Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problem printing from INDESIGN on 3800  (Read 2734 times)

Bruck

problem printing from INDESIGN on 3800
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:28:20 am »

I was using a canned profile to print from indesign CS3 onto an Ilford matte paper. It worked fine once. Then I was testing a bunch of other things. I tried to go back to using the same canned profile and now it seems to be dumping large amounts of cyan on the paper. The blues are waaayyy too dark and way overprinted. Something is wrong, but I don't think I changed any settings at all.

Does anyone have any experience printing with canned profiles through indesign? I need someone to quickly walk me through step by step to make sure I don't somehow have some box checked off somewhere...don't know how or why this is happening.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:29:21 am by Bruck »

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:29:24 pm »

I use InDesign regularly. and the only thing that I can suggest is for you to check and make sure that the settings under Edit/Color settings hasn't been changed. Also, if you didn't save the file after printing, then the settings would revert to the previous print. I've had consistency in my prints from InDesign CS3 and can only suggest that you check all of your settings.
Good luck,

DC
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:38:29 pm by dct123 »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »

It is all to easy to forget to hit "Printer..." from the InDesign print dialog and set everything for the driver.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Bruck

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:15:11 pm »

It is all to easy to forget to hit "Printer..." from the InDesign print dialog and set everything for the driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143287\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Haha. I hear that. But I have been troubleshooting this for twenty four hours now... I assure you the problem is not that simple. I installed CS3 fresh on my laptop, and it works from there now (although for some reason the print is not exactly the same as the original one that worked earlier, the colors are a little less vivid). But for the life of me I can not figure out what is wrong with Indesign on this comp. I really don't think any settings are different at all. I swear I did it right!

The printer is not managing colors, and the profile is set in Indesign. Hmmm...still thoroughly confused...

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 07:03:11 pm »

Was the profile created from a target printed with IDCS3? And on the platform your using? IDCS3 on a G5 prints different from IDCS3 on a Intel Mac. And both print different than PSCS3 or earlier platform. Don't know about Windows but I would not be surprised if Adobe screwed that up to.

Or maybe it is supposed to be that way, but anyway as long as you have a paper/printer profile for for the correct workflow you should not have a problem. I have made separate profiles for PSCS3 on both a G5 and MP and for IDCS3 for G5 and for MP. And they all now print the same.

Doyle

Bruck

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 03:30:56 pm »

The profile was just canned...downloaded from Ilford's website. I reinstalled CS3, and the printer drivers, and deleted and re-added the printer. Still printing with the same extra dark blue output from my G5. Don't know what else to try. I'm clueless.

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:08:24 am »

Bruck,
Take a look at my reply to the topic "epson 3800 heavyweight matte paper color issues."

You may have a hardware, not a software problem.  You describe the prints I had gotten from Photoshop CS3, or CS2 on my 3800 until I decided that the printer was laying down too much Cyan and Magenta ink, muddying the reds, blues and greens.  I think this may be how they are setting the current crop of 3800's (or else they are sending them out uncalibrated).  Try printing from the Epson driver instead, telling Photoshop or Indesign to "let printer manage color" after converting the image to the profile you've gotten for the paper.  Play with the "custom, advanced" settings in the Epson printer driver to reduce cyan and possibly magenta, and give it a little saturation boost to compensate.  I'm guessing that you will say you didn't know the printer could print that well.

Besides the method I mentioned in the above referenced reply, it may be possible to recalibrate your printer using ColorBase (available as a free download from the Epson UK site), provided you have access to an Eye-one spectrometer or know someone who does and who will help you out with the readings.  It will require reading calibration patches for each Epson paper type you use (use only Epson papers to calibrate the machine).  I haven't tried it yet, though, as my work-around seems to be doing just great.  It may not be the "pro" approach, but it works.  

It's a great printer when you figure it out and make the appropriate adjustments.

Good luck and Aloha,

Aaron
Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu
Pages: [1]   Go Up