Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inquiry: Will LL Review Nikon D3  (Read 4341 times)

James R

Inquiry: Will LL Review Nikon D3
« on: September 29, 2007, 11:05:14 pm »

Michael,

Will you be reviewing the Nikon D3?  I know you are a Canon guy, but, you're reviews always seem fair, at least to me.

Henry Goh

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 12:26:38 am »

Michael,

Will you be reviewing the Nikon D3?  I know you are a Canon guy, but, you're reviews always seem fair, at least to me.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142808\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If Nikon will provide a camera to Michael, I'm sure he'll oblige but I doubt he will rush out to buy a D3 just to review it.  Like you said, MR is a Canon guy.  Just MHO.

Andy M

• http://
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:46:21 am »

I'm a Canon shooter, but honestly believe that Nikon has finally pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat with the D3.

Finally Canon has some proper competition, and I've seen quite a few Canon shooters reassessing their kit (namely the 1D mk III users who have experienced focussing issues etc).

Nikon should be shouting from the roof tops about their new product, and should be using whatever outlets available to them to do this. LL should definitely be one of these outlets, and I for one would love to see a head-to-head between it and the new 1Ds mk III

Henry Goh

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:39:33 am »

I'm a Canon shooter, but honestly believe that Nikon has finally pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat with the D3.

Finally Canon has some proper competition, and I've seen quite a few Canon shooters reassessing their kit (namely the 1D mk III users who have experienced focussing issues etc).

Nikon should be shouting from the roof tops about their new product, and should be using whatever outlets available to them to do this. LL should definitely be one of these outlets, and I for one would love to see a head-to-head between it and the new 1Ds mk III
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If Michael does that review, I think LL will be swamped. DPR does "technical" stuff but for real use, I would trust Michael's word more than any other reviewers'.

Henry
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:39:51 am by Henry Goh »

AdrianL

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:52:14 pm »

If Michael does that review, I think LL will be swamped. DPR does "technical" stuff but for real use, I would trust Michael's word more than any other reviewers'.

Henry
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142864\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I second that

NikosR

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 12:52:18 am »

I would trust Michael's comments about image quality as I would trust the view of anybody who is experienced and has had the opportunity to use and judge the output of many different digital systems. The only caveat would be if Michael used ACR/Lightroom to process RAW images. I just don't trust the output of these processors for Nikon NEF files.

But I would not trust Michael's view about the operational characteristics. For this I would trust someone more experienced in using Nikon equipment.
Nikos

GregW

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 12:59:42 am »

As LR and ACR are not supporting D3 NEF's at this time I guess it's unlikely, but I get your point.  Although LR's my tool of choice for critical images I start with NX.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 02:24:48 am »

Reviews are mostly valuable for those pieces of equipment that are difficult/very expensive to rent: MFDB, high end printers, scanners,...

Honnestly, anyone living in a reaonnably civilized place will be able to rent a D3 for one day for a reasonnable amount of money (probably around 150 US$) and do in depth image quality test in the context of the relevant usage. That's what I would do if I hesitated about buying a D3.

Since I have zero doubts about the relevance of such a purchase, I'll personnally go straight to the shop.

Regards,
Bernard

James R

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 02:40:05 am »

Reviews are mostly valuable for those pieces of equipment that are difficult/very expensive to rent: MFDB, high end printers, scanners,...

Honnestly, anyone living in a reaonnably civilized place will be able to rent a D3 for one day for a reasonnable amount of money (probably around 150 US$) and do in depth image quality test in the context of the relevant usage. That's what I would do if I hesitated about buying a D3.

Since I have zero doubts about the relevance of such a purchase, I'll personnally go straight to the shop.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143316\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm on the D3 list at Samy's, but since I have a couple of months wait I would like to get as much info as possible.  The focusing problems Canon had with its Mark III's give me pause about being one of the first to have the D3.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:28 am »

I'm on the D3 list at Samy's, but since I have a couple of months wait I would like to get as much info as possible.  The focusing problems Canon had with its Mark III's give me pause about being one of the first to have the D3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand, but such issues would not have been identified by a simple review of the product like the one Michael could think of doing. This is not about him, this is about the possible scope of testing in a few days of usage.

Waiting after the release of a new product is the most reasonnable approach.

cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up