Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: highlight recovery of clouds show green tint  (Read 2340 times)

ranjans

highlight recovery of clouds show green tint
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:56:07 pm »

Cant understand why is this happening but when ever I have clouds in the image or extreme whites the highlight recovery option 30-70 value shows green tint. These files are DNG converted at time of import. Does this happen with you too?

Here you see few shots.

another one with info bar showing strips

Could this be something to do with display card.

I have nvidia driver running the display card 7600GT, tried with latest driver from nvidia.

Ian Lyons

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 02:55:20 pm »

Cant understand why is this happening but when ever I have clouds in the image or extreme whites the highlight recovery option 30-70 value shows green tint. These files are DNG converted at time of import. Does this happen with you too?

It can happen with Canon D60, 10D and 300D cameras, some being much more prone to it than others. The best way of ensuring that it doesn't happen is to set the camera to a higher ISO (i.e. 200 in the case of above cameras).

ranjans

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 10:38:01 pm »

It can happen with Canon D60, 10D and 300D cameras, some being much more prone to it than others. The best way of ensuring that it doesn't happen is to set the camera to a higher ISO (i.e. 200 in the case of above cameras).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142724\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Indeed these files are 10D shot, but I still don't understand why & how higher ISO will solve the problem. Is it some kind of color banding which these cameras were prone to. Can you point me to any discussion to similar problem.

Meanwhile I will try highlight recovery on shots with other camera than you mentioned.

John Sheehy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:09:21 am »

Cant understand why is this happening but when ever I have clouds in the image or extreme whites the highlight recovery option 30-70 value shows green tint. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It has nothing to do wit the display card.  Color cast like this in the highlights come from two sources; non-linear response near sensor saturation (or due to some camera electronics) or the RAW converter being mistaken about what the RAW clipping levels are.  ACR never seems to have gotten the 10D right.  As of version 3.7, it still leaves some artifacts in the 10D files that can very easily be avoided, like different RAW clipping points for different vertical lines, and unequal amplification of the odd and even horizontal lines.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:14:16 am by John Sheehy »

ranjans

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 12:24:09 am »

It has nothing to do wit the display card.  Color cast like this in the highlights come from two sources; non-linear response near sensor saturation (or due to some camera electronics) or the RAW converter being mistaken about what the RAW clipping levels are.  ACR never seems to have gotten the 10D right.  As of version 3.7, it still leaves some artifacts in the 10D files that can very easily be avoided, like different RAW clipping points for different vertical lines, and unequal amplification of the odd and even horizontal lines.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried with rawshooter the same file & it also does show this green cast, thought its lesser  than LR but it shows it.

I tried with a 5D file & that does not show this problem, so it seems to be certain camera specific.
Pages: [1]   Go Up