Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 or 50 zoom  (Read 13103 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:54 am »

You can mount old "V" lenses on the entire "H" line of cameras as well. The Hasselblad "H" cameras aren't any more closed regarding lenses than any other line of medium-format cameras.

Given the range of opinion I've seen regarding hand holding the zoom, getting a loaner or rental to try is probably your best bet. I don't mind shooting with it hand held for limited periods of time. It is heavy but well balanced. It's heavy enough though, I don't feel a need to go to the gym after some time spent hand holding it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am thinking of test test ride this week

A good point about the old MF lenses - none have ever really appealed due to my personal opinion that at wide apertures AF is critical to a good hit rate at MF resolutions

I might scour some bargin bins and do some maths

wow - 50 2.8 £349 , 150 2.8 £249 80 2.8 £349

is there letters after the lenses I should look for I take it more letters = new /better

FYI when I was mamiyaPRoTL I got on with the 80 but couldnt focus the 35 - maybe the gravel screen

maybe the answer is the zoom plus a bag of old clonkers for more considered MF shooting

S
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:19:11 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 08:18:05 am »

double
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:18:23 am by Morgan_Moore »

stewarthemley

50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 08:42:57 am »

maybe the answer is the zoom plus a bag of old clonkers for more considered MF shooting
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry to persist, but if you go the older lenses route you really should check the bokeh thing.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 09:03:49 am »

Sorry to persist, but if you go the older lenses route you really should check the bokeh thing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144592\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I reckon wide open these this will be great - and if beaten up they will flare and smooth skin out too - fantastic - less time in PS

S

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 09:44:45 am »

I am thinking of test test ride this week

A good point about the old MF lenses - none have ever really appealed due to my personal opinion that at wide apertures AF is critical to a good hit rate at MF resolutions

I might scour some bargin bins and do some maths

wow - 50 2.8 £349 , 150 2.8 £249 80 2.8 £349

is there letters after the lenses I should look for I take it more letters = new /better

FYI when I was mamiyaPRoTL I got on with the 80 but couldnt focus the 35 - maybe the gravel screen

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the 50 and 150 you mention are not meant for the 500 series but for the 200 that has the shutter in the body. I don't believe there is a 50/2.8 or 150/2.8 with a shutter. They cannot be used on the H, can they??

Bernd B.

50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 09:50:57 am »

I think the 50 and 150 you mention are not meant for the 500 series but for the 200 that has the shutter in the body. I don't believe there is a 50/2.8 or 150/2.8 with a shutter. They cannot be used on the H, can they??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, absolutely not possible without a shutter.

Dustbak, how is working with the H2? How is focussing manually when shooting aperture open? I bought a H1 on Ebay to check it out a bit, but it will need some ten days until I get it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:56:03 am by Bernd B. »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 09:52:01 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You most likely right - I dont know anything about old hassies - looked too good to be true - im sure the onboard hassy rep will clafify

cant tell from the website

interesting focus confirm still works - which is actually nearly as useful as AF

S
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:56:21 am by Morgan_Moore »

Bernd B.

50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:59 am »

You most likely right - I dont know anything about old hassies - looked too good to be true - im sure the onboard hassy rep will clafify

cant tell from the website

interesting focus confirm still works - which is actually nearly as useful as AF

S
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need C lenses, CF or CFE, CFi, CB, all with build in leaf shutter, but not F lenses. F lenses have no shutter. When using the leaf shutter lenses mentioned you also need an adapter for about 1000,- USD.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:06:12 am by Bernd B. »

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 01:19:23 pm »

I am quite happy with the 50-110 zoom. It is a great optic. Sure it is big and heavy but it stays on the camera quite often and i like the fact I do not have to do frequent lens changes. if you take into account that you would need several primes in order to maintain the same coverage, I am not sure how much you save in weight and room.   I found that when hiking, I used this lens most often. i usually take my 35, 50-110, 210 extension tubes and 1.7x converter. I leave my 120, 100mm lenses and i am fine.  the 50-110 with extension  tubes makes for very good macro too.

Basically I am poor*.

I really want a HC 50 for my blad but for an extra $500 I can have the 50-110 zoom

The second lens appeals because I think I could go superlight and do some trips/jobs with just the one lens - and maybe a the zoom means less faffing and more concentration on the subject

But would I be better off having the 50 and saving for the 110 2.2 considering I love narrow DOF for portrait

Incidentally th 50 fits in my water housing as will the 110 - the zoom is too long

I have 35 80 the converter and macro rings

Do zoom owners use it or does it just weight thier bag down as they always reach for the appropriate prime

I am strong(ish) and not overly concerned with LPI, Abberations etc - all the lenses are 'good enough'

Just some comments please mainly on how the lenses affect the ergonomics of shooting and interaction with the subject

Ta

SMM

* actually more tight than poor and anticipating the D3 and where that will put my blad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2007, 02:16:05 pm »

No, absolutely not possible without a shutter.

