Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Web images Vs JPGs NEED HELP  (Read 14395 times)

AndreNapier

• Andre Napier Photography
Web images Vs JPGs NEED HELP
« on: October 06, 2007, 05:42:16 pm »

Hey guys I am struggling with this issue for quite a while and can not find an answer.
When I start with perfect Tiff image convert it to JPG it looks the same on my screen. When I post it on this website and open it as a pup-up window in Safari it looks the same as the original or very close to it. However when I post it to any of my websites it looses significentely the color especially the reds and yellows. It is like a gray out washed out version of it. I have three different websites with three different servers and the results are the same. If this is what it is than I will live with it as for now I am asking everybody and trying everything and nothing seems to work.
I am using MackBookPro and G5 with caliberated screen so it is not my screen problem.
Any help highly appreciated.
andre napier

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 05:48:44 pm »

Hey guys I am struggling with this issue for quite a while and can not find an answer.
When I start with perfect Tiff image convert it to JPG it looks the same on my screen. When I post it on this website and open it as a pup-up window in Safari it looks the same as the original or very close to it. However when I post it to any of my websites it looses significentely the color especially the reds and yellows. It is like a gray out washed out version of it. I have three different websites with three different servers and the results are the same. If this is what it is than I will live with it as for now I am asking everybody and trying everything and nothing seems to work.
I am using MackBookPro and G5 with caliberated screen so it is not my screen problem.
andre napier
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am no colour guru

you are supposed to use SRGB for the web so if your tiff/jpg are A1998 then convert to SRGb - some of the colour will go

Then boost up the Saturation and save (for web)

Safari on my mac seems to display A1998 images well while other browsers like IE dont

how you get round that the colour guys know...

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

AndreNapier

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:01:02 pm »

I am no colour guru

you are supposed to use SRGB for the web so if your tiff/jpg are A1998 then convert to SRGb - some of the colour will go

Then boost up the Saturation and save (for web)

Safari on my mac seems to display A1998 images well while other browsers like IE dont

how you get round that the colour guys know...

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144290\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan,
I do all of this. The question is when YOU post images on web that are either "saved as"  straight jpgs or "saved for web" do you see severe difference in your post as compared to original. I can over compensate but with reds it is so severe that even with compensation I am nowhere close.
Andre
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 06:01:31 pm by AndreNapier »

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 06:06:47 pm »

andre napier
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144288\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Here's an action that goes throught the neccesary steps to save for web. I'm no expert so if anyone has another workflow jump in...

The action does this:

1.converts to sRGB, flattens image
2.converts to 8 bit
3.opens image size dialogue, use the size that matches your webpage or use
4.zooms image to 100 %
5.opens "unsharpmask" filter, sharpen the image for web with your preferred settings.
(I usually end up with something like 200%, 0,3 radius, 0 threshold.)
6.opens save as dialogue, give the file a name, remember to not write over your original!)
7.closes image without saving (you want your original left untouched...)

Make sure your screen is set to 2.2 gamma when editing your files, if not images will look to dark on windows computers.

As I said I'm no expert on this, jump in where needed! My images at least look the same on my machine and my chick's when I do this... (she's windows...)

-axel

[attachment=3490:attachment]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 06:08:06 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

TechTalk

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:12:30 pm »

Safari is the only web browser, that I know of, that is color managed (ICC profile aware).

With other browsers, the color display is pretty random.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

AndreNapier

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 07:50:11 pm »

Guys,
Thanks for the help so far. I use Safari only, I have fully caliberated screens. My prints match exactly my screen. I use the same actions in PS  as you suggested. This is not my imagination and we are not talking minor differences. My reds are gone by 30-40%. There has to be more to it.
As I said if I post an image in LL it opens as a pop-up with right colors. On my Website www.AndreNapier.com the colors are gone. ????????????????????????????????????????????????
Andre

ronno

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 08:35:50 pm »

As I said if I post an image in LL it opens as a pop-up with right colors. On my Website www.AndreNapier.com the colors are gone. ????????????????????????????????????????????????
Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144303\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Since your jpegs work fine on other sites but not on your own, I presume that the problem lies with the coding on your site. You should have it checked out.

-ron

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 09:03:35 pm »

Repeating what's been said above - The problem should  be that you need to save your web work as sRGB. So before you save for web, you need to convert image profile to sRGB. You shouldn't need to boost saturation before hand either. You only need to do that if you don't convert profile to sRGB.
But a thought here, are you using PS CS3 as that is supposed to get rid of the need to convert to sRGB when doing Save for web? But I've not found it to work quite right.

This jpeg colour thang is a common problem, but having looked at your website in Opera and FF the images actually seemed OK to me. But the thumbnails really bug me as they are square in shape and squish the rectangular images to fit, resulting in funny shaped heads.

Always use all the Browsers to test. Safari is not the most common browser, so the fact something works in Safari is not that relevant. And test on a PC too, Same reason. Fonts and gamma vary. And again to repeat above info, use gamma 2.2 not the quaint old fashioned mac 1.8 Gamma for your display.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

TechTalk

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 09:09:30 pm »

AndreNapier

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 09:39:24 pm »

To make my point a bit clearer : Look at the image in Safari (attached here) and than in my web site. I have to make it look like this to be able to achieve normal look.
Andre[attachment=3491:attachment]

samuel_js

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 10:13:13 pm »

To make my point a bit clearer : Look at the image in Safari (attached here) and than in my web site. I have to make it look like this to be able to achieve normal look.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andre, I did the test. I opened both side by side in Safari and Firefox. The picture om your website is a litle more saturated than this one. No difference safari/firefox. I also tested to upload this picture to my website and same results. If you open the image in PS as sRGB the image looks very poor. If you proof is as Adobe RGB it looks exaclty as the one posted here, also the same as when you open it in a browser. It could be that the flash version is more saturated than normal.

