Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 power off-on for each use  (Read 3577 times)

klocke

Z3100 power off-on for each use
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:47:23 pm »

A question to the Z3100 owners.

I understand that HP recommends to keep the Z3100 printer running all the time (with self maintenance as the main advantage)
Since I intend to use the printer on a irrregular basis, I am wondering what happens if I power the printer on for each use period (1day to several) and off after the work is done.

Are there any of you that operate the printer in this fashion? I did this with my HP Designjet 30 and I could not really complain about anything. ( It could even see several on off per day). Am I likely to damage the printer? I would accept (and expect) that this will possibly shorten the live of the print head.

Any other commends?

Thanks Stefan

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:28:39 pm »

A question to the Z3100 owners.

I understand that HP recommends to keep the Z3100 printer running all the time (with self maintenance as the main advantage)
Since I intend to use the printer on a irrregular basis, I am wondering what happens if I power the printer on for each use period (1day to several) and off after the work is done.

Are there any of you that operate the printer in this fashion? I did this with my HP Designjet 30 and I could not really complain about anything. ( It could even see several on off per day). Am I likely to damage the printer? I would accept (and expect) that this will possibly shorten the live of the print head.

Any other commends?

Thanks Stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143221\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

An interesting thing about the Z3100 is that it performs maintenance according to it's own schedule, which is why they recommend keeping it plugged in.  Given the potential for clogging I think this new feature they've added to prevent clogging is worth the trouble/expense of keeping it plugged in and powered on.  I have it plugged directly into a heavy duty APS UPS and I am happy with the peace of mind from this new feature.  I can't answer your question directly in regards to "what happens", but I'm not sure I'd want to know.

Best,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:29:17 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Harry Carpenter

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:40:03 pm »

I use mine irregularly and just leave it turned off in between. This could be days or weeks. I have had no blockages or errors at all from doing this so far, so I would say you should be okay.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 10:00:10 pm »

The Z3100 is basically a computer, including a hard disc, that happens to spray ink on paper. When you turn it on, it slowly "boots up", complete with creeping progress bar. My primitive reptile brain thinks that spinning up that hard disc from dead stop has to add more miles to the odometer than leaving it on. Plus it's nice just to hit the "print" button and go.
But I could be wrong.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:14:00 am »

I turn mine off when I know for sure I won't be printing. I don't understand why they couldn't have put a deep sleep in there as today's energy problems really need it. The new Epson 11880 is Energy star compliant or maybe I'm confusing with the Canon. There will be the long boot up time , a more aggressive nozzle check and cap but otherwise it is okay. It does remove the guarantee of the best continuous writing system check in the industry though...

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 02:55:32 am »

The new Epson 11880 is Energy star compliant or maybe I'm confusing with the Canon.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The z3100 is Energy Star compliant as well (according to the printer guide book).

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:38:57 am »

Yes actually even the 130 is in the list of Energystar printers. http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship...=reg_R1002_USEN , yet 30 watts minimum consumption at dead idle should be more like the others 9180 , etc at 4-6 watts, just enough for the LED and logic board comm port. So I'll write off Energystar as anything meaningful. Idle should be idle without fans blowing away . If it is a question of keeping the system ready for printing a deep sleep is the only answer even if it required a stabilization time of warm up and system checks.

I just looked, Joe says the 11880 uses 0.5 watts at idle/sleep. The 9800 uses 1 watt.

iCrop

• http://
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:40:12 am »

When I first got mine, I would turn it off between print jobs.  Then the Light Magenta-Light Cyan printhead failed.  I don’t know if the failure was due to turning off the printer, and thus not allowing it to maintain itself, or not, but in case that was the problem, I haven’t turned it off since.

Mike

Roscolo

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 12:11:09 pm »

HP recommends you leave it on. That means, "leave it on." 30watts of power is insignificant compared to the risk / expense of problems. Why chance it over a few cents per month?

klocke

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 05:04:18 pm »

Thank you all for the feedback,

Roscolo and Mark: I know what HP recommends, however the fan running all the time is not an option for the intended placement. If I can not find a workable solution, then I might have to drop the Z3100 from my list. However it is more complex then fan yes/no. The build in maintenance is a blessing.

iCrop: It is just this kind of  head failure that I would assume will happen more frequently. Still, fear and doubt are not such good advisors and I appreciate your experience report.

Neil: I share your thougths regarding energy savings, it was already very bad with the Designjet 30.  
I wonder how likely they will/can add a real sleep mode, (very unlikely I think myself). For the rest I would be inclined to operate the printer like you do.

Harry Carpenter: This of course the positive news I like to read, it is like my old Designjet 30.

Stefan

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 11:26:36 am »

The z3100 is in my attic bedroom/studio and as it's getting to be the cold time of year the windows are closing more often and the fans are off more frequently.  Since it's at the other end of a 24' long room from the bed, and there are obstacles between, the fan isn't audible.  (I also keep the machine under a tarp to keep dust out between uses.)  However, the 6 hour timer for the ink agitation cycle took several months to get used to.  We sleep right through it now.  (It's a series of clunks and motor actuations and a few droplets of ink sprayed out to keep the nozzles fresh.)

It's a non-issue for us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up