Dustbak, how is working with the H2? How is focussing manually when shooting aperture open? I bought a H1 on Ebay to check it out a bit, but it will need some ten days until I get it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144603\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well. I have to get used to having autofocus but even more to having a lightmeter (even automatic) on a body. I have difficulties trusting these

The body&back combination is working well. Some problems when I started using my Nikon SB800 on the thing.

I also got a H1 and have upgraded it to H2 because I use a Hasselblad back I can benefit from DAC/APO with flexcolor.

I have only used it with a 80 sofar and can't really decide yet how much I like it. Sofar I feel my DF2 with ZF has better performance but because of the crop of the sensor I get less resolution.

A 35mm is underway and I hope to see the real benefit of DAC with that.

Bernd B.

50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2007, 04:03:39 pm »

Well. I have to get used to having autofocus but even more to having a lightmeter (even automatic) on a body. I have difficulties trusting these

The body&back combination is working well. Some problems when I started using my Nikon SB800 on the thing.

I also got a H1 and have upgraded it to H2 because I use a Hasselblad back I can benefit from DAC/APO with flexcolor.

I have only used it with a 80 sofar and can't really decide yet how much I like it. Sofar I feel my DF2 with ZF has better performance but because of the crop of the sensor I get less resolution.

A 35mm is underway and I hope to see the real benefit of DAC with that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Doesn`t sound as if you are very exited about the H1/H2? I have high expectations in it. The last option for me.

An exposure meter in a camera I always found useful. With a classic Hasselblad my working slows down compared to a MF camera with build in meter. AF on a MF camera with a good finder and screen I find rather useless. Multiple point AF could change this one day.

You are really a fan of the digiflex, aren´t you?

Did you buy the mint 35mm on ebay yesterday?

Did you upgrade from H1 to H2 by yourself through FireWire and your CF39 back? The seller of mine said he had the firmware upgraded, but I don´t know to which version. I´d be interested in the latest version because of the shutter delay function against mirror slap.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2007, 04:39:42 pm »

I cannot say yet if I like it or not, it is too soon. I found that I need some more time with new systems to get to know them before I can tell whether I like them.

Yes, I am a very big fan of the DigiFlex. Together with the Zeiss ZF lenses is it very good. Sure, it has some weak points as well. The ZF25 is visibly less than the 35 and 50 (both macro as well as 1.4). The 25 has a fairly large distortion the 35 distorts less but still. The 50macro shows a purple hotspot on dark items now and than, etc.. On the good side it is exceptionally sharp and has lovely out of focus rendering, colors are fantastic. I like that it leaves everything up to me, no metering, no AF, no nothing. Just a piece of glass, a body and a back and it can be handholded.

I expect the H to show less distortion on the 35, I expect the H to show less CA not that the ZF's show that much but it does on occassion and I hope DAC will correct that.

I can do custom white with the H which is impossible with the DF (due to the black borders).

I certainly don't expect the H to perform miracles, just to fill some gaps and weaknesses I found with other systems. Sofar it is less sharp than the DF but with twice the resolution it has an awful lot more details and after downsizing to 50% it appears to be identical to the ZF ( Sharpness-wise).

Nope, I bought another 35  about a week ago.

I am not sure whether you can do the firmware upgrade of the H1 by yourself. I had it done via a Hasselblad dealer (costs were around 400euros). They did some repairs as well and added the rechargeable battery & charger.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:40:31 pm by Dustbak »

Bernd B.

50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 04:25:22 pm »

I am not sure whether you can do the firmware upgrade of the H1 by yourself. I had it done via a Hasselblad dealer (costs were around 400euros). They did some repairs as well and added the rechargeable battery & charger.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My future H1 I bought on ebay has a 7,5V (???, perhaps 7,2V) accu-grip and a charger. But it is a H1. I wonder, what this means. Half the way to a H2?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 10:17:55 am »

Halfway might be just it. From the looks of Flexcolor it looks like you can update the firmware for the H yourself. So maybe it can be done from a H1 to H2 ??

I have been working a couple of days now with the combination H2/CF39/HC80. Doing clothing (I just hate those ), sofar I am very pleased with the results. Very minimal moire, colors are spot on. Finally I can use the custom white which is a very welcome addition.

Now, I just have to wait for my 35 to show up and gather some more of those obscenely priced lenses.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:29:41 am by Dustbak »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
50 or 50 zoom
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2007, 02:36:03 pm »

on the original topic

I tried the 50-110 this week

too heavy for me

would be great with a tripod

regular 50 I will order

SMM