Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highlighted image in filmstrip  (Read 2745 times)

seamus finn

Highlighted image in filmstrip
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:46 am »

Open Library, select an image on the film strip,  than highlight all. Do you find it difficult to see the image you originally selected - say for copy/paste or synchronisation purposes? Is there any way to make the original selection more prominent - say a different coloured border or something easily distinguisable from the rest?

ranjans

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:16:58 pm »

I also would like to have a better way to know which image was selected.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:14:55 am »

I've been confused by this at times too. But then LR is so crappy in so many other ways I cannot be bothered to use it. A shame as it could be very good.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 08:15:12 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

DarkPenguin

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:38:41 pm »

I take it this means there is no way to change it.  Would be nice.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:01:16 am »

Open Library, select an image on the film strip,  than highlight all. Do you find it difficult to see the image you originally selected - say for copy/paste or synchronisation purposes? Is there any way to make the original selection more prominent - say a different coloured border or something easily distinguisable from the rest?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This can be improved, for sure, but to address your original issue here ... I don't see how this would help you with your copy/paste/sync task.

Usually the setup is that you have an image that you've already edited to your liking, and you want to copy some subset of the settings to some other images. Lots of ways to do this, without relying on being able to visually distinguish which image you've selected.

Example 1: Click on the source image in the film strip. Do ctrl-shift-c. Check the options you want to copy. Do ctrl-a, followed by ctrl-v. Done.

Example 2: Do ctrl-a. Find the source image in the film strip and click on it. Do ctrl-shift-s. Check the options you want to sync. Done.

Quick and easy either way ...
Eric Chan

ranjans

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:29:26 am »

Example 2: Do ctrl-a. Find the source image in the film strip and click on it. Do ctrl-shift-s. Check the options you want to sync. Done.
Quick and easy either way ...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

At times you don't want to apply settings to all bcoz they may have been shot in varied light, under or over or it maybe that you have some set of shots only to be selected, thats when I find its quite confusing & for a moment you get lost as to which ones are selected.

seamus finn

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 09:45:27 am »

My point is very straightforward, maybe even eccentric in some people's opinion - I would just like easily to be able to distinguish the image I have selected, period, without having to squint at the filmstrip to make sure. That's all.
The control c/v etc method is a good tip for those who don't know about it.
However, in your example 2, where all the images are already selected, it's not quite as easy as you suggest to readily see the source image - at least to my ageing eyes.  Where an image is going to be the source of across-the board significant changes to many images, that bestows a very important status on the source image and as such it should stick out like a sore thumb as a matter of good working practice.:   A change of border colour or something like that would be nice. As things stand, the difference between a selected image and a source image in terms of differentiation is definitely not striking enough by any standards. Simple as that.
Cheers

Incidentally,  because I hadn't done so before, I tried your methods as outlined above - and they didn't work for me.
Interesting.
I usually use the copy/paste buttons on at the bottom of left panel in Develop mode or the sync facility. Since reading your tips above, I've tried several times and still can't get it to work.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:25:24 pm by seamus finn »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:47:38 am »

Hi Seamus, we're in complete agreement that it should be a simple matter for the LR folks to make the selected image stand out more.

But to revisit your described scenario, even if you can't tell easily which one is currently selected, I feel that your real goal here is to know which image is acting as the "source" from which all the settings will be copied. So, if you want a specific image to become the source image, just click directly on that image in the film strip. Therefore, regardless of what was selected previously, the image that you just clicked on will become the source image, and hence now you know exactly which one is the source!

I'm at a loss to explain why the methods I explained earlier involving the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work on your machine. Very strange!  
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up