Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rolleiflex Hy6  (Read 43329 times)

Steve Stayton

• http://www.lightmechanics.com
Rolleiflex Hy6
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:34:15 pm »

Looks like the Rollieflex branded version of the Hy6 will be shown at PhotoPlus Expo NYC:

http://www.imaginginsider.com/?p=60883

http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id|4494

This is the camera that is looking for someone to make a Phase One adapter plate. Or for Phase to get off the bench and sign a license with F&H.

jpjespersen

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:40:14 pm »

Looks like the Rollieflex branded version of the Hy6 will be shown at PhotoPlus Expo NYC:

http://www.imaginginsider.com/?p=60883

http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id|4494

This is the camera that is looking for someone to make a Phase One adapter plate. Or for Phase to get off the bench and sign a license with F&H.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143875\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I was told by a phase dealer that phase will be exhibiting a back on this camera at the ny expo

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:29:38 pm »

"Called the Rolleiflex Hy6, the new camera is a film-digital breakthrough that features a unique open system for high-end digital backs, but also 6x4.5 and 6x6 format film."

this does not sound like sinar and leaf only....but in the brochure they say "all sinar and some leaf backs.." i guess we will know more in a couple of weeks.....
i was always sure that phase would be on some incarnation of this camera....did not expect itto be so soon....

Graham Mitchell

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:53:04 pm »

This is the camera that is looking for someone to make a Phase One adapter plate.

Afaik, any digital back which fits onto a Sinar Hy6 will fit an AFi and a Rolleiflex Hy6 too, so it won't make a difference.

pss

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:13:49 pm »

Afaik, any digital back which fits onto a Sinar Hy6 will fit an AFi and a Rolleiflex Hy6 too, so it won't make a difference.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

afaik the Hy6 won't accept the leaf back and the Afi not the sinar....so it seems that the rolleiflex uses an adapter system to accept backs....anyway we will know more soon...
or maybe thierry or yaya have something to say here?

TechTalk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:39:18 pm »

Who is the importer/distributor of Rollei in the U.S.? Sinar or D.S.M.? Both seem to have claimed exclusive rights to sell Rollei professional products in the U.S. market.

Will lenses and accessories for the Hy6 be distributed by Leaf, Sinar and D.S.M.?

Who will provide service on the "Rollei" Hy6?
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Graham Mitchell

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:54 pm »

afaik the Hy6 won't accept the leaf back and the Afi not the sinar....so it seems that the rolleiflex uses an adapter system to accept backs....anyway we will know more soon...
or maybe thierry or yaya have something to say here?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thierry already has. See posts 16 and 17 in this thread:
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19705]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19705[/url]

mattlap2

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 01:07:59 am »

Who is the importer/distributor of Rollei in the U.S.? Sinar or D.S.M.? Both seem to have claimed exclusive rights to sell Rollei professional products in the U.S. market.

Will lenses and accessories for the Hy6 be distributed by Leaf, Sinar and D.S.M.?

Who will provide service on the "Rollei" Hy6?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sinar has worldwide rights to distribution with the exception of 2 countries I believe.   Japan and the UK.

D.S.M.   does not have rights in the US although claiming they do.   What they are currently doing is bringing in Grey Market product thru Japan and claiming to be the US importer.   Any purchase from them would probably be dicey from a warranty perspective and involve a camera being sent back to Japan.

TechTalk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 09:03:32 am »

My understanding is different: Sinar isn't planning to sell the Rolleiflex branded version of the Hy6, so F&H can sell their camera wherever they want through other channels. What they cannot do is license the Hy6 firmware to a digital backmaker. That right is a Jenoptik exclusive. So there is nothing "gray market" about the Horseman representation of the Rolleiflex Hy6 in the US or wherever they are selling their stuff when Sinar is not doing it.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It isn't very clear for any potential buyer. Looking at the Franke & Heidecke web-site, they appear to be a contract manufacturer with no mention of where to buy products.  [a href=\"http://www.franke-heidecke.net/]F&H Link[/url]

The Sinar Bron web-site makes no mention of Rollei products anywhere.  Sinarbron Link

D.S.M. seems to be the only one with a web-site talking about U.S. distribution, but via Japan.  DSM Link

Confusing!

