Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barcelona  (Read 2407 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Barcelona
« on: October 06, 2007, 07:25:20 pm »

Hi,

I'm going to be spending a few days in Barcelona in a couple of weeks' time (for a wedding, but I have no official role!).

Any recommendations for interesting photography would be gratefully received.

TIA

Jeremy

Willard

Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:59:51 pm »

Sagrada Familia is the amazing Cathedral/Temple designed by Antoni Gaudi.  It is very photogenic. It is still under construction. If you go, it opens at 0900, get there before hand to walk around then enter right at opening.  First thing is to take the elevator (another 2 euros) up one of the bell towers, the views are amazing and the walk back down to the bottom in the spiral staircase is pretty cool.  The line for the bell tower elevator gets very long pretty quickly, do it right away.

Gaudi's other photogenic creation is the Parc Guell (pronounced "well")  Wander around this whimsical place.  You eventually get to the top of the park with a great view of the city.

And to continue on the Gaudi theme, visit La Predrera.  The walk around the roof is really cool.

For street shooting there is the tourist trap Las Ramblas (watch your wallet) and the nearby Barri Gotic.  Quite honestly the entire city is fun to walk around.

One thing.  I got myself some ear plugs to wear while walking about.  There are lots and lots of little 2 stroke scooters.  The place sounds like an invasion of the weedeaters.  Very annoying.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Barcelona
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 09:23:41 pm »

Don't take the elevator!   The walk up is a fantastic part of the experience of the Sagrada Familia.
Parc Guell is rather scruffy in places and you will see guys cruising in some parts, but Gaudi's work is near the Southern Entrance.

Barcelona, wonderful as it is, is as mentioned above is very, very bad for pickpockets.
On the Ramblas your backpack will be rifled through or someone will try it on with you. So if you have a backpack, keep it on your front.
The Barrie Gothic [the old town]on the left of the Ramblas as you walk to wards the ocean is worth a look as is the seafront and on the opposite side of the Ramblas is the much poorer immigrant area, which is also interesting, but maybe not for those nervous about displaying expensive camera gear. As this is where you'll find prostitution and drugs and the attendent criminals.
There's interesting art on the beaches and Tibidabo, the Fairground above Barcelona gives you nice views of the city. Interesting church there too. The Funicula railway up to top is closed, as is funfair in October I think, but I tend to walk around places in preference to lifts or trains as you get far more opportunities for pictures that way.
It's possible to walk from the seafront to top of Tibidabo in a day. If you like walking that is!
The underground is quite handy for getting around a bit more quickly, but is a bit toasty down there, even in Oct/Nov.

Barcelona is also not so good for veggies as even the 'veggie' food tends to have meat added.
One of my favourite cities though, sea, hills and city culture all together. A rare combination.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 09:28:27 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Barcelona
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 10:16:35 am »

Barcelona is one of the most photogenic cities in Europe. The Sagrada Familia alone is a place at which you can easily spend at least half a day making photographs. The details are very rich - very strong, large, striking sculptures, colourful mosaic objects seen from the top, excellent stained glass, unique juxtaposition of construction arrangements (scaffolding, etc.) amidst completed work that you won't see anywhere else, and not to be missed - the workshops and museum in the lower level. I made hundreds of photographs there, of which I retained about 120 - quite a bit for one structure.

The Cathedral of Barcelona and the surrounding area is also very photogenic.

The same neighbourhood where you find "La Pedrara" (actually the Casa Mila) is called Eixample - it is about two dozen square blocs of magnificient architecture. Don't miss the Casa Batllo, the Tapies Foundation building, and just poke around the neighbourhood. Also make some time to see the Palau de la Musica Catalana - and take the tour inside. Photography is not allowed inside, but it is worth seeing regardless.

If you have half a day to spare and the weather is good, take the early morning train up to the Monestir de Montserrat; the landscapes on the way up are spectacular and the place itself is an architectural and artistic splendour.

You'll have plenty of fun in Barcelona - take lots of storage for your image files.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up