Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolleiflex Hy6  (Read 43331 times)

Carl Glover

• http://www.alephstudio.co.uk
Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2007, 11:22:09 am »

I'll be getting a pair of Sinar hy6 bodies - no problem!

I'll still have my trusty Rollei 6008AF and two spare bodies to fall back on. Not exactly a leap into the unknown if you've been been using the aforementioned system for several years. Hopefully most of the bugs have been ironed out by now. Watch this space...

jpjespersen

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2007, 12:25:05 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:26:17 pm by jpjespersen »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2007, 03:31:46 pm »

deleted
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Leica M8 locked up on me yesterday again and is again dead. This is a camera made by a stellar manufacturer which has hit bug after bug, this body is my *third* body. I'm nt buying another proto camera from a german or swiss source.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

heinrichvoelkel

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »

My Leica M8 locked up on me yesterday again and is again dead. This is a camera made by a stellar manufacturer which has hit bug after bug, this body is my *third* body. I'm nt buying another proto camera from a german or swiss source.

Edmund
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145151\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are a funny guy

BJL

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2007, 03:56:41 pm »

And with the next generation of 48 by 48 sensors ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144718\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have to ask my standard question:

do you have any evidence (such as statements or even hints from sensor makers or MF back makers) for you statement that 48x48mm sensors are coming, even though the MF industry leaders Hasselblad-Imacon/Fuji and Mamiya have no use for such sensors, having committed to a 42x56mm maximum frame size in their AF systems?

It seems to me instead that SLR formats larger than 42x56mm (and square formats) were already essentially abandoned by MF makers in the late film era.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 04:51:22 pm by BJL »

heinrichvoelkel

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2007, 04:51:54 pm »

It seems to me instead that SLR formats larger than 42x56mm were already essentially abandoned by MF makers in the late film era.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145159\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you mean? Nobody build and used film cameras with aformat larger than 42x56mm anymore, even in the film era

hubell

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2007, 04:56:53 pm »

No offense, but as great as this camera might be, this is the exact reason why I'd never come close to considering it for a tool that I make money with. Here we are, two weeks or so from when it's supposedly unveiled, and they don't even know how to communicate with the public on who is going to sell it.
Again, this seems like The Ultimate Dentist Camera -- if it goes down on a Sunday morning, when the guy is going to take a leisurely walk thru the countryside and "snap some snaps", then, well, what a shame. But nothing is really lost, because he goes back to being a dentist tomorrow morning, and he still gets paid.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure about the dentists in Nashville, but I checked around with the dentists in Boston and they told me they are not at all inclined toward the Hy6(or the Hasselblad H3D for that matter). They all have or want Phase backs because they all read LL religiously and that's what the cognoscenti here all use. It's sort of like having a Tiger Woods autographed driver.

BJL

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2007, 05:06:28 pm »

What do you mean? Nobody build and used film cameras with aformat larger than 42x56mm anymore, even in the film era
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That is what I meant: though a few 6x6 and 6x7 SLR's stayed in production, new medium format SLR designs have essentially all been 645 or smaller for a decade or more, with the sole exception of the so-far struggling Rollei 6x6 AF system. The only other SLR in a format larger than 645 still available is the Hasselblad 503CW from 1996.

doncody

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2007, 05:21:54 pm »

That is what I meant: though a few 6x6 and 6x7 SLR's stayed in production, new medium format SLR designs have essentially all been 645 or smaller for a decade or more, with the sole exception of the so-far struggling Rollei 6x6 AF system. The only other SLR in a format larger than 645 still available is the Hasselblad 503CW from 1996.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mamiya RZIID?

Don

BJL

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2007, 06:04:15 pm »

Mamiya RZIID?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145178\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
At most a minor tweak of an existing design, not much sign of an R&D commitment.

heinrichvoelkel

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2007, 07:35:57 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145173\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

could it be, that with the event of digital even in mediumformat and with the in the beginning tiny chipsize R&D  money would rather justify a smaller format, nonetheless technical evolution and development even in photography never quit happening.

And for me a 48x48 chip would be desirable, A2 in horizontal and vertical from the same shoot without uprezing in 300dpi is a question I do hear quite often from the customers/agencies...

And probably they, the larger chips, will come, any time soon, or some time later, as there is no way to cramp more MP into the tiny  chips they use today....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:36:35 pm by heinrichvoelkel »

heinrichvoelkel

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2007, 07:37:19 pm »

At most a minor tweak of an existing design, not much sign of an R&D commitment.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145189\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

why would you tweak something obsolete

BJL

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2007, 10:20:56 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If the camera is only obsolescent, not totally obsolete, and if the tweak is cheap, it could be worth it to allow it to work with digital backs and so keep a few lens and body sales going. Very different from the great expense of developing a new 48x48 or larger sensor and digital backs based on it if they are only usable with obsolescent gear.

