Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD and lenses  (Read 5334 times)

Antarctic Mat

Mamiya ZD and lenses
« on: October 05, 2007, 08:02:07 am »

Hello there.

I'm after a little advice from those that know.

I'm researching into my next purchase, I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination but a keen amateur. I have £10k that I'd like to spend on a new photography set up, I'd love to go Medium Format but doubt I will get everything I need with a digital back for my budget. I have read a little about the Mamiya ZD though and it seems an option and there seems to be a lot of differing views, what I'd like to know is what are the lenses like? I see a lot of varying lenses on ebay, for example at incredibly cheap prices, how do they fare compared with Canon or is it not something I can compare?

I have 2 options at the moment, buy the new 1DS3 when it's released and spend the rest on some new lenses, I currently have a 20d and a couple of L series or go for the ZD and whatever lenses I can pick up around the place.

I like to do a bit of everything really, mainly landscape but animals and people when I get the chance, I'd like to get the best quality I can for my money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mat.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:39:24 am »

With ZD you will get better quality. Lenses are sharp, but what is even sharper is the sensor! there is no AA filter, no canon or Nikon dSRL images can compare in sharpness to ZD.

If you would need to shoot at ISO higher than 160 or to shoot in very fast and long bursts only then you would need to consider top Canon, Nikon or more expensive faster digital backs.

I have made landscapes with stitching of many ZD captures. The few hundred megapixel images are simply stunning in quality and are pixel-sharp.

Antarctic Mat

Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:54:25 am »

Thanks for your reply Michael.

I have read a lot of comments on the ISO situation and feel it's something I'm going to be able to work around. The speed of the camera isn't really a big issue, at the moment I tend to take quite a lot of time over what I'm shooting, not that it often shows!
The lenses was an area that I couldn't find much information on, having a nice big sensor and then choking it with glass that is not up to the job would be disappointing. I have read about digital backs but I like the freedom associated with the ZD and that of SLR's in general, I like being outside and I'm planning a long trip soon in order to take pictures in as many remote areas as I can find so I think I'm suited more to the single unit.

Thanks again for your comments.
Mat.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 10:43:29 am »

just to summarise, I find ZD sensor & Mamiya glass combination much sharper than any Canon/Nikon system.

I have Mamiya 55mm, 80mm and 150mm AF lenses. All three lenses are excelent.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 10:44:52 am by MichaelEzra »

BJL

Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:38:13 pm »

Does anyone know how usable Mamiya's manual focus lenses are on its AF bodies?

My dream of a MF body with a couple of lenses might depend on using a Mamiya 45mm manual focus lens on a Mamiya 645AF body, rather than using any of the far more expensive current AF MF wide angle lenses.

(Mamiya AF body even if I do not care much about AF, because the kit of that with a standard lens is now the cheapest medium format SLR option in production at US$4,000, cheaper than any remaining manual focus option.)

godtfred

• http://
Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 02:50:05 pm »

My dream of a MF body with a couple of lenses might depend on using a Mamiya 45mm manual focus lens on a Mamiya 645AF body, rather than using any of the far more expensive current AF MF wide angle lenses.

(Mamiya AF body even if I do not care much about AF, because the kit of that with a standard lens is now the cheapest medium format SLR option in production at US$4,000, cheaper than any remaining manual focus option.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you go the HB CF route, there are original back-mountplates to fit it on Mamiya ProTL bodies, and you get a reasonbly manual camera with mamiya manual lenses. I would myself just use manual lenses on an AFD II body... but each his own  

(The TL is of couse discontinued, along with so much good MF gear from days of old...)

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 03:18:19 pm »

Mat,

While I don't shoot with the ZD I do however have a 645 AFD II w/a P30+ back.  Regarding your question of how usable the Mamiya's manual focus lens are:  I shoot with two manual lens in my kit; the Mamiya 300 f/2.8 as well as the Hartblei.   I've never encountered a problem with either lens that I didn't cause myself.  A manual lens will work just fine so long as you take the time to slow down and focus then check the focus again.  Kinda like take a deep breath or two then do your focusing.  While you might be able to get the shot handheld, the manual focus lens will be for the tripod.

Speaking of lens.  I came from (and still have)  Canon gear and never thought for a moment that I would ever buy a used lens.  Then I switched to MF and Mamiya.  With the exception of the lens that came with the body (as well as the Hartblei) all my Mamiya lens have been brought used or as a demo from B&H, KEH, or E-Bay for far less money but with equal amount of quality.

Switch to MF but don't sell your Canon gear.  MF images are much better than 35mm (IMHO) with a price; that price is the speed.  I use my MF for landscape and the Canon gear for nature, which includes wildlife.

Hope this helps

don

Snook

Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:18:35 pm »

I always dream that could use my Leafshutter lens' I have.
I have the 55,80,150 and they are pretty much useless now. And seeing how the AFD II sync at 125.th that stinks!
Does anybody know if there is any way to "rig" the leafshutters to work. Even manually cranking them or something???
What a drag I cannot use these and I do not want to have a back for my ProTL just for that.
Do the leafshutter lens not even fit into the AFDII?
I have not recieved my AFDII body to try.
I thinking of buying an RZII and plate to sue a back just to be able and shoot at 500/th again with flash..
Snook

Antarctic Mat

Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 04:43:41 pm »

Thanks for the comments Don and others.

I'm pretty sure I could afford some decent lenses if I went the ZD route, there's a UK supplier advertising the body with an 80mm lens kit at around the £6k mark which would leave me £4k for a few nice AF lenses, I have seen a few AF lenses advertised on ebay,  that said being down here in the cold my autofocus on my Canon gear plays up below -40 so I tend to use manual most of the time anyway, I don't have the rear screen on either to maintain battery life so I don't think the small screen on the ZD will bother me to much.
I agree I will keep the Canon gear for more lively subjects, I could maybe get a 5d along with the ZD in my budget.
I had a bt of a look at the 8,000 images I have taken here and kept, they are all either ISO 100 or 200, I think I will probably cope with the narrow ISO range on the ZD, the idea of getting into Medium Format is a great one!

Cheers.
Mat.

jonstewart

Mamiya ZD and lenses
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 05:22:42 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144069\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm waiting on a P45 to arrive atm. I have the AFD2 and a Mamiya Sekor C 45mm (as well as the 50 shift & 24 Fisheye, CZJ 80, 180 and 300, & Hartblei SR 45 (all in Pentacon 6 w/ adaptor)) Also have (or are coming) the current AF 35, 80, 150 & 55-110.

PM me if you think I can help you with your question.

(Needless to say, I'm not changing the car this year!)

PS I agree completely with Don.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:24:35 pm by jonstewart »
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up