Pham Minh Son

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 09:05:54 am »

My understanding is different: Sinar isn't planning to sell the Rolleiflex branded version of the Hy6, so F&H can sell their camera wherever they want through other channels. What they cannot do is license the Hy6 firmware to a digital backmaker. That right is a Jenoptik exclusive. So there is nothing "gray market" about the Horseman representation of the Rolleiflex Hy6 in the US or wherever they are selling their stuff when Sinar is not doing it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143949\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you have the Rolleiflex Hy6 camera can you use it on any digital back? Also can you use firmware update from Sinar and Leaf?

TechTalk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 02:55:14 pm »

If you have the Rolleiflex Hy6 camera can you use it on any digital back? Also can you use firmware update from Sinar and Leaf?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143992\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The development of the Hy6 appears to have been a joint effort with contributions from Jenoptik, Sinar, Leaf and Franke & Heidecke. Sinar will sell a Sinar version. Leaf will sell a Leaf version. It looks like there will also be a Rollei branded version, but nothing appears online regarding distribution of the Rollei brand except from D.S.M..

So, I'm still confused. Will Leaf and Sinar and D.S.M. all provide sales of lenses and accessories for the Hy6? Are firmware upgrades to the Hy6 universal or specific to brand? Who services what?

I guess time will tell. Anyone know yet?

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 11:28:13 pm »

Dear TechTalk,

I can tell you that Sinar will sell the Sinar branded Hy6 in the USA, through its official distributor, together with all lenses and accessories.

Service and support are of course also included in this service, as well as firmware updates, like for any "normal" product.

Best regards,
Thierry

The development of the Hy6 appears to have been a joint effort with contributions from Jenoptik, Sinar, Leaf and Franke & Heidecke. Sinar will sell a Sinar version. Leaf will sell a Leaf version. It looks like there will also be a Rollei branded version, but nothing appears online regarding distribution of the Rollei brand except from D.S.M..

So, I'm still confused. Will Leaf and Sinar and D.S.M. all provide sales of lenses and accessories for the Hy6? Are firmware upgrades to the Hy6 universal or specific to brand? Who services what?

I guess time will tell. Anyone know yet?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144259\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

TechTalk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:17:05 am »

Dear TechTalk,

I can tell you that Sinar will sell the Sinar branded Hy6 in the USA, through its official distributor, together with all lenses and accessories.

Service and support are of course also included in this service, as well as firmware updates, like for any "normal" product.

Best regards,
Thierry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144320\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry,

I have every confidence that Sinar will provide excellent support and service for the Sinar Hy6. What I've noticed, however, is that there is little or no mention of lenses or accessories on either Sinar or Leaf web-sites. Any information on distribution of Rollei branded products is very hard to find as well.

Thanks for your response and best wishes to you.

thsinar

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 04:46:21 am »

I believe this information shall be available as soon as the camera is ready to ship.

best regards,
Thierry

Thierry,

I have every confidence that Sinar will provide excellent support and service for the Sinar Hy6. What I've noticed, however, is that there is little or no mention of lenses or accessories on either Sinar or Leaf web-sites. Any information on distribution of Rollei branded products is very hard to find as well.

Thanks for your response and best wishes to you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

pss

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 04:22:29 pm »

this is just amazing...i am pretty sure there has never been a camera that has been announced with so much confusion....just do a search on this forum....and misinformation.....
afaik sinar was supposed to be the sole distributer for rollei in the US! and now this! i really ownder who makes the desicions with whatever company owns/builds/...the Hy6....thierry comes here and tells us that there will not be a rolleiflex Hy6 sold in the US, because i am sure that is what sinar was told by F&H and here it is before sinar can put it on the market!

anyway...i think we all knew that phase would at some point get thier backs on the Hy6, but like someone else pointed out here: firmware updates? service?(i am sure that onick with rollei/hensel in NJ is getting training on it as we speak, so i am not worried) warranty? distribution?
this fits just in with the rest of the great rollei history of great marketing fiaskos....

and yes i can't wait to get my hands on one....because it will be the best camera...

ps: did anyone bother to check out the ridiculous pricelist on the website...the lenses are even more then on the sinar pricelist....most of which can be had quite a bit cheaper from "old" rollei dealers...crazyness!

josayeruk

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:58:31 pm »

I'm confused!

