Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom /Aperture market share?  (Read 13101 times)

narikin

Lightroom /Aperture market share?
« on: October 05, 2007, 07:06:18 am »

does anyone know the market share figures of the competing products, or care to hazard an educated guess?

Aperture got a head start, but Adobe have fought back well, and seem to be the product of choice now, and the market leader, from what I sense, though I may be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 07:12:04 am by narikin »

sniper

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:54:51 am »

does anyone know the market share figures of the competing products, or care to hazard an educated guess?

Aperture got a head start, but Adobe have fought back well, and seem to be the product of choice now, and the market leader, from what I sense, though I may be wrong.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143976\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I f I had to hazard a guess I'd say Lightroom was ahead, theres just so many more PC users than Mac.  Now if Apple launched a PC version of apeture... I wonder who would win then???  Wayne

Langsey

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 12:52:49 pm »

"I f I had to hazard a guess I'd say Lightroom was ahead, theres just so many more PC users than Mac. Now if Apple launched a PC version of apeture... I wonder who would win then??? Wayne"

I would say Lightroom would be in the lead. If Aperture started a PC version now, Lightroom would still lead in market share.  Aperture would have to introduce both versions at the same time to have the lead in market share.

John
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:55:20 pm by Langsey »

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 01:40:50 pm »

I'd wager that there will NEVER be a PC version as Aperture uses Mac OS X's 'Core Image' technology for image manipulation.

Lightroom is in the lead for sure and will stay there, even if Aperture improves significantly and is the 'better' app. with v2.

-Nik

"I f I had to hazard a guess I'd say Lightroom was ahead, theres just so many more PC users than Mac. Now if Apple launched a PC version of apeture... I wonder who would win then??? Wayne"

I would say Lightroom would be in the lead. If Aperture started a PC version now, Lightroom would still lead in market share.  Aperture would have to introduce both versions at the same time to have the lead in market share.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144043\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 02:20:48 am »

If you look at the header for topics in these forums you will see that the forum for lightroom has about 8,000 posts, and the forum for Aperture has about 237 posts.  That tells me a lot.

I think that Adobe Lightroom (LR) has better color controls, Aperture has better cataloging, and LR has a better user interface. Aperture is probably more stable.  I like the integration that all the Apple peoducts have, but use LR becuase the color manipulation is the most important factor to me.

narikin

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 02:25:37 am »

If you look at the header for topics in these forums you will see that the forum for lightroom has about 8,000 posts, and the forum for Aperture has about 237 posts.  That tells me a lot.

good point.
but from those figures I'd say Aperture is on life-support, which I dont think is the case.

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 03:29:51 am »

It's not a case of one application killing off the other, there's room in the market for both as they have unique strengths and weaknesses. I just think that Lightroom has more users, just like there are more PC users vs Mac users. They can co-exist. Good for us.

good point.
but from those figures I'd say Aperture is on life-support, which I dont think is the case.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

glacort

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 01:52:19 pm »

Maybe Aperture users are out taking great photos while Lightroom ones are chatting here

(just kidding ...!)

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 03:58:45 pm »

aperture will NEVER win...it sucks...Lightroom is the way to go.....ultimate color control!!

Deep

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 04:32:42 am »

Even if you have a Mac, it has to be a fast, new Mac with a big screen to really take advantage of Aperture.  I tried it on my 15" Powerbook and it worked but was quite frustrating.  Lightroom, on the other hand, has worked very well indeed on my wee laptop.  I think of Aperture as being the tool for the big budget photographers and Lightroom for us more humble folk!  Tongue in cheek though, I may have picked Lightroom anyway...

Woops, forgot my main point - which is that there are many more "humble types" out there than the big budget folk, hence I would expect Lightroom to do better by ten or twenty to one.

Don.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:34:36 am by Deep »
Don

Goodlistener

• http://www.pbase.com/goodlistener
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 03:13:57 pm »

Personally, I'm a Mac user and have a very high opinon of the Mac.  Part of what I'm looking at is the ability to move about 5,000 photos wih meta data and keywords etc. from iPhoto into either Lihtroom or Aperture and the ability to do slide shows and so on, in general integrate with the Apple iLife suite.  No surprise - its easier to migrate from the Apple iPhoto system to the Apple Aperture system and once there, (in Aperture) its easier to integrate with iMovie, iWeb and iDVD.  

But.... I think I like LR a bit better if all it has to do is manage pure photos. So, for me its still a hard choice and I have 30 day trials on both.  Thoughts or comments from anybody who has been in the same situation would be most welcome.

Thanks

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 02:35:59 pm »

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:29:07 am »

Has anyone seen an update to these numbers recently?
Ted Dillard

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 10:50:26 am »

Quote from: teddillard
Has anyone seen an update to these numbers recently?

No, but just try comparing posts to forums. Not here, but the Adobe and Apple user forums.

John

joedecker

• http://www.rockslidephoto.com
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:35:08 am »

This is anecdotal, but I give photography workshops at a local art league.  When I've done general field workshops and such the students have overwhelmingly been using Lightroom, and when I looked into giving "intro to the digital darkroom" classes there was enormous interest in the Lightroom classes, but essentially no interest in the same class using Aperture.

--Joe
Joe Decker
Rock Slide Photography [url=h

DonLand

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 12:54:53 pm »

I've had both since their inceptions. I really like Aperture and used it almost exclusively until about 2 months ago when I gave LR another try. Well with the adjustments and brushes LR has I am VERY sorry to say that we have been moving over to LR. For me Aperture has the best organization and workflow, but when the image counts in controlling it and not having to move back and forth to PS, LR wins. Aperture is a little ways behind LR as far as basic color correction in so much as controlling shadows and highlight over exposure and far behind when you consider the spot color tools LR has. That being said, I am hoping Apple is working on Aperture and will come out with a killer 3.0 version, hopefully very soon.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 01:33:15 pm »

Wait - people use Aperture?  lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up