Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B9180 Advice  (Read 2675 times)

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
HP B9180 Advice
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:18 pm »

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing an HP B9180 to do my own printing up to A3+.

I'm interested in hearing people's views on the printer, particularly compared to the R1800 or R2400, although the reviews I can find all seem to be positive.

I'm also interested in any thoughts on papers that works particularly well with this printer (or indeed those that don't!).

Thanks for any tips,

caddy

HP B9180 Advice
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:11:03 pm »

the reviews I can find all seem to be positive.

Not so positive: http://www.cliffaddy.com/b9180.html

Cliff

chilehead

HP B9180 Advice
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:35:47 am »

Positives:  Print quality compares well with other printers in its class.  Very large gamut.  Easy to get a good print-to-screen match with the HP papers.  Very long print life according to Wilhelm research.  Fairly frugal with ink, even with the regular "self-testing" cycles.  Cheap extended warranty from HP.  

Negatives:  See Cliff's review regarding wheel marks and paper banding.  I'll add that for me, the wheel marks have only been a disappointment on the glossy paper.  The bronzing and gloss differential are so bad on the HP glossy though, that I don't use it anyway.  I've not had as much trouble with banding.  It is just a once-in-a-while kind of thing; usually at the end of a very large, expensive sheet of paper!  Ok, so I'm kidding on that (sort of).

Other gripes:  The printer was released almost a year ago, but HP has only just recently provided driver updates.  Unfortunately, my attempts to install many of these updates result in a "not intended for this printer" error message!  HP has also updated the on-board software since the printer's release, but HP has never offered an update for us "early adopters" so I am stuck with minor, but annoying problems like a printer that often locks up when I open the media door.  (Workaround is to hit the "OK" button first--wakey, wakey Mr. printer--sheesh!)

Papers:  For me, image quality is the most important factor in choosing a paper (or printer).  That said, the best paper for me so far has been the HP Advanced Satin. (I print mainly in color.)  I don't care much for the "feel" of it, but you don't feel prints hanging on a wall.  Color and tonal range is very good with this paper.  It is also a good match for the HP Advanced Glossy which I buy cheap locally, then use as a proofing paper.  I've tried a variety of matte papers, but a big drawback of many is that the feed/hold-down mechanism of this printer causes abrasion of the surface.  Perhaps there is a fix for this that I've not found.

I hear the HP Professional Satin paper is also good, but I've not tried it.

Mark

John77

• Zenfolio
HP B9180 Advice
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:57 pm »

Hello,

I have this printer since two months and I am really satisfied with it. I am an amateur but at least, I have seen Epson 3800 prints from a friend and ones coming from my B9180 are up to my amateur expectation.
Positives:  Print quality compares well with other printers in its class.  Very large gamut.  Easy to get a good print-to-screen match with the HP papers.  Very long print life according to Wilhelm research.  Fairly frugal with ink, even with the regular "self-testing" cycles.  Cheap extended warranty from HP. 
I agree each points.
Negatives:  See Cliff's review regarding wheel marks and paper banding.  I'll add that for me, the wheel marks have only been a disappointment on the glossy paper.  The bronzing and gloss differential are so bad on the HP glossy though, that I don't use it anyway.  I've not had as much trouble with banding.  It is just a once-in-a-while kind of thing; usually at the end of a very large, expensive sheet of paper!  Ok, so I'm kidding on that (sort of).
Here, I will disagree with Cliff's review. At least, I do not have encounter these problems. No wheel marks on glossy. I have to say that I almost don't use the paper tray. I use mainly the special tray. It is really easy and maybe it's that why I don't have wheel marks. No banding.

About gloss differential, it is true, you can see it on glossy media. It is a bit more than what I saw with Epson K3. But it is no more you can see in magazine or books that use the same paper type. I does not appear under common viewing angle.
Papers:  For me, image quality is the most important factor in choosing a paper (or

I hear the HP Professional Satin paper is also good, but I've not tried it.
HP Pro Satin is my paper of choice. My last BW picture on this paper is stunning. Well maybe not the picture, but at least the print is  

If you don't bother with the HP marks on sheet's verso, HP Advanced Glossy and Satin are really great and cheap. I have tried Red River papers and there are great but as I live in Europe, it is pricey to get them.

HP Hahnemühle Smooth Fine Art gave me great results too.

I am still at begin but, right now, I think to use an HP set of paper (Adv Gloss, Pro Satin, Smooth Fine Art). Maybe less personal but with satisfaction guaranteed.

Hope this help.

John.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
HP B9180 Advice
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:26:34 pm »

On the 9180 I have seen enough reports of the first units problems. I even see enough reports of repeated problems , after the printer were exchanged. Every time I see a report of after a year my printer started doing this or that makes me nervous. Why? Well I never had a problem with any of the 9180s I had. The shipping version is running perfectly, but cross my fingers because of the previous sentence.
Would I have a R1800 over the 9180? Hmmm, it does do glossy printing a lot better. Yet B&W are not that good. Operating costs are high. The R2400? Very nice printer. It has everything it needs. Yet is more expensive for doing little more.
For B&W I love the 9180 on matte or some  fine art pearl types. For color it is very reliable and consistent making it a joy to print on knowing there are no surprises.
Pages: [1]   Go Up