Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Killing birds with glue?????  (Read 5473 times)

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
Killing birds with glue?????
« on: October 03, 2007, 06:31:28 am »

Hi All

I hope this is not against LL rules but the subject is of importance IMO  

Please see this petition site and info about a risk to migratory & other bird species in Spain

http://www.gepec.org/barraca-i-filat/index_eng.html

It seems so wrong to use such methods for sport/food/pest control ~ whatever the core reason to trap/kill birds, this surely is not the way to do it

A collection of mine here http://500px.c

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:23:46 am »

Thank you.

I signed.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 12:54:59 pm »

Hi All

I hope this is not against LL rules but the subject is of importance IMO   

Please see this petition site and info about a risk to migratory & other bird species in Spain

http://www.gepec.org/barraca-i-filat/index_eng.html

It seems so wrong to use such methods for sport/food/pest control ~ whatever the core reason to trap/kill birds, this surely is not the way to do it

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of importance? [a href=\"http://www.savedarfur.org/]This[/url] is of importance.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 02:41:31 pm »

Of importance? This is of importance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143617\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi feppe

I would not dispute the importance of the savage inhumanity of man to his fellow man that you link to & I will be reading the info on that site.

By comparison the fate of a few birds (complete species group?) pales into insignificance but sadly petitions that affect small government changes are somewhat easier maybe than trying to influence the world leadership changes that are needed to make an impact for change in places like Darfur.  Zimbabwe is another example of such inertia and lack of comitment by the governments that could influence change for the better & the current state of affairs in Burma is yet another.............!
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

feppe

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:50:31 pm »

Hi feppe

I would not dispute the importance of the savage inhumanity of man to his fellow man that you link to & I will be reading the info on that site.

By comparison the fate of a few birds (complete species group?) pales into insignificance but sadly petitions that affect small government changes are somewhat easier maybe than trying to influence the world leadership changes that are needed to make an impact for change in places like Darfur.  Zimbabwe is another example of such inertia and lack of comitment by the governments that could influence change for the better & the current state of affairs in Burma is yet another.............!
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, my point was mainly that there are just so many hours in the day, so prioritizing charity is important. [a href=\"http://www.copenhagenconsensus.com/]Here's[/url] a good place to start based on a rigorous economic analysis. Birds or pandas or koalas or whatever is the current cuddly critter in vogue these days are not on that list, as there are many much more important issues. And more importantly, issues where we can get higher return on (time or money) invested.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 12:05:02 pm »

feppe

Never forget, there is also the school of thought which posits that the sooner totally destructive animals such as man are eliminated from the planet, the sooner it will have a chance of getting back to the pleasant green place it once, presumably, was.

I agree with this thought almost totally, but I do have a reservation: how do I manage to save myself and my loved ones before the end? (No, I don´t have that kind of reservation, neither have I the firepower to keep it if I had it.)

Rob C

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:34:26 pm »

We do what we can when we can.  Holier than thou has its limitations.

Bird populations, or lack thereof, affects some photographers' and guides' families' livelihoods.

Species extinction is forever.  Extincting species is a legacy stolen from your children and their children and so on.

Ecosystems are complex.  I don't claim to know what effects the decline or extinction of a species may have on multiple ecosystems, so I'd rather somebody didn't try the uncontrolled experiment.

feppe

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:11:34 pm »

feppe

Never forget, there is also the school of thought which posits that the sooner totally destructive animals such as man are eliminated from the planet, the sooner it will have a chance of getting back to the pleasant green place it once, presumably, was.

I agree with this thought almost totally, but I do have a reservation: how do I manage to save myself and my loved ones before the end? (No, I don´t have that kind of reservation, neither have I the firepower to keep it if I had it.)

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144035\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And there's another school of thought, which states that the only purpose of a species is to spread their DNA as far and wide as possible. It's called evolution, without which you wouldn't be around to dwell in your misanthropic angst.

I mean, seriously.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 02:39:56 pm »

And there's another school of thought, which states that the only purpose of a species is to spread their DNA as far and wide as possible. It's called evolution, without which you wouldn't be around to dwell in your misanthropic angst.

I mean, seriously.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144059\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That´s a pretty sad single purpose! Glad I´ve got two, then...

Rob C

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 12:47:42 pm »

While I'd never suggest one didn't sign against these atrocities, I think the main problem, human, is often overlooked. We are always concerned with 'me' and 'mine'. We are brought up violent and look upon this as natural. No matter if the violence is physical, verbal, or psychological, we live it without much introspection. In fact, around the world, I'd say we're taught what to think and not how.

If you look you can see, every single day, the universal disease called politics. People are killed every day for an idea/ideology. Living this way, as we have been, only brings suffering. People continue to put their 'faith' in other people. I feel when these people have anything to do with politics and government one fights an uphill battle. By design politics is corrupt, violent, self-serving. It is a reflection of the individual. We are society, society is us. No?

The 'crisis' isn't the hunters of birds or the mass murder in Darfur. The 'crisis' is me and you. Perhaps Man will come to understand that a little 'self knowledge' is of the first order and everything else comes after. I feel without that we spin our wheels and the horror stories grow and spin.

I've heard the slogans about if we forget the past we're doomed to repeat it. It's a lot of nonsense like so much other human thought.

Comparing one horror to another, who is to say which has more 'relevance'? Is human life really of more value than a birds life? What is informing that decision?

I feel until we have some sort of respect for ourselves and nature that none of these atrocities will stop. And isn't that, afterall, the point of the campaigns against these 'evils'? But without a much deeper understanding of ourselves I fear we have no chance.

One thing, for myself, I no longer have any hopes that politicians, politics, and the corrupt governments that they organize and rule have any interest in seeing 'things' get better.

Ok. Stepping from soapbox in my little part of the world. Thanks Box Brownie and Feppe.

What does this have to do with photography? Perhaps one day we'll see the need for war photographers disappear. Wouldn't that be good? And man, I do applaud all those photographers with the cojones to document the poverty, the disease, the war, the daily tragedy that is our life. We see it but are helpless living as we do now.

Kind regards...

M

Here ya' go, a smilie, just to lighten things up a bit...

Pages: [1]   Go Up