Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming a folder in Lightroom  (Read 4313 times)

travelenfree

Renaming a folder in Lightroom
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:12:15 am »

Can I rename a folder in my Lightroom Library or do I have to rename the  folder
in the "My Documents" window?  I seem to remember that if I rename a folder in the Lightroom Library, Lightroom would not be able to find it if it is listed under a different folder name elsewhere.

Deep

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:23:27 am »

Can I rename a folder in my Lightroom Library or do I have to rename the  folder
in the "My Documents" window?  I seem to remember that if I rename a folder in the Lightroom Library, Lightroom would not be able to find it if it is listed under a different folder name elsewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just double click on the folder name and type a new name.  When you hit return, the folder name on your drive changes and Lightroom has no trouble finding it again.  At least on my Mac!

Don.
Don

travelenfree

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:34:01 pm »

Can I rename a folder in my Lightroom Library or do I have to rename the  folder
in the "My Documents" window?  I seem to remember that if I rename a folder in the Lightroom Library, Lightroom would not be able to find it if it is listed under a different folder name elsewhere.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144783\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

travelenfree

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:40:06 pm »

Would renaming a folder in Lightroom work the same way on my Windows PC as it does on a Mac?

Arnaud73

• http://www.starway.org/gallery/
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:20:52 pm »

Would renaming a folder in Lightroom work the same way on my Windows PC as it does on a Mac?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 11:48:05 pm »

Keep in mind that Lightroom uses a database to keep track of the location and names of all the items you've imported into the database (aka Catalog).

Any changes you make from within the Folders panel in Lightroom are applied directly to the files and folders on your hard drive, but the reverse is not true: If you make changes to the names or locations of files or folders outside Lightroom, you then need to right-click (or control click) on the folder and select Synchronize from the pop menu to get Lightroom's database up to date.

It's critical to keep your "physical" files/folders (those on the hard drive) up-to-date within Lightroom.

You won't be able to Develop files that Lightroom can't find (though you can make Slideshows and Web galleries with just the full size previews within Lightroom).
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

travelenfree

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 12:47:55 am »

Thank You, Deep, Lapino, and Matt for responding to my question about renaming a folder in Lightroom.  The best thing about your comments was...It Worked Perfectly and so easily.  Much Appreciated...
Pages: [1]   Go Up