AndreNapier

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 12:27:26 am »

Andre, I did the test. I opened both side by side in Safari and Firefox. The picture om your website is a litle more saturated than this one. No difference safari/firefox. I also tested to upload this picture to my website and same results. If you open the image in PS as sRGB the image looks very poor. If you proof is as Adobe RGB it looks exaclty as the one posted here, also the same as when you open it in a browser. It could be that the flash version is more saturated than normal.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Samuel,
Wow, Your results are completely different than mine.  On my screen the picture on LL in Safari is very very red skin tone and the blouse almost orange/yellow. I had to make it look like this for the image to look good on my web. The LL pic looks the same as the oversaturated image I have on file.
Once posted on my website skin tone on my comps become nice and olivy.
With every image I post on website I have to play the game of hit and miss oversaturation.
Andre

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 12:55:27 am »

OK I get you now

Your website must have some sort of 'image proccessor' on board - you upload jpgs and it outputs flash files - the images are being processed before display

You proabably drop your images into a watch folder some where

this folder is watched by some bit of software that creates a flash version of the image

That piece of software may not even handle profiles at all or may apply its own one

I reckon you need to talk to your web people

or get a different site  like poerwed by live books (for example)

or use a pure HTML site that displays your jpgs

or just learn make the saturation adjustments through trial and error till they look right after 'processing'

SMM
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:58:26 am by Morgan_Moore »

AndreNapier

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 01:16:58 am »

OK I get you now

Your website must have some sort of 'image proccessor' on board - you upload jpgs and it outputs flash files - the images are being processed before display

You proabably drop your images into a watch folder some where

this folder is watched by some bit of software that creates a flash version of the image

That piece of software may not even handle profiles at all or may apply its own one

I reckon you need to talk to your web people

or get a different site  like poerwed by live books (for example)

or use a pure HTML site that displays your jpgs

or just learn make the saturation adjustments through trial and error till they look right after 'processing'

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144327\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Morgan,
I think you are right!
However this week I am playing with Foliolink.com ( web designed for photogs ) taking their 7 days trial and uploading images and the results are the same as on my original website.
I am wondering if any of you guys ever bother to open your original image next to your website image to see them side by side on large screen. I can live with my results if I know that it is not just my stupidity that causes it.
Andre

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 01:28:09 am »

Thanks Morgan,
I think you are right!
However this week I am playing with Foliolink.com ( web designed for photogs ) taking their 7 days trial and uploading images and the results are the same as on my original website.
I am wondering if any of you guys ever bother to open your original image next to your website image to see them side by side on large screen. I can live with my results if I know that it is not just my stupidity that causes it.
Andre
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Remember your viewers may nt even have large screens

I look at my work on an $89 screen (accounts PC) , my PC sony trinittron, my mac eizo and mac lappy LCD - then I give up

I have thought about putting (as DPReview does) a grey scale on my site some where

Saying 'if you cant see the 25 greys here on your screen please have it calibrated to enjoy images to the full'

It is more annoying when clients accuse you of 'dark images' while viewing on thier 1995 machine

I think you need to find out about the colour management of FLASH - I have no idea I use HTML for my sites

Most likeley the app that creats your (flash)  images is a bit of freeware - if your designer actually made the 'animations' in Adobe Premier or suchlike then the management is proably handled better

S

TechTalk

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 01:35:27 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The image that you posted looks "normal" and is consistent in Safari, Photoshop and other programs that will use the embedded profile. The embedded profile for the image posted is NOT sRGB it is ColorMatch RGB. For the record ColorMatch RGB has a gamma of 1.8 and a white point of D50. sRGB is gamma 2.2 and a white point of D65. This may be the source of your problem.

The image on your web-page looks quite different than the image posted here. I think the problem may lie in the method that you're managing color profiles.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 02:22:54 am by TechTalk »

AndreNapier

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 02:22:14 am »

an
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:42:45 am by AndreNapier »

TorbenEskerod

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 02:26:13 am »

xx
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:57:22 am by TorbenEskerod »

TechTalk

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 02:32:42 am »

All right guys. I am struggling with this for a year. I tried converting to every single profile as well as assigning profiles, saving for web or downloading straight jps. I shoot RGB.
Color match was giving me the best results so it was not accident.
For the test  now I took my finish original RGB/16bit took it down to 8bits, sized it down to 72dpi
converted to srgb, saved as jpg at 12 and posted on http://andrenapier.com and bellow here.
Tell me that they look the same. Thanks to everyone that helps.
andre[attachment=3492:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144336\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Much closer now.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 06:55:38 am »

Andre, I've had similar issues; Torben's suggestion is a good one, or use Bridge to build the gallery and post to your website in a subfolder via ftp, this will eliminate the processing that your server side gallery app is doing to build the page. I assume you're using Slideshowpro or something similar?

Lastly, when your Gallery app builds your website in Flash, it must have an "images" folder somewhere in it's path where it sources the images before displaying. Can you grab this same image from THAT location (via ftp or whater method of access you have) and provide that file to us?

There certainly IS a color difference btwn your images, I've measured pixels with Apple's built in DigitalColor Meter utility to prove it, all images are being viewed in safari.

-Nik

Hi Andre

I can see the color difference between LL and your website in Safari, the image on your website also appears much softer? There must be some processing going on in your flash gallery. (LL on the right)

[attachment=3493:attachment]

To eliminate some errors, I would suggest to make a simple Lightroom gallery (or html gallery) with the image and upload it to your site host - then you can narrow your error search down.
Torben
PS this post was made before your last post.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144337\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up