TechTalk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2007, 02:32:33 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Because your company has lost so much money for so many years that you don't have the resources to design an entirely new paltform.
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Mark_Tucker

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2007, 10:48:24 am »

Not sure about the dentists in Nashville, but I checked around with the dentists in Boston and they told me they are not at all inclined toward the Hy6(or the Hasselblad H3D for that matter). They all have or want Phase backs because they all read LL religiously and that's what the cognoscenti here all use.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145171\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Howard,

Why so bitter? Turn that frown upside down! Why are you unhappy? Aren't you Mr. Hasselblad? Turns out, you're the winner in all this Race To Stay Alive. You bought Hasselblad. They're sowing new seeds every day. When they announce, it's right there on the shelves, shipping. The way it ought to be. Or, are you now unhappy to be joining our Contax Camp, which is "shooting a discontinued camera club"? Truly, it's not that big a deal at all. It makes your camera now feel even more "rare". And it still works as well, discontinued, as it did when it was still being made. Will still make you plenty of money.

hubell

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2007, 12:54:07 pm »

Howard,

Why so bitter? Turn that frown upside down! Why are you unhappy? Aren't you Mr. Hasselblad? Turns out, you're the winner in all this Race To Stay Alive. You bought Hasselblad. They're sowing new seeds every day. When they announce, it's right there on the shelves, shipping. The way it ought to be. Or, are you now unhappy to be joining our Contax Camp, which is "shooting a discontinued camera club"? Truly, it's not that big a deal at all. It makes your camera now feel even more "rare". And it still works as well, discontinued, as it did when it was still being made. Will still make you plenty of money.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145322\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bitter? Frown?  No way. Come on, Mark. You usually have such an exceptional sense of humor. I just returned from over two weeks in Southern Utah in my own version of "Into the Wild"(i.e., I give up fine Italian wine for the sake of art). Anyhow, I was sitting at the Boulder Grill in Boulder, Utah, for lunch after a sublime sunrise on Hell's Backbone Rd., taking an H3D where none has ventured so far, and  I find the Boulder Grill now has WIFI with your burger for God's sakes(I think this was one of the last places in the US to have mail delivered by horse). I go onto LL and see everyone arguing about which med format digital set-up is the ideal dentist camera, as part of a heated discussion about the marketing "prowess" of the Sinar/Leaf/Rollei axis, otherwise known as "The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight, Even with the Best Guns", with Mark Tucker stirring the pot as only he can do. I just knew I had to poll my dentist friends in Boston when I returned.
I am now also pissed at Hasselblad. $15K to upgrade from an H3D-39 to an H3D-II 39 for a 3" LCD is beyond ridiculous. God forbid they ever corner the market. The only good thing about being so pissed at Hasselblad it is that I finally feel I am in such esteemed company here.
Note to PSS: 150GB of files in the desert with not one error message.

Streetshooter

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2007, 01:28:42 pm »

Bitter? Frown?  No way. Come on, Mark. You usually have such an exceptional sense of humor. I just returned from over two weeks in Southern Utah in my own version of "Into the Wild"(i.e., I give up fine Italian wine for the sake of art). Anyhow, I was sitting at the Boulder Grill in Boulder, Utah, for lunch after a sublime sunrise on Hell's Backbone Rd., taking an H3D where none has ventured so far, and  I find the Boulder Grill now has WIFI with your burger for God's sakes(I think this was one of the last places in the US to have mail delivered by horse). I go onto LL and see everyone arguing about which med format digital set-up is the ideal dentist camera, as part of a heated discussion about the marketing "prowess" of the Sinar/Leaf/Rollei axis, otherwise known as "The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight, Even with the Best Guns", with Mark Tucker stirring the pot as only he can do. I just knew I had to poll my dentist friends in Boston when I returned.
I am now also pissed at Hasselblad. $15K to upgrade from an H3D-39 to an H3D-II 39 for a 3" LCD is beyond ridiculous. God forbid they ever corner the market. The only good thing about being so pissed at Hasselblad it is that I finally feel I am in such esteemed company here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Howard,

Will you post some pics taken with the 28mm to convince me the new DAC is worth the money they are asking for the H3D. It's decision time for me !

Pete

Mark_Tucker

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:51 pm »

Hi Howard,

I'm envious of your trip. Nothing better than Utah. You chose well.

I never thought I'd read those words, quoted above. Think about it -- for the price of the Hasselblad upgrade, you could buy TWO of the new 1ds3's, (and have a 3" LCD as well).

Really makes you wonder about the old adage, "You get what you pay for".

For the record, if I was Hasselblad, I'd close the system too. It's the only way to put the squeeze on market-leader PhaseOne. But in recent months, I thought Hasselblad was closing the system to get the prices down, to compete with Canon, (which is the only one worth competing with), but now, when I see these Hasselblad prices, I now think that Hasselblad is positioning themselves to be a boutique Ferrari, and they're fine to let Canon be mass-market Lexus, and not even compete with Canon at all. Personally, I have doubts about that strategy, but only time will tell.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:04:18 pm by Mark_Tucker »

josayeruk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2007, 02:59:07 pm »

Hey Howard,

Will you post some pics taken with the 28mm to convince me the new DAC is worth the money they are asking for the H3D. It's decision time for me !

Pete
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145351\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Pete, I intended to do this today but work got in the way.  

The next two weeks are a bit busy, but I will do my best.

All I can say (as heresay!) that if you imagine a building and capture with the 28mm then you will see the distortion, ie lines not straight - curvy walls!

Switch on DAC, and you could run a straight edge anywhere and it is perfect.  No increase in processing time, no perceptible loss of detail.  It really is that good.

Jo S.x

josayeruk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2007, 03:00:25 pm »

Don't forget Howard that a lot of the new stuff is available with Firmware just on FC 481, for your H3D.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up