Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mamiya website  (Read 15498 times)

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 09:59:39 pm »

Hi
http://www.montalbetticampbell.com/#mi=2&p...=8&p=1&a=0&at=0

Both images of Shane Watson were shot with the ZD camera @ iso 50 developed in RD. I have a cloud library that I mainly shoot with the ZD over the 5D because of the DR. I also shoot with the Aptus 22 & @ iso 50 in the studio they are very close. However when LR will be tethered to the ZD which I heard about 3 months ago from Foto Care the the value of the ZD will increase.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 01:22:42 am »

Hey How are you..:+}
Well I do not want to get in an argument, But You have posted reviews that are pretty old and the 2 or 3 examples here are of trees or Some sky line. That is it.
Not much portrait or fashion. Are just Landscapers using it at the moment?
Well the fact is that there is VERY little if any information about it.
Also I never said they came in one time and if I did I restated that a couple of times meaning maybe twice at most they were in at B&H.
certainly there is not much about on the net about the ZD really.
So that makes many wonder what is going on.
Like I said I probably will being going with a Leaf aptus 22 so it really does not matter for me. It was just curiosity really and maybe hoping it would be better.
Thanks for the information.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Snook and others,

Snook I know you have thought of the ZD back for quite some time now. Why not buy/try the ZD to see if it works for you? If it works it will save $$$ money over the Leaf or Phase. From what I understand B&H has good return policy. That is also a way to ensure that you get a ZD back that do not have any problems with it.

Lets face it, Mamiya is smaller than Nikon and Canon. I am just back from travel on my vacation today and last I heard from my agent was a couple of weeks ago. Around that time they said that Mamiya was informed and was working on the problems.

ZD vs. DSLR -
Whether we compare the ZD to DSLR or not depends on our shooting and budget. Personally I do compare to that. I do not like the backs because they are bulky. Likewise I am not interested in spending more on a camera than the ZD because buying the ZD camera was already stepping up in $$ from D200. The ZD does seem to excel over anything that has been posted of photos from 1Ds Mk3 and D3 as far as ISO50-125 and DR + darkest/lightest regions. Do a search on all those three cameras and review samples. It would be great if any of those were better or close, because DSLRs come with other advantages such as speed and low noise at much higher ISOs.

ZD Reviews -
Why not more on ZD? It seems like 95% of internet is dominated by USA sites and the ZD back is just recent available in USA. Also as pointed out in above it is MF and not DSLR or point and shoot. Thus not what is most of sales for webpages or magazines. Per my knowledge, LL is the forum with most on MF, at least based on posts per day.

ZD Camera vs. ZD back -
That depends on preferences. The ZD back allows you to switch back or replace back. The ZD camera does not. On other hand, the ZD camera feels much nicer at least in my hands and has the best user interface that I have seen on any digital camera period. It is worth checking out for anyone who is in an area where it is available (seems anywhere except in USA). The ZD camera does not consist of two pieces as does the ZD back with AFDII. This to me seems is benefit with the ZD camera because the ZD back+AFDII comes with an additional joint through which dust can penetrate and a contact between back and AFD camera that shall be clean at all times. The hollow void chamber of the AFDII is also much larger than the one in the ZD camera and thus a larger space to keep clean. Granted, to upgrade the ZD camera it needs to be replaced. So what? Is there much difference in cost? What of compared to 1Ds Mk II/III? Per my experience the ZD camera feels rather lovely to shoot with. Unlike Nikon and Canon DSLRs that feels like complex computers in their user interface, the ZD camera handles like a DSLR and feels like a real camera, very photographically oriented. Of course it is slower than a DSLR because it is a medium format handling SLR.

Samples of ZD -
There are more Leaf and Phase backs out there because they have been out longer, thus more users of such brands. Also, there is more info on Canons and Nikons because they sell higher volumes than MF. Any other reasons? More people than me have certainly posted in forums: Quentin, Michael Ezra, Stefan Marquardt, Frank Doorhof, Frank Richardson, Denis Montalbetti to name a few here at LL (all have been very helpful  ). For model photos propably Frank Doorhof has posted the very best. Before my purchase I read all I could find on internet on the ZD, searching not only LL, but all I could find on internet period, including also Chinese, Japanese, Dutch etc writings using Google! To be frank, I think all I say in this post is already available here on LL, at least near all of it, just search and read.

Limitations -
Something that shall be said of the ZD camera and ZD back is that they are limited to 50-125 ISO for very high quality results, and preferably need good light. To be frank, these are what I experience as limitations for some of my shooting. So yes, I am keenly reading of the 1Ds Mk 3 also, but... I do not like white blobs at sunset for a sun... just to mention one example, nor near pure black as shadows. Yet... we shall see when more examples are available from the 1Ds Mk 3 (yet its user inferface seem to literally suck in comparison, too many steps!).

