Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: England and Scotland in August?  (Read 8028 times)

nchopp

England and Scotland in August?
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:22:27 am »

A friend and I are planning a two week jaunt to England and Scotland for mid to late August of next year. I know that's towards the end of summer\beginning of autumn, but I'm having some trouble finding specifics about shooting locations. Been looking around online and really haven't found too much. Any input?

Andy M

• http://
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:40:34 pm »

Take a look here: http://www.stevecarter.com/sh.htm

Steve is an exceptionally nice guy, and I'm sure wouldn't mind answering a few questions should you e-mail him.

nchopp

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 09:55:28 am »

Thanks! His work is FANTASTIC, I'm really surprised I haven't seen it before. I shot him an e-mail.  

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 10:13:31 am »

You´ll find many Scotland pictures at my site (sorry for the shameless plug): fotografie Wim van Velzen.
I don't have a signature.

nchopp

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 11:22:07 am »

You´ll find many Scotland pictures at my site (sorry for the shameless plug): fotografie Wim van Velzen.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142906\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ohhh, I like.   Any tips\hints\secrets you care to pass along? I'm a complete nooblet when it comes to scenic photography in foreign locations.  

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:45:16 am »

Hi,

If you're doing England and Scotland then you really should spend some time in The Lake District - fabulous scenery in a compact area. It's in the north of England too, so realtively speaking it's close to Scotland.

There's some images at my site: Lake District Gallery

Happy to answer any questions.

Regards,
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:45:28 am by AndyS »

nchopp

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 02:38:52 pm »

Hi,

If you're doing England and Scotland then you really should spend some time in The Lake District - fabulous scenery in a compact area. It's in the north of England too, so realtively speaking it's close to Scotland.

There's some images at my site: Lake District Gallery

Happy to answer any questions.

Regards,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142919\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can honestly say I've gotten to see more quality photography in the last few hours than I have in a long time.   I see a lot of you work is with the 20D - what lenses do you find most useful for this type of work?

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 04:01:42 pm »

I see a lot of you work is with the 20D - what lenses do you find most useful for this type of work?

Most of my landscape images are probably taken with either the 17-85 EF-S or 10-22 EF-S. There's a few taken with a 70-300mm, but personally I dont use it a lot for my landscapes.

The 17-85 gets a lot of bad press sometimes, but it makes a great travel lens on a crop body. If I'm only taking one lens it's the one I normally choose. It can be a bit soft wide open, but for landscape work I'm normally stopped down in anycase. The IS is useful for museums and the like.

The 10-22mm is a great lens if you like wide-angles. The Sigma, Tamron and Tokina wide-angles would be good choices too.

If you're planning on a lot of landscape work on your trip, I'd really recommend buying some graduated filters before you go, either that or be prepared to take multiple exposures on a tripod and do some blending later on.

Cheers,

nchopp

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 06:32:55 pm »

Most of my landscape images are probably taken with either the 17-85 EF-S or 10-22 EF-S. There's a few taken with a 70-300mm, but personally I dont use it a lot for my landscapes.

The 17-85 gets a lot of bad press sometimes, but it makes a great travel lens on a crop body. If I'm only taking one lens it's the one I normally choose. It can be a bit soft wide open, but for landscape work I'm normally stopped down in anycase. The IS is useful for museums and the like.

The 10-22mm is a great lens if you like wide-angles. The Sigma, Tamron and Tokina wide-angles would be good choices too.

If you're planning on a lot of landscape work on your trip, I'd really recommend buying some graduated filters before you go, either that or be prepared to take multiple exposures on a tripod and do some blending later on.

Cheers,
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very nice. So the 17-85 is fairly sharp at wider apertures?

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:42:09 pm »

England and Scotland - this suggests you are looking for the bigger landscapes right?

In England you should look at:
Derbyshire Peak District - the Dark Peak is quite dramatic (big millstone grit edges like the mighty Stanage Edge - my favourite) whilst the White Peak is lovely limestone valleys, hills and rivers. It is busy in August given its still school summer holidays here. Places to be near are Bakewell, Buxton, Castleton, Edale.
Lake District - big hills (mountains!) and fantastic lakes. Lots of walking. Again very busy although as with the Peak District if you are taking photographs in the early morning all you will meet are other photographers or sheep.
Westmorland and along Hadrian's Wall - Carlisle to Newcastle.

In Scotland you are spoilt for choice but I would suggest you try the north west (Torridon, Wester Ross) and the islands - particularly Skye (for the Cuillin hills), Mull for wildlife and anything else for peace and quiet. My real favourite is the Ardnamurchan area (see www.ardnamurchan.com) but please don't tell too many people as its not yet too busy!

