Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laser Tape Measure - Suggestions  (Read 13892 times)

Snook

Laser Tape Measure - Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 09:40:28 am »

I have often thought about using a laser pointer for help with focusing in Dark Locations...
Is this an absurd idea?
Has anybody ever tried it and which would be the best to get?
Thanks for any information,
Snook

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 01:56:09 pm »

It's not absurd, it is quite effective. Simply point the laser at the desired center of focus, and either focus manually or via AF. Any laser pointer will work, even the cheap $10 red ones. Just remember to turn off the laser before pressing the shutter release.

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 02:30:18 pm »

I'm even beginning to feel like I need one of these gizmo's!     
J
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143421\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool Jon!  Have you figured out what you are going to do with it yet?        

I do enjoy working with them when the GG is too awkward. Very fast for "street" type work with the Cambo.

Best,
Michael

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 07:46:38 am »

I leave the infinity-mark aligned with the f/16 mark most of the time. Only when the main subject if further away (eg a skyline over a empty field) I put the lens at infinity.

Works for me....

Oh, and I use a hasselblad 903SWC most of the time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your putting the infinity mark at f16 most of the time - what lens aperature are you shooting at when you have the infinity mark at f16?

Jack

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 01:02:55 pm »

I just returned from a photo trip to Antelope Canyon and came across this thread.  I was using a medium format camera and found focusing to be difficult because of the low light levels.  I ended up estimating distances to near, dark canyon walls, but based on what I've read here it sounds like a laser tape measure would work.

Anyone have any experience or comments on using one of these devices in a place like Antelope Canyon (i.e. sandstone walls)?

Thanks,
Ken

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 03:04:09 pm »

I just returned from a photo trip to Antelope Canyon and came across this thread.  I was using a medium format camera and found focusing to be difficult because of the low light levels.  I ended up estimating distances to near, dark canyon walls, but based on what I've read here it sounds like a laser tape measure would work.

Anyone have any experience or comments on using one of these devices in a place like Antelope Canyon (i.e. sandstone walls)?

Thanks,
Ken
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150719\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ken, I was up there earlier this year and had the same problems getting a good focus until I remembered that I had a laser pointer in my pocket.  It worked great!  While the pointer is great I'm now thinking about getting a laser tape measure.  Just think, Home Depot for camera gear!

don
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:04:45 pm by Iron Creek »

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »

No experience in the canyons. But no other responses lately, so ...

I was working near dusk the other night at an abandonded cement factory.  I was using a 65mm 5.6 with a center filter, which made it effectively almost an f/11.  

At first I could see the center OK, so I would focus on the GG and then check the distance with the measuring device to confirm my focus distance.  Three setups were 3.6, 6, and 12 meters +-. The laser worked quite well at all three distances.

It was easy to see the red dot to know where I was measuring in the low light.  It agreed quite well with my focus.  The distance (throw) from 3.5 to 4 meters, for example, on the 65mm's helical is pretty large, so I could estimate 3.657 or whatever the exact number was.

By the last setup I could not even tell when I had  the whole building in frame against the sky (to get the right shift), it was so dark. So I just used the meter to set focus without using the GG.

It is fun, quick and easy.  I just wish it was built into my Sekonic 608 spot meter. Press the button and get the reading and distance. Average the distance like the exposure? Calculate hyperfocal based on CoC? Is it too late to patent that?    

Best,
Michael

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 07:31:02 pm »

Ken, I was up there earlier this year and had the same problems getting a good focus until I remembered that I had a laser pointer in my pocket.  It worked great!  While the pointer is great I'm now thinking about getting a laser tape measure.  Just think, Home Depot for camera gear!

don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150741\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I got my transparencies back from my Antelope Canyon trip and to my relief they are in focus... but next time I will bring a laser tape measure.  I expect it will work based on the posts here and the fact that the Navajo guide who showed me around the canyon used a red laser to point out photo possibilities.  The laser dot showed up very clearly on the sandstone surfaces.

From previous poster:
"It is fun, quick and easy. I just wish it was built into my Sekonic 608 spot meter. Press the button and get the reading and distance. Average the distance like the exposure? Calculate hyperfocal based on CoC? Is it too late to patent that?"

Sounds like a great idea to me, I think I'll patent it :-)

Ken
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up