Is Franke & H then ignoring Jenoptik by selling through DSM in the US or is it something that Jenoptik endorse?

If not then this will only worsen relationship between the companies.  Is that not potenitally disasterous for the Hy6 project?

From DSM...

'Direct Source Marketing, www.dsmww.com the U.S distributor for medium and large format Horseman and Rolleiflex professional cameras and Rodenstock filters, will be the sole source for the new camera and all Rollei products in the U.S. ranging from prisms, lenses and monorail systems. The products are available at leading retailers.'

Sole source?  No mention of Sinar or Leaf?

I don't geddit.    

Jo S.x

Graham Mitchell

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 05:28:20 pm »

Sole source?  No mention of Sinar or Leaf?

Why would a Rolleiflex dealer mention Sinar or Leaf? I don't get it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 05:29:43 pm by foto-z »

Mark_Tucker

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 06:27:12 pm »

Why would a Rolleiflex dealer mention Sinar or Leaf? I don't get it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144445\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No offense, but as great as this camera might be, this is the exact reason why I'd never come close to considering it for a tool that I make money with. Here we are, two weeks or so from when it's supposedly unveiled, and they don't even know how to communicate with the public on who is going to sell it.

Imagine it going down. Imagine needing a part for a job. Berlin's gotta call Switzerland, who's gotta turn around and call another country. And there you are, holding a camera that doesn't work, and your job is in three days.

These guys seem to be great engineers, but exceedingly poor SELLERS of cameras. As if, the only thing that mattered was designing it and manufacturing the first one, and then the thrill is over.

Again, this seems like The Ultimate Dentist Camera -- if it goes down on a Sunday morning, when the guy is going to take a leisurely walk thru the countryside and "snap some snaps", then, well, what a shame. But nothing is really lost, because he goes back to being a dentist tomorrow morning, and he still gets paid.

No thanks. If it's this confusing right out of the gate, wait til the real problems begin, when real photographers, (real customers), start demanding answers on delivery.

No, no thanks at all. This camera's marketing makes Phase One seem like true marketing geniuses.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:28:58 pm by Mark_Tucker »

Graham Mitchell

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 06:47:55 pm »

Mark,  isn't it clear that the Sinar Hy6 will be available through the existing Sinar network? And the Leaf AFi through the Leaf network? etc. How is that any different to buying another brand through another network?

thsinar

Rolleiflex Hy6
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:27:13 pm »

Dear Mark,

no offense too, and with all due respect, I think you cannot just bash on a product and company, being it Sinar or F&H or else. Berlin is gonna call nobody, nor is Sinar goona call another country. We are mature companies and people who might not always have all right, but we know what we are doing, in opposition to your suggestion.

Let things come and judge then.

Thanks for your understanding,
Thierry

No offense, but as great as this camera might be, this is the exact reason why I'd never come close to considering it for a tool that I make money with. Here we are, two weeks or so from when it's supposedly unveiled, and they don't even know how to communicate with the public on who is going to sell it.

Imagine it going down. Imagine needing a part for a job. Berlin's gotta call Switzerland, who's gotta turn around and call another country. And there you are, holding a camera that doesn't work, and your job is in three days.

These guys seem to be great engineers, but exceedingly poor SELLERS of cameras. As if, the only thing that mattered was designing it and manufacturing the first one, and then the thrill is over.

Again, this seems like The Ultimate Dentist Camera -- if it goes down on a Sunday morning, when the guy is going to take a leisurely walk thru the countryside and "snap some snaps", then, well, what a shame. But nothing is really lost, because he goes back to being a dentist tomorrow morning, and he still gets paid.

No thanks. If it's this confusing right out of the gate, wait til the real problems begin, when real photographers, (real customers), start demanding answers on delivery.

No, no thanks at all. This camera's marketing makes Phase One seem like true marketing geniuses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up