Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320?  (Read 23565 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320?
« on: October 08, 2007, 01:35:40 am »

Anyone here regularly printing on the Hahnemuhle Photorag Pearl 320?

Happy with the results?

Seems to be a good option with a semi gloss surface with no OBA's with a good d-max and gamut.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Recked

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:39 am »

Hello,

I'm not exactly a pro by any stretch, but I have been using it since it was "launched" and have been happy with it. Once HP fixed the pizza wheel marks it was showing by installing the new exit wheel assembly in my Z3100 printer the prints look good. Just finishing up printing 30 or so images for a show coming up and they look good to my feeble brain anyway.

I am investing in getting The Digital Dog to create an ICC profile for the paper/printer so I can ensure when I start to print the colour images that things are where they should be.

My two cents. I am sure there a more experienced folks here who can give you much more detailed information about gamut, dmax etc.

good luck

Happy with the results?

Seems to be a good option with a semi gloss surface with no OBA's with a good d-max and gamut.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

frankric

• http://www.frankrichardson.com.au
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:01:23 am »

I've been using Photo Rag Pearl for a while and yes, I'm happy with it.

I previously used the standard Photo Rag 308 and as you would expect, the Pearl version certainly has more 'punch' and the surface is much more durable than the original 308.

I had tried Museo Silver Rag and Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl and didn't really like either. In addition the Silver Rag I got had serious Quality Control problems. Multiple types of surface defects. No such problems with either the Fine Art Pearl or Photo Rag Pearl.

I'm not into measuring gamut & dmax, but subjectively both are very good.

I use an Epson 7800 with Image Print 6.1

Regards

Frank

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:34:32 pm »

I print exclusively on Photo Rag Pearl at the moment. I really like it. The texture is great (for me) - like a smooth egg shell with a nice sheen. I too was looking for an OBA-free paper. It's not brightest white, as you'd expect, but I like my prints a bit warm. I've had no problems whatsoever.

I do wonder how many people out there are using this paper, however. I never hear anything about it . . .

wesley

• http://www.memphiswest.com
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

I am using it exclusively for BW prints with the 3800. The paper weight is really close to the old Agfa fibre (warm tone) that I loved. There are pinwheel marks on the 3800. Single sheet loading only.

Wes

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:26 pm »

The paper that I almost never see mentioned is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin.  I've printed a handful of black and white images and like it's surface a little better than the more sparkly Photo Rag Pearl samples I've seen.  I haven't tried any of the Pearl paper myself, though.  I've also played around a bit with Silver Max and really like the D-max of that paper, but really like a less textured surface for photos unless they are printed huge or are really atmospheric, without a lot of detail.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:41:13 pm »

The paper that I almost never see mentioned is Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin.  I've printed a handful of black and white images and like it's surface a little better than the more sparkly Photo Rag Pearl samples I've seen.  I haven't tried any of the Pearl paper myself, though.  I've also played around a bit with Silver Max and really like the D-max of that paper, but really like a less textured surface for photos unless they are printed huge or are really atmospheric, without a lot of detail.
-Ron H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144986\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes! Photo rag satin is an acquired taste, but I love it for both color and B&W images. It has the same subtle eggshell texture the basic Photo rag has, and before the ink hits the page it would be hard to tell them apart. At least with the HP Z3100, the inked paper surface takes on a soft sheen that varies with tonality. This is especially obvious in the shadows and 3/4 tones, with the result that apparent tonal separation in these areas is improved. Black & white prints look almost etched in metal. Hahnemuhle fine art pearl has a "simpler" glossy texture that seems...almost boring by comparison.
But that's probably just me.

sojournerphoto

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:33:12 pm »

Yes! Photo rag satin is an acquired taste, but I love it for both color and B&W images. It has the same subtle eggshell texture the basic Photo rag has, and before the ink hits the page it would be hard to tell them apart. At least with the HP Z3100, the inked paper surface takes on a soft sheen that varies with tonality. This is especially obvious in the shadows and 3/4 tones, with the result that apparent tonal separation in these areas is improved. Black & white prints look almost etched in metal. Hahnemuhle fine art pearl has a "simpler" glossy texture that seems...almost boring by comparison.
But that's probably just me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144994\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use HPR pearl and like both the colour and B&W print quality. Also it has a lovely feel if your handling unmounted prints. The base is slightly warm, but I thin much nicer than innova F-type warmtone which I think is too pink. Also, the finished texture is better.

