Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to handle splotchy papers  (Read 3216 times)

seangirard

How to handle splotchy papers
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:29:08 pm »

Ok, I'm turning to the gurus here because I'm pretty much out of ideas and I can't be the only one who has run into this. I'll keep it succinct as I can.

Problem:

Like it says in the subject: "splotchy prints". Not sure how best to describe it. Maybe I'll try to get a picture tonight. It seems most noticeable in shadow areas, although not confined there. Solid areas of color, like on a profile target, really show this. Let's say one patch is supposed to be dark green. What I actually get areas of darker and lighter green, in a random pattern. Also very noticeable in out of focus areas of an image.

The paper I am currently trying to get under control is Inkpress SemiGloss Duo. Not a high end paper by any means, but good for a couple of applications I have in mind. I have run into the same thing on an InkJetArt Gloss/Matte Duo and also on some offset printing plates I coated with InkAid (don't want to open that can of worms right now though).

Environment:

I'm printing with an Epson 7800, printing through Qimage. Epson and other third party papers are printing fine, and the printer passes nozzle checks, etc.

What I have tried:

Initially I just assumed my driver settings were laying down too much ink for the particular paper and this is still my best guess as to the underlying problem. I have tried a large number of combinations of media settings, turning off bi-directional, using highest resolution setting, limiting ink density, and while I can effect some change, I still have the problem. Reducing density seems to help, but not completely, and comes with its own set of problems.

I have a spectro and profile making software, but the targets are such a mess I can't see how I can get an accurate profile since no two sections of the patch are the same, even to the eye. Maybe the software is supposed to correct for this, but I think I'm probably out of tolerance.

Should I just get on with life and forget about this stock or am I missing something?

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 06:36:12 pm »

Move on.

BTW I'd like to read your experiences with InkAid.
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 07:49:36 pm »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:57:00 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

seangirard

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:11:16 pm »

I had a feeling you guys were going to tell me to skip it. Here's a quick grab from a profile target, if the forum software works like I think it does:

[attachment=3516:attachment]

So does anyone have any suggestions for a paper coated for printing on both sides that maybe has a "litho" feel? Bonus points if you've used it on an Epson.

Thanks,
-sean

seangirard

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:37:48 pm »

BTW I'd like to read your experiences with InkAid.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Brian: The InkAid is an interesting product that seems to work as advertised, although I can't say I've used it a lot. The trick, as with any liquid you're going to put down on paper I suppose, is getting a uniform coat. I have mostly used foam brushes and rollers and I think they produce too many air bubbles, so I will try something else next time. I have coated the back side of offset plates (ones that haven't been punched or run through a press, just had a target or focus test or something burned into them), some cardstock, some matboard... stuff like that. I have used the opalescent stuff on canvas which gives a neat look. I plan to experiment with that some more one of these days. It basically creates a film on the substate so the more textured and less glossy the better it seems to adhere. It is relatively fragile on metal, for example. In a bottle the stuff is a strange consistency; a little bit like clear snot.

I'm happy to try answering any questions about it if you have 'em.

-sean

Harry Carpenter

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:46:55 am »

Just wondering if the paper is able to take pigmented inks, as from the photo it seems like the surface of the paper is almost repelling the ink, causing it to pool together. Just a thought.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 12:06:41 pm »

Move on. Not all papers are compatible with all ink sets. The ink is pooling on the surface, and I'm guessing it takes an inordinately long time to dry and probably wipes off easily with a bit of handling. You'll never get good (or anything remotely approaching good) results the way the ink smears along color edges, and since the ink is not being absorbed into the paper properly, it is likely to flake or rub off easily once it dries (if it ever does properly). It's not worth the hassle, no matter how cheap the paper is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up