Attached Samples to my Post -
Attached are three photos and a crop from one, of an amateur model shoot I joined in Shanghai the other weekend. The light conditions were not good. It was a bit rainy and I was really struggling for light with slow shutters & HANDHELD. Thus I took my chance to push the ZD and shot attached photos at ISO160 and doing my best to hold camera very still, supporting my arms on anything when I got the chance. Where dark the shots came out rather noisy, but those ones still look ok to me in small size. Do bear in mind that I am an amateur and that I until now have less than 600 exposures on my ZD camera! The girl in window was shot with the 55-110 wide open and remaining ones with the 80 f/1.9 manual focus lens at wide open. The 80mm f/1.9 lens is awesome: cheap, light weight and super optics. I focused by moving camera instead of using focus ring, simple. I guess this lens corresponds to a 50mm f/1.0 on 35mm terms... Ah yah, here we go again... I am posting photos with chance of being executed! Check out the scrutinization of my entire photographic hobby and person when I posted on Dpreview that I sold my D200 because I never liked it, and was considering the ZD. Absurd. I only post my experience, but not all appreciate... In regards to ZD, the lenses are top notch but lighter in weight and for most part cheaper than Nikon of Canon equivelents, at least in Asia.

Apart from the limitation of 50-125 ISO and the problem I have found with my sensor I am very pleased with the ZD. That problem is still to be corrected by my agent. What has delayed it is simply me living in Korea and not being able to send it out of this country because they here require an export license when one sends a camera exceeding value 2000 usd out of Korea, absurd but true! I will get the problem rectified before end of this month when I will visit my agent same time as I go on a business trip. I feel they support me, which is different from what I felt from Nikon. Nikon was just as they do business.

Someone mentioned a ZD II. Why? The ZD back is brand new. The best that can happen is that all problems are corrected and that Mamiya update firmware so that ISO up to 400 is fully useable to high quality! Add to that wishlist that they come out with a manual focus stepped down metering 28mm lens that is cheap and low weight. The current 28mm is too expensive. Well something like a manual focus stopped down metering 20mm (equal to 14mm for 35mm format) would be awesome... dream...  

Woops, long post (and wording corrected after work)! I should add that actual focus for my photography is landscapes and people living traditional lives on travels. The model shoot was just for fun  

Regards  
Anders
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:54:51 am by Anders_HK »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
New Mamiya website
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 05:58:36 am »

Hey How are you..:+}
Well I do not want to get in an argument, But You have posted reviews that are pretty old and the 2 or 3 examples here are of trees or Some sky line. That is it.
Not much portrait or fashion. Are just Landscapers using it at the moment?
Well the fact is that there is VERY little if any information about it.
Also I never said they came in one time and if I did I restated that a couple of times meaning maybe twice at most they were in at B&H.
certainly there is not much about on the net about the ZD really.
So that makes many wonder what is going on.
Like I said I probably will being going with a Leaf aptus 22 so it really does not matter for me. It was just curiosity really and maybe hoping it would be better.
Thanks for the information.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144480\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you bother reading anything anyone posts here?  One link to a full-size example I just posted was a food shot.  Anders has posted portraits.  People try to be helpful but your replies ignore it.

sheesh...

Quentin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:01:35 am by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Bernd B.

New Mamiya website
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 08:41:43 am »

Do you bother reading anything anyone posts here?  One link to a full-size example I just posted was a food shot.  Anders has posted portraits.  People try to be helpful but your replies ignore it.

sheesh...

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144571\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ideed there is not much on the ZD here.... One poster even took away his two pictures of a young woman after some critique (critique on camera faults, pictures were fine otherwise).

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:26:48 am »

Ideed there is not much on the ZD here.... One poster even took away his two pictures of a young woman after some critique (critique on camera faults, pictures were fine otherwise).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Strange... for it was plenty posts when I searched and researched before purchase a few months ago...

Perhaps check following names:

Quentin
Michael Ezra
Stefan Marquardt
Frank Doorhof
Frank Richardson
Denis Montalbetti
BernardLanguillier
Anders_HK

I am sure if you search you find my topic on ZD reviews... but here it is:
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17333&hl=]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=17333&hl=[/url]

"One poster even took away his two pictures of a young woman after some critique" - Who can blame? I am getting tired also.    

Rgds  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 11:36:55 am by Anders_HK »

SeanBK

New Mamiya website
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 01:47:04 pm »

I do not know who this company is, but I received today a promo from
MAC Group
8 Westchester Plaza
Elmsford, New York 10523
 they say in their promo e-mail that they have "Mamiya 645ZD. Now Digital. 22 Megapixel System. Now Available"
      Looks quite legit to me. Their return e-mail is;
MAC Group [MAC_Group@mail.vresp.com]

jimgolden

• http://
New Mamiya website
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 02:14:02 pm »

MAC=mamiya america corporation which is also somehow related to Leaf or something...
basically US distributor of mamiya

RobertJ

New Mamiya website
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2007, 03:41:06 pm »

Isn't the MAC group the distributor of Mamiya, Profoto, Toyo, Sekonic..........

