Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer Camp Sites in Death Valley?  (Read 6921 times)

Paul Sumi

Trailer Camp Sites in Death Valley?
« on: October 06, 2007, 03:29:53 pm »

Hi All,

My best friend recently bought an 18 ft (6 meter) Airstream trailer.  Sometime this winter after the first of the year we're meeting in Death Valley to photograph (he's in San Francisco Bay area, I'm down in Los Angeles).

While we both are fairly well acquainted with Death Valley, neither of us has camped there, let alone trailer camped there.  

If anyone can recommend any trailer camping spots in Death Valley with trailer hookups, I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts.  

Thanks,

Paul

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:09:55 pm »

Try Stovepipe Wells in DV they have 12 full hookups and a lot more dry camping.  Even if the full hooks are full you'll find restrooms and showers right across the street.

don

Paul Sumi

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:55:48 pm »

Try Stovepipe Wells in DV they have 12 full hookups and a lot more dry camping.  Even if the full hooks are full you'll find restrooms and showers right across the street.

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144276\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Don.  Furnace Creek has also been suggested.

Best,

Paul

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:50:33 pm »

Paul, Furnace Creek is about 5-10 miles away from Stovepipe Wells and about 100' lower.  I've stayed at Stovepipe Wells and liked it because it can be within walking distance of the Sand Dunes there.  

I suggest just going there checking both places out and staying where you like it the most - either place you can't go wrong.

When are you going?  It's been know to snow in December!

don

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:36:02 pm »

Paul, Furnace Creek is about 5-10 miles away from Stovepipe Wells and about 100' lower.  I've stayed at Stovepipe Wells and liked it because it can be within walking distance of the Sand Dunes there. 

I suggest just going there checking both places out and staying where you like it the most - either place you can't go wrong.

When are you going?  It's been know to snow in December!
don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don,

Dates haven't been set, most likely late winter/early spring.  I was in DV this year the end of March.  Stovepipe Wells seems more central of the 2 locations.  And, as you say, it's very close to the sand dunes.

Best,

Paul

Hank

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:07:11 pm »

Watch out for big events (Death Valley Days, I think they're called) and all weekends in the spring.  The campgrounds get really full. Here is the official site with a link to info on camping.  This unoffical site is a lot more informative.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 08:43:29 pm »

I was there this past January, which turned out to be a great time of year to be there. Great weather and few tourists. I stayed a few days at Furnace Creek, which was handy to Zabriski Point, and then a few days at Stovepipe Wells, where I visited the sand dunes about siz times. Fantastic stuff!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

harleygirl239

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 12:15:31 pm »

My husband & I go every year in Mid to late February and stay 3-4 weeks. Just go online to the Death Valley site and they give you the numbers to call.  Furnace Creek campground is reservation. Stovepipe wells usually has spots available.
We dry camp, we're setup in a 38ft fifthwheel with a generator and the water & dump are righ there. We stay across from Furnace Creek in the big lot.
Have fun and enjoy all there is to see.  Be sure to hike Willow Canyon to see one of the several waterfalls in the park.

Paul Sumi

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 02:21:22 pm »

Don, Hank, EricM and harleygirl239,

Thank you all for your replies, your information is very helpful.

One question for harleygirl: how far in advance do you recommend that we make reservations for Furnace Creek?

Thanks,

Paul

harleygirl239

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:30:54 pm »

Don, Hank, EricM and harleygirl239,

Thank you all for your replies, your information is very helpful.

One question for harleygirl: how far in advance do you recommend that we make reservations for Furnace Creek?

Thanks,

Paul
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you know the dates you're going I'd make them right now, you can always cancel.  Here's the online link for reservations at Furnace Creek
[a href=\"http://www.recreation.gov]http://www.recreation.gov[/url]  They do fill up fast with the snow birds passing through.  Here is the site with all the campgrounds in Death Valley and the ammenities  http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camp...eservations.htm
Hope you get the site you're looking for, maybe we'll see you there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up