Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Printing in LR???  (Read 2112 times)

Jon Meddings

Large Printing in LR???
« on: September 29, 2007, 12:07:54 am »

I have to say this is driving me nuts.... I've got an entire series of images that I want to print at 20 x 30 on an Epson 7800. Went through the entire development process, round tripped to CS3 and then printed them each as a smaller 'test print'. Soft proofing looked good and I was happy with the sharpening - PK in CS3 and then some print sharpening in LR print module.

Made up a nice 20 x 30 template in LR and set the first image to print. Print sharpening on and set at 360 dpi. I came back a half hour later and found that the entire 20x30 rectangle had printed out completely grey with an inverted red "memory error' printed in one corner! Very frustrating. If the developed image is exported with the same settings then the resultant tiff prints perfectly with Qimage.  Any ideas or do I have to do all large printing from Qimage?

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
Large Printing in LR???
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 10:27:20 am »

I've made large prints from LR without problems. Your situation might have been a fluke. It is possible that Lightroom and/or your system does not have enough physical RAM to spool the job. But I doubt it.

Restart the computer, make sure no other programs are hogging RAM (especially Norton or MacAfee etc.), launch Lightroom and try again. Watch the print this time; if the problem happens again you can cancel the print job so you don't lose all that paper, ink and time.

You could also try printing that flat TIF file from Lightroom (instead of the layered file from round-tripping); a flattened file will be much smaller to spool.

I almost always print flat files.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:56:36 am by Nat Coalson »
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

Jon Meddings

Large Printing in LR???
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 11:23:38 am »

I've made large prints from LR without problems. Your situation might have been a fluke. It is possible that Lightroom and/or your system does not have enough physical RAM to spool the job. But I doubt it.

Restart the computer, make sure no other programs are hogging RAM (especially Norton or MacAfee etc.), launch Lightroom and try again. Watch the print this time; if the problem happens again you can cancel the print job so you don't lose all that paper, ink and time.

You could also try printing that flat TIF file from Lightroom (instead of the layered file from round-tripping); a flattened file will be much smaller to spool.

I almost always print flat files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Nat - appreciate the reply and the thoughts. I need to try this some more I guess. I understand your point about the flat file being smaller but converting all of these to a 'flat tif' sorta loses some of the LR advantage in my mind.

I would really like to keep the files as they are and print directly - if I have to export them and then reimport the tifs to print them it actually makes more sense to leave LR and use Qimage for printing.

The other thing that bothers me is that is what I thought LR was doing when it says it is 'rendering' the print job? Isn't it just converting the layers and developments applied to a 'flat' print file?

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
Large Printing in LR???
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:30:59 am »

Jon - I understand what you mean about not wanting to generate additional files just for printing from LR.

The other thing that bothers me is that is what I thought LR was doing when it says it is 'rendering' the print job? Isn't it just converting the layers and developments applied to a 'flat' print file?

Lightroom is reading the original image file data (and flattening it), then using your selected Rendering Intent, printer profile and printer driver settings to generate the final spool file. Kind of like how Photoshop Color Management works when sending the print file. On large, layered images this could be where LR is choking on memory.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://
Pages: [1]   Go Up