I find HFAP has great punch on colour prints, but I've not used it extensively.

The HPR satin I swing between liking and not. The sheen appears where the nk is laid down, so it's an interesting effect.

I also like white etching.

Printing on an IPF5000.

Mike

dealy663

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:05:58 pm »

I am investing in getting The Digital Dog to create an ICC profile for the paper/printer so I can ensure when I start to print the colour images that things are where they should be.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144618\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why are you having someone else create a profile for you when all the required tools are right there in the Z3100 already?
Derek
[url=http://www.grandprixsw.com/Wo

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 07:41:39 pm »

Maybe it has something to do with the # of patches ...
Eric Chan

Douglas Benton

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 01:01:18 pm »

As thick as this paper is, can you use the tray with the ipf5000? I've tried photo rag 308 and the printer has a hard time picking it out of the tray.
Doug

Aboud

• http://www.abouddweck.com
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 09:48:40 pm »

Happy with the results?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just started printing on the photo rag pearl, but mine is 344 gsm. I use it for images with a lot of detail and when I want good contrast, like architectural shots. I also use the Hannemuhle Photo Rag,  the surface is softer looking, great for portraits. Both are excellent papers.  I am printing on a HP Z2100, the paper is thick so it has to be loaded gingerly, but the printer handles it beautifully.

Douglas Benton

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 03:42:34 pm »

I ordered a box of 8.5x11 to see if I could use it out of the cassette on the IPF 5000. No go. I get a "can't detect paper" message, however, if I bend the leading edge of the paper up a little, it will pick it up.
  When I can get the paper to run through, the prints are as nice as I've seen out of this printer.
Doug

David Amos

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 04:27:48 pm »

I ordered a box of 8.5x11 to see if I could use it out of the cassette on the IPF 5000. No go. I get a "can't detect paper" message, however, if I bend the leading edge of the paper up a little, it will pick it up.
  When I can get the paper to run through, the prints are as nice as I've seen out of this printer.
Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not familiar with this machine but i do know a few tricks with cassette printers when you want to print on special papers.  If you load a load of normal paper underneath the special paper that might bring it up enough to be picked up.

David

sojournerphoto

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 06:03:39 pm »

Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146709\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doug,

sorry I didn't see your note earlier. I've only used the HPR pearl from a roll, but I have tried Innova F-type gloss in A4 sheets and the IPF struggles at the end when the paper moves between rollers. That is caused by the stifness of the paper and the curvature of the feed path from the tray. The HPR pearl is much softer, but I saw you'd had difficulty getting the printer to 'see' the paper.

Hope it works out OK

Mike

HickersonJasonC

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 05:51:11 pm »

I just started printing on the photo rag pearl, but mine is 344 gsm.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146499\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Photo Rag Pearl is 320gsm; it seems the first boxes of this paper were mislabeled.

guerillary

• http://www.giantsteps.us
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 04:58:13 am »

These forums have been quite an education in paper for me.  While much appreciated, it hasn't been a cheap journey.  Being somewhat "in the know" now, I'm really surprised by how many people appear to prefer stocks like EEF, Gold Fiber Silk and / or Harman Gloss in comparison to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl.

Here is a cotton paper with incredible sharpness, great detail, great density, bright whites and no obas whatsoever.  If the stock were too warm, dull or flat I'd consider settling for Gold Fiber Silk but why on earth would an archival, fine art printer want to do this when a performer like Photo Rag Pearl is out there?  What's the point of oba's and baryta when Hahnemuhle looks as good or better without it?

