Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highlands of Scotland(!) - advice on dealers  (Read 1243 times)

Malcolm MacGarvin

Highlands of Scotland(!) - advice on dealers
« on: October 08, 2007, 05:24:00 pm »

I live up in the Highlands of Scotland. I do lots of photography on fishing boats, landscapes and portraits, which get used in my work and by others without requiring me to print anything.

I'm totally convinced that printing is a good way to loose a lot of money fast (!), but I just can't get over the desire to print. So after resisting for many years I'm about to take the plunge.

Three questions:

I can see in principle it would be useful to have a dealer just down the road, but that's not how it is, and my experience with (Apple) dealers in Aberdeen and Edinburgh have not been good - so for my other equipment I just buy online for the best price (except that I am lucky for cameras to have Ffordes not so far down the road).

a) general question - is servicing for large format fine art printers more of an issue than other bits of computers, cameras, - such that I should worry about service engineers not being on tap?

specific question to anyone in northern half of Scotland. What do you do? - I've had poor experiences with Apple dealers in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Is there anybody you would recommend for HP and Epson, either in Scotland or further afield? If so, could you be very generous with your time and email me at macgarvin@mac.com

c) I want to be able to use 24 inch because I want to do large prints (I really must need my head examined). But I think much of the market will be for smaller prints. All things considered, I intend to get the Z3100, but suspect that this is going to be a hassle, and too limiting, for regular use for  smaller prints (cut paper, 10x8 etc , so thinking of getting a Epson 3800 as well. Is this wise, or nuts?

All help much appreciated

Malcolm

http://homepage.mac.com/macgarvin

[attachment=3515:attachment]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 05:28:08 pm by Malcolm MacGarvin »
Pages: [1]   Go Up