Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RawShooter won't read my 40D files  (Read 5180 times)

Victor Meldrew

RawShooter won't read my 40D files
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:43:59 pm »

There I was, excited at the thought of owning the new Canon 40D, my first upgrade since I bought my trusty 20D. Wha-hey 10 megapixels here we come  

Now the camera is great but I hadn't really thought through the implications with the software. I've been using RawShooter Essentials since it first appeared. It's a wonderful product and I can't believe it was absolutely free. So imagine my horror when I offered it the first files from my 40D and it wouldn't touch them. Sure, I've got Canon's DPP software that comes with the camera but I really trust RSE and know what adjustments work for me.

What's a guy to do? Is there any way I can fool RSE into accepting the files? Is it just complaining at the unknown camera model that is written into the EXIF data or is it the 10MP size that's throwing it? And lastly - is buying Lightroom my only alternative if I want to still use the Pixmantec engine?  

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:08:36 pm »

Unless RawShooter is still being updated, you're screwed. Even if you trick it into opening the file with some kind of EXIF hack, the odds of getting decent color are slim. You need to think of RAW software as part of the cost of the camera.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:22:20 pm »

Plus there is that whole 12 vs 14 bit thing.

You probably want to start auditioning new raw converters.

julian_love

• www.julianlove.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:15:50 pm »

If you get LR you will not be using the Pixmantec engine. You will be using Adobe Camera Raw with a few Pixmantec tweaks such as Vibrance.

As a former Rawshooter user, I have been happy with LR...but you can't beat RS for speed and ease of use.

Julian

thomas517

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:35:22 pm »

If you get LR you will not be using the Pixmantec engine. You will be using Adobe Camera Raw with a few Pixmantec tweaks such as Vibrance.

As a former Rawshooter user, I have been happy with LR...but you can't beat RS for speed and ease of use.

Julian
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Julian ,you also might want to look at this:

[a href=\"http://www.bibblelabs.com/]http://www.bibblelabs.com/[/url]

I believe they have a 30 day trial version
Thomas
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:44:15 pm by thomas517 »

Victor Meldrew

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 07:17:45 pm »

Unless RawShooter is still being updated, you're screwed. Even if you trick it into opening the file with some kind of EXIF hack, the odds of getting decent color are slim. You need to think of RAW software as part of the cost of the camera.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have now  got RSE to work with my 40D raw files by first converting them to DNG files (using Adobe's free converter) and then using a free hex editor (from Cygnus) to change "30D" to "40D" in the RSE .exe program.

Took me a while to get there but at least I now have the option.

sniper

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 07:56:53 am »

I have to say I think Adobe buying Raw shooter was a bad thing, now it's no longer supported (like all the older adobe products) forcing people to buy new all the time.  One reason I'm cautious about .DNG I wonder how long that will be supported ? (theres a new version coming out soon I hear) ony time will tell.  Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up