In my opinion, Photo Rag Pearl is the greatest value and quality among papers in it's class; hands down.  The question at this point is, what stock has or will have the same specifications with about half the gloss?
Ryan Thompson
www.giantsteps.us

Pete Berry

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 03:01:25 pm »

These forums have been quite an education in paper for me.  While much appreciated, it hasn't been a cheap journey.  Being somewhat "in the know" now, I'm really surprised by how many people appear to prefer stocks like EEF, Gold Fiber Silk and / or Harman Gloss in comparison to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Pearl.

Here is a cotton paper with incredible sharpness, great detail, great density, bright whites and no obas whatsoever.  If the stock were too warm, dull or flat I'd consider settling for Gold Fiber Silk but why on earth would an archival, fine art printer want to do this when a performer like Photo Rag Pearl is out there?  What's the point of oba's and baryta when Hahnemuhle looks as good or better without it?

In my opinion, Photo Rag Pearl is the greatest value and quality among papers in it's class; hands down.  The question at this point is, what stock has or will have the same specifications with about half the gloss?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=196972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahhh...Another captivated by the Hahnemuhle mystique! Seriously, I was prepared to be one too when I ordered a box of PRP after trying it in a sampler. But then along came Ilford's GFS. At less than half the price, and with a cooler off-white tone than the PRP, I much prefer it's smoother, finer grained slightly fibrous surface to the more pebbled PRP - about the same surface as Photo Rag 308, which I don't like as much as, say, Innova's Smooth Cotton High White 315 - likewise significantly less expensive, but with very similar color response.

Great papers all. What lucky folks we are to have the current range of choices explode so widely in the last year! I'm looking forward to trying some of Innova's Fibraprint series soon.

How about $20 for the 13 sheets of 8.5x11 PRP I have left from the box of 20 - shipping included?

Pete

guerillary

• http://www.giantsteps.us
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 05:17:48 am »

Ahhh...Another captivated by the Hahnemuhle mystique! Seriously, I was prepared to be one too when I ordered a box of PRP after trying it in a sampler. But then along came Ilford's GFS. At less than half the price, and with a cooler off-white tone than the PRP, I much prefer it's smoother, finer grained slightly fibrous surface to the more pebbled PRP - about the same surface as Photo Rag 308, which I don't like as much as, say, Innova's Smooth Cotton High White 315 - likewise significantly less expensive, but with very similar color response.

Great papers all. What lucky folks we are to have the current range of choices explode so widely in the last year! I'm looking forward to trying some of Innova's Fibraprint series soon.

How about $20 for the 13 sheets of 8.5x11 PRP I have left from the box of 20 - shipping included?

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197081\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The style of surface texture and white brightness are certainly subjective, so I understand why somebody would prefer aspects of these features over what another stock offers.  Nevertheless, the lack of OBAs in a bright paper is clearly a technical advantage over Gold Fiber Silk, Harman Gloss and Exhibition Fiber I'd think, from a permanence standpoint.

Have you noticed the increased sharpness / feature detail of Photo Rag Pearl over Gold Fiber Silk too?  Print an image on each and compare the two.  Not as big a leap when comparing either over Exhibition Fiber, but the Pearl is definitely a noticeable improvement over the Silk.

I guess you're offering a good deal on those remaining sheets of Peal but the smallest imagery I'm printing is over the 8.5 x 11 dimension.  Thanks for the offer though!

I just wish this paper had half the gloss without a performance sacrifice elsewhere.  There are less glossy options out there, but none without OBAs.  Let me know if I'm mistaken though.
Ryan Thompson
www.giantsteps.us

rdonson

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 08:10:30 am »

Nevertheless, the lack of OBAs in a bright paper is clearly a technical advantage over Gold Fiber Silk, Harman Gloss and Exhibition Fiber I'd think, from a permanence standpoint.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=197413\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you base that on?  Can you point me to anything that shows OBAs affect print permanence?  I know that over time the OBAs will no longer react but I'm not aware of that effecting print permanence.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up