Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 to produce small prints for commercial use  (Read 2110 times)

klocke

Z3100 to produce small prints for commercial use
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:13:45 pm »

Dear Z3100 Users,

I am wondering if the Z3100 can be used to produce small prints starting at
4x6 (10x15com) or 5x7(13x18cm). Leaving curling and cutting issues aside, not considering that a minlab is a much easier solution, would these small prints be satisfying print products to purchase, not disappointing at the expected close viewing distance?

I am a little suspicious of the HP dot patterns and what is not important at all for larger prints might well be an issue with such small prints.

thanks, Stefan

Harry Carpenter

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:37:11 pm »

Hi Stefan. I use a Z3100 for art reproduction and all of my photographic work.
I love the quality of the final print even at 7x5 or smaller.
I use Kodak Lustre paper and the finish is superb.
People in general are used to seeing glossy photographic prints or those crap photo lustre types.
I have used a minilab and hand printed in a darkroom for years and I very much prefer the end product I am getting with the HP, with no visible evidence of a dot pattern anywhere, even looking hard for it.

Not scientific, but it is ultimatlely the image quality that counts and the Z3100 has that nailed.
Hope this helps.  
By the way, economy seems to be incredible.

namartinnz

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:07:14 pm »

Hi Stefan

I back up what Harry says. I had to do a print run of 300 photos of restored images. I did the B&W on my machine and uploaded the coloured ones to an online printing service.  Choosing matt finish for the online photos they came out the same finish as my machine using Epson Premium Luster. However, the Z3100 can do superior B&Ws and the colour is slightly better using the Z. As for price, the online prints were at least half the price of costing me to print them. So for any non critical large print runs I would consider online otherwise definitely the Z if pricing isn't an issue.

Neal

klocke

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 05:10:02 pm »

Harry and Neal,

that is good news.
>I love the quality of the final print even at 7x5 or smaller.

Even so I am sick of cutting smaller images, it prefer to be in control, if the product is good. The GE seems to me a big plus, especially for small prints where any gloss differential is quickly spotted. Not to mention the extra print protection.

Stefan
Pages: [1]   Go Up