesting, though still scenic.  (A web search should bring up photos & info.)  It's day-trippable from the west coast beaches with high-rise hotels & condos.

Still, I believe Kauai has the best scenery (though no active volcanoes) closest to the best beaches.  You can drive from one end of the road ringing most of the island to the other in something like two to three hours, so nothing is too far from anything else.  We were there for five days, and that was just about enough time to do everything we wanted to do, included long hikes and kayaking.  If you have about a week, for a first trip, I'd probably spend about 2/3 on Kauai and about 1/3 at the volcanoes on the Big Island; unless you want a more relaxed pace, in which case either just do the Big Island (splitting your time between the west side beaches and the east side volcanoes) or just do Kauai.

if i recall correctly, you are from the bay area. The other option i haven't suggested to my wife is going to California. We did a 6 day trip to SF and Big Sur in June, but did not get a chance to go to yosemite or Mono lake. Do you know if end of October is a good time to consider Yosemite and Mono Lake???
I am also unsure if the road to Mono Lake is open from the yosemite side at that time of the year (if i recall correctly, it was closed when i was thre in Dec).

IMHO, this isn't a good time of year for Yosemite.  The waterfalls and spring greenery are mostly gone, but, as you said, no pretty snow yet.  (I don't know the state of fall colors, though the fall colors in Yosemite aren't that impressive compared to a lot of other places because so many of the trees are evergreens.)  Late spring & early summer are much better, as is winter if they've had some recent snow and you like that sort of thing.  The weather is typically mixed and unpredictable in late October.  The road across the Sierras to the Mono Lake area might or might not be still open, depending on whether it has snowed at the higher elevations yet, but don't count on it - I would guess it would most likely *not* still be open, since we've started getting the first rainstorms in No. Cal. pretty early this year.

Hope this helps...

Lisa
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:51:30 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 12:56:10 pm »

I don't know where to stay on the Big Island (the one with active volcanoes) that's convenient for both beaches and volcanoes.  The volcanoes are on the east side of the island, and the sun & beaches on the west (Kona) side, and that's the biggest island (hence the name), so it's impractical to do a day trip from one to the other.  There's a lodge in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, but it may be full on short notice, but there are B&Bs and the like just outside the park.  You can also stay in Hilo (the biggest town on the east side, and quite pretty), which has some beaches if I recall correctly, but that's the rainy side of the island so your wife might not be so happy with it; but Hilo *is* day-trippable to the volcanoes.  You might compromise by staying a few days at Kona for beaches and a few days on the east side near the volcanoes.  There are also some parks with lovely waterfalls in the vicinity of Hilo.

Maui also has a tall volcano (Haleakala), though it's extinct so it's less interesting, though still scenic.  (A web search should bring up photos & info.)  It's day-trippable from the west coast beaches with high-rise hotels & condos.

Still, I believe Kauai has the best scenery (though no active volcanoes) closest to the best beaches.  You can drive from one end of the road ringing most of the island to the other in something like two to three hours, so nothing is too far from anything else.  We were there for five days, and that was just about enough time to do everything we wanted to do, included long hikes and kayaking.  If you have about a week, for a first trip, I'd probably spend about 2/3 on Kauai and about 1/3 at the volcanoes on the Big Island; unless you want a more relaxed pace, in which case either just do the Big Island (splitting your time between the west side beaches and the east side volcanoes) or just do Kauai.
IMHO, this isn't a good time of year for Yosemite.  The waterfalls and spring greenery are mostly gone, but, as you said, no pretty snow yet.  (I don't know the state of fall colors, though the fall colors in Yosemite aren't that impressive compared to a lot of other places because so many of the trees are evergreens.)  Late spring & early summer are much better, as is winter if they've had some recent snow and you like that sort of thing.  The weather is typically mixed and unpredictable in late October.  The road across the Sierras to the Mono Lake area might or might not be still open, depending on whether it has snowed at the higher elevations yet, but don't count on it - I would guess it would most likely *not* still be open, since we've started getting the first rainstorms in No. Cal. pretty early this year.

Hope this helps...

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks again Lisa!
----

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:54:48 pm »

Of course living on the Big Island I would vote for a week or two here. Too many spectacular sights to list. A good book is the big island revealed. If you decide to come over I'll list the must see places for you.
Marc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moon_bow_phot...57600015333889/
Marc McCalmont

Khurram

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:00:59 am »

Of course living on the Big Island I would vote for a week or two here. Too many spectacular sights to list. A good book is the big island revealed. If you decide to come over I'll list the must see places for you.
Marc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moon_bow_phot...57600015333889/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145248\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks marc for the offer - great photos as well.  We should know by mid next week.  i've already started my research.
----

islandgolfer

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 02:26:17 pm »

I've been going to Maui twice a year for the past 10 years. We spend about 3 months a year there (we own a condo in Kahana). I take my camera stuff every time. I We are going there this Saturday. Once you shoot the perfect sunset, the long beach and some Lahaina shots, you need to venture outside the box. Most people fail to go over to the world class wind surfer beach. The people who get into that surf present some interesting (terrorising) shots if you get off the bluff and down close on the beach, itself. Another place people seem to avoid is the pasture land of Upcountry. There are some very pretty shots there in the late afternoon when the shadows are long and the horses are grazing. And, on the way, you can go to the winery at the end of the road. One of the jeep or horse back tours into the West Maui Mountains will give you rain forest type views. If you want an interesting trip, take the ferry over to Molikai. The island is pretty much as it was decades ago. There are very few people. At the end of the road at one end of the island is the shell of a concrete and stone house (complete with grave headstones in the back yard) that was built in the 1800's. A little further is a pretty cove that has forest growing right down to the water.  If you are planning to go over to Kauai, plan for lots of rain. During the good months it rains nearly every other day. That's why it's so green and lush. There are great views (spectacular, actually) in the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" area. And, there is a great waterfall to shoot that requires no hiking (drive right to it). The beaches are nothing to bother with. And, the Princeville side of the island isn't that impressive in my opinion. The father Dameon overlook it worth the short trip. However, you need to plan what you want to do on Molikai as the ferry leaves to return to Maui about 4 hours after you arrive on Molikai. This time of year on the islands is a bit rainy and chilly at night. So, bring a wind breaker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up