Have a look at www.trekearth.com for more ideas of some areas/regions in the UK.
Pete Truman

nchopp

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 05:53:21 pm »

Perfect Pete, thank you!

ChrisJR

• http://
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 09:48:36 am »

The Yorkshire Moors are extremely beautiful in the autumn, with heather everywhere. If you head towards Goathland, Whitby, Staithes Robin Hood's Bay (I can provide weblinks/photos if you wish), the views are spectacular in places and the people really nice. Also a note about the moors, most of the places are on or just slightly off a single road, so very easy to drive around.

A lot of the photography Joe Cornish (one of the very best landscape photographers in the UK... www.joecornish.com) does is from around these areas.

Hope this helps.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:21 am »

Places to be near are Bakewell, Buxton, Castleton, Edale.

Very strange to hear my old village mentioned on here. I lived in Castleton for several years, If you go there be sure to go to at least one of the four caverns which are quite expansive. There is also Pevril Castle which is quite small, Winnats Pass which is quite dramatic and Mam Tor, a mountain which shakes periodically and has a collapsed road running up it.

pete_truman

• http://www.ifootpath.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 06:04:57 pm »

I lived in Castleton for several years, If you go there be sure to go to at least one of the four caverns which are quite expansive. There is also Pevril Castle which is quite small, Winnats Pass which is quite dramatic and Mam Tor, a mountain which shakes periodically and has a collapsed road running up it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146100\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I took a walk from Castleton, up Mam Tor and along the Great Ridge to Lose Hill last week and then back through Castleton - a wonderful detour on my way home from work. Beautiful autumnal weather but a little hazy so photograph opportunities were poor.

Mam Tor and that ridge is a great place to be for sunrise. The views over to Derwent Edge, Win Hill are the stuff of dreams with a cold, misty autumn morning. Planning that for tomorrow morning!
Pete Truman

papa v2.0

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 06:43:02 pm »

hi im from inverness and haved lived there most of my life

i worked as a drum scanner operator and scanned all pics for the tourist guides for about five years.
i know most of the good spots in the highlands and places of interest etc

what sort of pics are you after.

scotland and particular the highlands offer a vast array of scapes to choose from

cheers iain

sniper

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 12:08:39 pm »

Be aware that August 25 2008 (monday) is August bank holiday here in the UK, this means a lot of shops will be shut (many open too) and hotels tend to get booked up (and are often more expensive then as well) that weekend.
Weather wise August is often a lovely month, usually warm with lots of sun, although UK weather can be... well lets say un-predictable at best.
If you get chance to get to Wales, check out the Gower and Penbroke coasts, and the Brecon beacons and Snowdonia national parks.  I'll gladly show you around  Wayne

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:35 am »

A friend and I are planning a two week jaunt to England and Scotland for mid to late August of next year. I know that's towards the end of summer\beginning of autumn, but I'm having some trouble finding specifics about shooting locations. Been looking around online and really haven't found too much. Any input?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Scotland is in my top three of most beautiful places on earth and I go there at least once a year. You got plenty of good advice about locations and you really are spoilt for choice.

As you will be there in August there is one extremely important piece of advice I have: beware of the midges! If they take a liking to your blood they can make your life hell (and you can forget about photography), unless you take some precautions. I usually go to the west coast of Scotland in the beginning of May, before the midges are out in any great numbers. As that may not be an option for you, the stuff I have found most effective is, surprisingly, not an insect repellant. I was told by some knowledgeable people that Avon's "SkinSoSoft" is what the SAS use when they are in Scotland. I followed their advice and not only did my skin become soft, the little buggers did not bite (they may sit on your skin, but the oily stuff makes it impossible for them to bite).

I just did a search for a link where to buy and I noticed that they now actually market the stuff as an insect repellant: [a href=\"http://www.amazon.com/Avon-IR3535-Fabulous-Sunscreen-Lotion/dp/B00097AKEK]Skin So Soft[/url]

I am sure you'll have a great time!

willow

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 11:21:09 pm »

I was told by some knowledgeable people that Avon's "SkinSoSoft" is what the SAS use when they are in Scotland. I followed their advice and not only did my skin become soft, the little buggers did not bite (they may sit on your skin, but the oily stuff makes it impossible for them to bite).

I just did a search for a link where to buy and I noticed that they now actually market the stuff as an insect repellant: Skin So Soft

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=151051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thats amazing! and its DEET free
Pages: [1]   Go Up