Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9800 not spooling  (Read 6104 times)

jpjespersen

Epson 9800 not spooling
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:34:32 pm »

I am trying to print a 350MB file and it is not making it to my printer driver. I have printed files bigger than this in the past but now it does not seem to work. I reckon that it is because my printer doesn't spool jobs anymore, it just prints directly to printer. Does anyone know how to change the setting so it will spool the jobs instead of printing direct to printer? thanks,
I am on a mac

DougMorgan

• http://www.bcpanorama.com
Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:44:58 pm »

There are a variety of things we'd need to know:

Operating system version
Rip Yes/NO
Printing from Photoshop yes/no.
QImage yes/no
etc.

But assuming that you are using windows xp:
1) check that you don't have a message lurking somewhere.
2) check on the print queue itself to make sure there isn't a document spooling already -- windows is always slow....
3) go to settings, printers, properties, advanced, and select spool print documents.    You may have to restart windows and/or end any current print jobs.  

Hope one of the above help....
Doug

jpjespersen

Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 04:22:58 pm »

There are a variety of things we'd need to know:

Operating system version
Rip Yes/NO
Printing from Photoshop yes/no.
QImage yes/no
etc.

But assuming that you are using windows xp:
1) check that you don't have a message lurking somewhere.
2) check on the print queue itself to make sure there isn't a document spooling already -- windows is always slow....
3) go to settings, printers, properties, advanced, and select spool print documents.    You may have to restart windows and/or end any current print jobs. 

Hope one of the above help....
Doug
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144270\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am on a Mac 10.4.10 and I also tried from my brand new Imac.
I am printing from photoshop with epson driver.  It says printing and then nothing gets delivered to the print manager.  I have printed huge files in the past, but it used to always say spooling in the print manager and then start printing.  For some reason when I print any job now it does not say spooling, it just starts printing.
Thanks

hubell

Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 12:46:58 am »

I am on a Mac 10.4.10 and I also tried from my brand new Imac.
I am printing from photoshop with epson driver.  It says printing and then nothing gets delivered to the print manager.  I have printed huge files in the past, but it used to always say spooling in the print manager and then start printing.  For some reason when I print any job now it does not say spooling, it just starts printing.
Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144278\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try reducing the amount of RAM allocated to Photoshop to 50% and restart PS. I had the same problem you describe, and this worked for me.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:07:41 pm »

Just out of interest, are you running any other printers as well as your 9800 from your computer? I have made a rather embarrassing mistake before and was a real dill and forgot to check which printer I was actually sending the info to.

I have a small Canon printer which I needed to print some graphic text with, and I used the computer which generally is dedicated only to my 9800. I had forgotten that  I printed this one page on the Canon, and it took me ages to work out why nothing was happening when I tried to print using my 9800.  There were no warning messages - "Silly - check the printer name in the Page Setup dialogue box" :-). It went through all the motions of saying it was printing - but nothing was happening. (my Canon had since been unplugged.)

Just an idea that may be the cause.
Julie

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:14:25 am »

There is a known issue when printing certain large size files from Potoshop CS3 where during the beta you would get a program error but in the shipping version, the spooling would simply disappear. Once that happens, Photoshop CS3 can no longer seem to print, period without resetting the Photoshop CS3 preferences.

Adobe is aware that printing from Photoshop CS3 is, well less that optimal...John Nack just posted an anouncement on his blogFixes for Photoshop printing due soon. Check it out.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:36:32 pm by Schewe »

jpjespersen

Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:02:15 pm »

There is a known issue when printing certain large size fiules from Potoshop CS3 where during the beta you would get a program error but in the shipping version, the spooling would simply disappear. Once that happens, Photoshop CS3 can no longer seem to print, period without resetting the Photoshop CS3 preferences.

Adobe is aware that printing from Photoshop CS3 is, well less that optimal...John Nack just posted an anouncement on his blogFixes for Photoshop printing due soon. Check it out.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145260\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for this!  It is definitely a CS3 only problem.  My workaround has been to print files off of my old laptop which still has CS2 loaded.  I hope they fix this soon.  It seems pretty ridiculous that one is not able to print large files via CS3.  It really adds a lot of time to my jobs to have to transfer the files to my laptop and then print from that.
Thanks again Shewe.
JP Jespersen

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 03:26:38 pm »

Jeff,

You say that it's with "certain" files. As far as I can tell, it's completely random. Sometimes large files print and sometimes they don't. I've printed a file once and then had the exact same file not print trying to print it again minutes later. Has anyone figured out the criteria for what's happening, other than printing from CS? For the record, this happens in CS2 also. Epson's 50% ram allocation does not seem to reliably skirt the problem.

jpjespersen

Epson 9800 not spooling
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 08:04:49 pm »

for me it is only bigger files, over 250 MB's.  And for my record, I can print any size file in cs2 with no problems, so it is what I am using for my large file printing.
Jeff,

You say that it's with "certain" files. As far as I can tell, it's completely random. Sometimes large files print and sometimes they don't. I've printed a file once and then had the exact same file not print trying to print it again minutes later. Has anyone figured out the criteria for what's happening, other than printing from CS? For the record, this happens in CS2 also. Epson's 50% ram allocation does not seem to reliably skirt the problem.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up