Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low Tide  (Read 3717 times)

Argyllman

• http://web.mac.com/jwrevie/iWeb/PPR/Welcome.html
Low Tide
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:37:11 am »

this photo was taken in tobermory harbour at low tide
comments welcomed1
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 10:38:31 am by Argyllman »
http//web.mac.com/jwrevie/welcome

jd1566

Low Tide
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 04:43:33 am »

Hi there.

In looking at this picture I'm trying to understand what you are looking at exactly.. i.e. what do you want to transmit to the viewer.  Is it the desolation of a sea shore with it's empty boat, is it the play of reflections in the water?  I must confess that I feel cramped in this picture, uncomfortable, almost claustrophobic.  I'm overwhelmed by the boat, and cannot escape to the horizon or other feature..  The mooring line that leads to the bottom of the picture is my only escape.  I have difficulty in understanding what you wanted to accomplish here, and in this sense the picture is uneasy.

As for some suggestions?  Always given when they're not wanted.. :-)  I think the boat needs to be put into it's context more, In this case more is better, so either a horizon, more of the reflection, a lower or higher angle with some other object or feature to bounce from.. the boat on it's own is not enough.  Maybe another smaller boat in the background. Importantly what do you want to communicate? Ask yourself that, and think how better to get that across to the viewer.

Hope this helps.
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

blansky

Low Tide
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 12:40:55 pm »

Not to be too negative but this shot says to me......keep practicing.

It is a rather unattractive boat, meaning not photogenic, not old and weathered, no real character, not abandoned or derelict, not pretty etc.

The composition is boring and the photograph has no real impact. There is no mood here or real reason that you would be drawn to look at the picture.

In short, not a keeper.

But keep shooting.

Michael

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Low Tide
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 04:31:22 pm »

FWIW, I agree... Not much to look at.  You might try it in B&W and see if you can get anything out of it there...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up