Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens Design - should it rely on software  (Read 12894 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Lens Design - should it rely on software
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2007, 04:15:39 am »

Hi!

I don't think that Hasselblad does anything DXO does not. There is no magic in image processing and the algorithms are well known. One of the best packages is PTLens, which costs about 15 USD (with no "k" in front). PTLens corrects distorsion and chromatic aberration. The foundation for PTLens is "pano tools" which I think is essentially free. There are many algorythms for deblurring, one of the better known is Richardson-Lucy. RL-deconvultion is actually part of the Mac OS X libraries.

What I want to say that there is absolutely no "rocket science" in this. Hasselblad does something smart, that's OK.

I guess that the decisions Hasselblad made are absolutely bad for customers who have invested in or plan to invest in other vendors digital backs. There are good reasons to use different backs.

Also, market economy needs competition which has been the driving force behind development. Having a single vendor of MF equipment would be very bad.

I presume that Mamiya is staying open as it would give them the advantage of free choice over Hasselblad. Time will show what consumers prefer, freedom or serfdom?

Best regards
Erik

Let's see... Here's a project designed to optimize a system that starts with thousands of measurements being made and assembled into a data base, then software and firmware have to be written for the body and back requiring many hours of coding, followed by additional time and effort and expense to create a software module in the RAW conversion program to complete the process.

The 28mm is an extension of this project that incorporates 21st century abilities to correct certain types of lens aberrations extremely well by means of automatic digital corrections to the RAW data and incorporates that into the initial lens design in order to enhance lens performance in areas that cannot be corrected or improved by digital means. (More on this later.) To do this, in a seamless and automatic fashion, requires that the lens, body, back and software be integrated in a seamless way.

All in an effort to have a competive edge in the market by offering added value. This is seen by some as terrible thing by not sharing it with competitors.

Any photographers that would like to shoot thousands of images, do the post production work, add in retouching and build a searchable data base–then give them to their competitors to sell. I'm sure you'll find takers on that offer.

Of course there is licensing. Anyone here licensing their creative efforts to other photographers to enhance their competitors position in the market?

Why shouldn't Hasselblad keep their own work proprietary? Because someone purchased another companies product and mounted it to some of Hasselblad's products?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up