Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have to move my HP Z3100ps GP  (Read 2448 times)

peteh

• http://
Have to move my HP Z3100ps GP
« on: October 03, 2007, 08:00:20 pm »

Hi.Looks like I have to move out of my home.I might have to put my new HP Z3100ps GP in storage for a little while. How should I go about moving my printer?
I still have the orignal 69 ml ink cartriges in it and it has hardly had more than 5 prints made with it. I was going to take it off the stand and move it in the back of my pickup,as carefully as possible . Will moving it cause any problems as it could sit in storage for up to 3 months.I was wondering if moving it will cause the printheads to go out of alignment or anything else. Has anyone had to do this yet.
I will try to be very gentle moving the printer.
Thank You  

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:01 pm »

Hi.Looks like I have to move out of my home.I might have to put my new HP Z3100ps GP in storage for a little while. How should I go about moving my printer?
I still have the orignal 69 ml ink cartriges in it and it has hardly had more than 5 prints made with it. I was going to take it off the stand and move it in the back of my pickup,as carefully as possible . Will moving it cause any problems as it could sit in storage for up to 3 months.I was wondering if moving it will cause the printheads to go out of alignment or anything else. Has anyone had to do this yet.
I will try to be very gentle moving the printer.
Thank You 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143696\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hmmmm.... I've not had to do this but I think the most important task would be to keep it level and be gentle.  Otherwise you may have to remove the ink carts and drain the machine of ink.
Regards,
Ron

peteh

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:16:19 am »

Hmmmm.... I've not had to do this but I think the most important task would be to keep it level and be gentle.  Otherwise you may have to remove the ink carts and drain the machine of ink.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
How do you drain the printer of ink? Do you run prints through it till it runs dry? Seems like a waste of expensive ink to me.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:17:55 am »

How do you drain the printer of ink? Do you run prints through it till it runs dry? Seems like a waste of expensive ink to me.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With no replacement fluid to keep the ink lines etc from drying in I would never drain the printer for that period. I think you should ask HP what the best method will be.

If that isn't answered keep the printer in the condition as it is right now. Print your favorite reference image on the paper you know best. Archive that print. Print some sheets with an image that will use all the ink colors. Shut the printer off on the panel. Take the cables off. I can't remember whether there's a clamp to keep the head fixed in transport but that will be written in the manual. Dampen any car/road vibrations to the printer with foam, blankets etc. Make sure that the environment isn't super dry (freezing cold etc) as that may harm the electronics in movement (static electricity) and promote ink drying. Freezing temperatures itself most likely do no harm to the ink and parts as there's enough anti-freeze glycols in the ink. Plastic can be brittle in the cold. Let the printer return to room conditions (temperature, humidity) when it is placed again. Take the clamp away if there is one. Then shake the installed carts thoroughly, connect the printer and start it up. Consider the ink in the lines as not color correct as pigment settlement may have happened. Print some sheets with an image that will use all the ink colors. Calibrate the paper you know best, use the old profile you still have. Print that favorite reference image and decide whether you still like it.
If some heads need to be cleaned manually clean them all. There have been some instructions on this list and there is information in the manual. If a head fails replace it and I think in that case a new cart for that failed color line may be wise too. Calibrate the same paper again then and print that reference image again. Only if you are sure you are back to normal calibrate the other papers too.

I actually expect there will be hardly a problem.

No experience with transporting an HP but that's what I can think off backed with some Epson transport experience.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:54:29 pm »

As Ernst said , protect against freezing or drying out of the ink lines. I would make sure the cable between the paper sensor and computer board are out of dangers way. I would stick the original orange plastic thingy in the carriage path to prevent the head from moving and or uncapping the heads.

All in all HP move a lot of their demo printers and other than the paper sensor wire being exposed, the show no signs of road ware or is that wear.

peteh

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:30:03 pm »

With no replacement fluid to keep the ink lines etc from drying in I would never drain the printer for that period. I think you should ask HP what the best method will be.

If that isn't answered keep the printer in the condition as it is right now. Print your favorite reference image on the paper you know best. Archive that print. Print some sheets with an image that will use all the ink colors. Shut the printer off on the panel. Take the cables off. I can't remember whether there's a clamp to keep the head fixed in transport but that will be written in the manual. Dampen any car/road vibrations to the printer with foam, blankets etc. Make sure that the environment isn't super dry (freezing cold etc) as that may harm the electronics in movement (static electricity) and promote ink drying. Freezing temperatures itself most likely do no harm to the ink and parts as there's enough anti-freeze glycols in the ink. Plastic can be brittle in the cold. Let the printer return to room conditions (temperature, humidity) when it is placed again. Take the clamp away if there is one. Then shake the installed carts thoroughly, connect the printer and start it up. Consider the ink in the lines as not color correct as pigment settlement may have happened. Print some sheets with an image that will use all the ink colors. Calibrate the paper you know best, use the old profile you still have. Print that favorite reference image and decide whether you still like it.
If some heads need to be cleaned manually clean them all. There have been some instructions on this list and there is information in the manual. If a head fails replace it and I think in that case a new cart for that failed color line may be wise too. Calibrate the same paper again then and print that reference image again. Only if you are sure you are back to normal calibrate the other papers too.

I actually expect there will be hardly a problem.

No experience with transporting an HP but that's what I can think off backed with some Epson transport experience.
Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143762\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think your idea sounds best. It would be on a covered storage shed and I live in Northern California, it rarely freezes hard here in the winter,so I don't worry too much about that. I'm 50 miles north of San Fransico. I think I will call HP tech and see what they say. Thank you guys VERY much for the input !
Pages: [1]   Go Up