Snook

New Mamiya website
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2007, 08:42:53 pm »

Isn't the MAC group the distributor of Mamiya, Profoto, Toyo, Sekonic..........
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just got the same Mail today..
looks like they are going to start shipping more out. They were waiting all the red tape with being the rep of Leaf as well which is basically competition. I think that was all the hold up in the USA. And hopefully fixing some bugs. But I guess we'll see soon after they start selling them..:+}
Snook

photoman888

New Mamiya website
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 12:42:24 pm »

I ordered a ZD back from Adorama about three weeks ago.
I received an email yesterday from them saying it will ship this week.
I will post sample shots as soon as I can.

Bernd B.

New Mamiya website
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 03:53:28 pm »

I ordered a ZD back from Adorama about three weeks ago.
I received an email yesterday from them saying it will ship this week.
I will post sample shots as soon as I can.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144846\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for making the effort!

jonstewart

New Mamiya website
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 03:58:16 pm »

Perhaps check following names:

Frank Doorhof

...and Frank gave up on his because he couldn't see a solution to the problems forthcoming from Mamiya, if I remember right! (Now shooting Leaf, I believe)
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 12:15:35 am »

Snook and others,

Mamiya recently received a shipment of new firmware backs from Japan about a week ago. I was told they're making their way into the channels. There's been a bunch of tweaking to the firmware to fix the purple noise and other issues. I returned my ZD back to MAC after it shut down in the middle of shoot a few weeks ago. They swapped the back for a new one with zero questions asked. Unfortunately, I've been traveling and on shoots for the last week so I haven't had an opportunity to test the new rig. If what the techs at MAC say is true the new backs should have the kinks worked out. The jury is still out on if this is the case.

One more thing, I started a running review in another thread about the ZD back a few weeks ago but after taking an undeserved beating from you and a few others I pulled my posts and decided not to waste my time. I'd be happy to post images and relay my experience with the ZD but IMO this forum seems to be populated by folks who would rather bitch and moan than put their money where their mouth is.

It's really a shame because with the disinfo and voodoo that seems to be the norm in the world of medium format digital a forum where WORKING photographers can share their experiences is needed now more than ever.
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
New Mamiya website
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 02:22:27 am »

Snook and others,

Mamiya recently received a shipment of new firmware backs from Japan about a week ago. I was told they're making their way into the channels. There's been a bunch of tweaking to the firmware to fix the purple noise and other issues. I returned my ZD back to MAC after it shut down in the middle of shoot a few weeks ago. They swapped the back for a new one with zero questions asked. Unfortunately, I've been traveling and on shoots for the last week so I haven't had an opportunity to test the new rig. If what the techs at MAC say is true the new backs should have the kinks worked out. The jury is still out on if this is the case.

One more thing, I started a running review in another thread about the ZD back a few weeks ago but after taking an undeserved beating from you and a few others I pulled my posts and decided not to waste my time. I'd be happy to post images and relay my experience with the ZD but IMO this forum seems to be populated by folks who would rather bitch and moan than put their money where their mouth is.

It's really a shame because with the disinfo and voodoo that seems to be the norm in the world of medium format digital a forum where WORKING photographers can share their experiences is needed now more than ever.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob,

Good post!

I understand what you say. I am tired too...

Good to see you back! Will be nice to hear what you say of the updates to the back. Would be good if they have extended the usable (low noise) ISO50-125 into higher ISO. My ZD camera gets noisy at above ISO 125 in dark regions where not much light. Thanks!

Regards
Anders
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 02:25:21 am by Anders_HK »

JDBFreeheel

New Mamiya website
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 02:38:49 am »

Snook and others,

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the info.  Can you explain the problems you had in more detail?   Were you using the AFD or AFDII?  I ask only b/c I have had intermittent issues with my ZD back (though no purple worms yet) and wanted to see if the problems I've experienced may be the result of the old firmware.  

Did you go through your Mamiya rep or directly with MAP?

Thanks.

-Josh

Frank Doorhof

New Mamiya website
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 02:41:45 am »

Let me also add some points.

A lot of people scan for problems and post only that, and it's a shame that they scanned my review for that.

I have mentioned MANY MANY times that I needed a solution within a few days and because Mamiya could not GARANTUE Me a working back within a week I made the switch, which did cost me more money than I planned.
And yes the Leaf is better but it's over here almost 3x as expensive.

The problems WILL be solved by Mamiya was my guarantee for the purple stamp like problems, I don't know for the noise, my problem was MUCH MORE PRESENT than noise.

The only question mark for me is the tethered shooting to a pc which they could NOT guarantee me to work, so that's the MAIN reason I made the switch, tethered shooting to a PC is 99% of my work.

So please take note....
I still stand behind my review of the ZD back as a GREAT unit for a GREAT price.
I had some bad luck with my second back (first one was wonderful) but that is being solved (or is already solved).

Greetings,
Frank

helged

New Mamiya website
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2007, 05:48:37 pm »

Any views or news on whats meant by or hidden behind "viewfinder cameras"?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

From an ongoing discussion on photo.net, I have learned that ALPA12+ZD is around the corner: [a href=\"http://www.mamiya.co.jp/alpa/alpa_c.html]http://www.mamiya.co.jp/alpa/alpa_c.html[/url]. Interesting (also wrt M7D).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up