Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo Wide DS price  (Read 16942 times)

jpjespersen

Cambo Wide DS price
« on: September 28, 2007, 08:09:33 pm »

Can somebody tell me how much a Cambo Wide DS with 35mm and AFD plate and viewfinder should cost me, and I guess anything else I may need to make it ready to go.  I am having trouble figuring out what this kit should cost.
Thanks,
JP Jespersen

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:48 pm »

Can somebody tell me how much a Cambo Wide DS with 35mm and AFD plate and viewfinder should cost me, and I guess anything else I may need to make it ready to go.  I am having trouble figuring out what this kit should cost.
Thanks,
JP Jespersen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm not sure about the lens, but I picked up a used Wide DS body with the Mamiya mount for $2095. I got it directly from Calumet. As for lenses, I tend to rent them still until I can afford one.  I don't own any of the viewfinder accessories for it as I tend to shoot tethered and can use live preview to compose.

Dave

Mark_Tuttle

• http://
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:32:46 pm »

Can somebody tell me how much a Cambo Wide DS with 35mm and AFD plate and viewfinder should cost me, and I guess anything else I may need to make it ready to go.  I am having trouble figuring out what this kit should cost.
Thanks,
JP Jespersen
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bought mine in the spring from this guy.  Prices are a bit higher now so I can't tell you what the current ones are.

Kevin Farrell
Technical Sales Representative
Calumet Photographic, Inc
P: 800-225-8638 Ext. 3250
F: 800-577-3686
E: kevin.farrell@calumetphoto.com
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

mmurph

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 05:08:36 pm »

Phase was offering a Cambo WDS package when bought with a back.  I think Capture Integration still has it available:

http://www.captureintegration.com/sales/CamboWide.html

Pricing was $3,500 with a Rodenstock 35mm and $4,500 with a Schneider 24mm.  

You might be able to find one a Phase user bought?  I am also somewhat interested in a used one if anyone has one. I'm still using the older Cambo Wide (not DS.)

Best,
Michael

jpjespersen

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 05:26:18 pm »

Phase was offering a Cambo WDS package when bought with a back.  I think Capture Integration still has it available:

http://www.captureintegration.com/sales/CamboWide.html

Pricing was $3,500 with a Rodenstock 35mm and $4,500 with a Schneider 24mm. 

You might be able to find one a Phase user bought?  I am also somewhat interested in a used one if anyone has one. I'm still using the older Cambo Wide (not DS.)

Best,
Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142760\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why is the Rodenstock 35mm lens so much cheaper than the Schneider 35mm.  Does the Schneider have superior optics?

david.westphal

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 09:03:40 pm »

Your better off with either the Silvestri or Horseman cameras.  Worth whatever you pay.  If you are going to go through that much to get a nice camera and pay attention to detail, you might as well get a better camera.

pixjohn

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 10:02:09 pm »

David, have you used a Cambo Wide DS?  I really like my Cambo DS, and think its a great camera.

Steve_Townsend

• Commercial Property Photography
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 11:06:36 pm »

Please don't go for a Horsemann over a Cambo WDS.  I changed after a poor experience with the first.  For a number of reasons the Horsemann is way down the league in my opinion.

david.westphal

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 11:56:55 pm »

I have shot with the cambo, alpa and silvestri.  Obviously, the alpa is the way to go, however, for the price you would be better off with either a silvestri or horseman.  The limitations of the horseman is the lens selection.  Silvestri does not have that issue.  I was able to use my lenses that I had already purchased when I switched over to the silvestri.  The cambo is big and clunky and doesn't really fit well for travel.  The front and back attachments have slight movements in them so that if the camera is touched or the lens is touched wrong, you will get a slight pixel shift and if you are trying to register images, you will not find a perfect fit.  No other system, as far as I know, has that problem.  The engineering tolerances are not as tight as some of the others.

Bielenberg

• http://www.bielenberg.net
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:23:52 am »

I was prepared not to like the Cambo. As someone who has shot with Sinars since 1973, I want a camera with precise movements. I'm testing the Cambo right now and am impressed with it.

The Horseman does not have the geared movements that the Cambo has, and the most compact Alpa only has a rise; the Alpa XY is bigger.

The Arca Swiss Rm3d looks like it would be the perfect platform--not sure if I could justify the cost.

pixjohn

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:40:08 am »

I have shot 100's of images with a cambo and never had any camera shift. I have no problem traveling with the cambo in a pelican case and 4 lenses.  You need to test and see what you like for yourself. Can you rent a Alpa camera or any extra lenses? I can rent additional lenses and body if I need it.

I have shot with the cambo, alpa and silvestri.  Obviously, the alpa is the way to go, however, for the price you would be better off with either a silvestri or horseman.  The limitations of the horseman is the lens selection.  Silvestri does not have that issue.  I was able to use my lenses that I had already purchased when I switched over to the silvestri.  The cambo is big and clunky and doesn't really fit well for travel.  The front and back attachments have slight movements in them so that if the camera is touched or the lens is touched wrong, you will get a slight pixel shift and if you are trying to register images, you will not find a perfect fit.  No other system, as far as I know, has that problem.  The engineering tolerances are not as tight as some of the others.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143734\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

godtfred

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 04:43:09 am »

Why is the Rodenstock 35mm lens so much cheaper than the Schneider 35mm.  Does the Schneider have superior optics?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Read again, the Rodenstock 35mm is cheaper than the Schneider 24mm (where as i think the Rodenstock 35mm is more expensive than the Schneider 35mm, but I have not checked lately...)  
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Weldon Brewster

• http://www.weldonbrewster.com
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 10:16:25 am »

I've taken 1000's of images with the Cambo Wide DS and the 35mm Schneider XL lens is one of my sharpest.  The camera is bomber, I do stitches with it regularly and there is never any camera shake.  It's also a great location camera,  easy to bring on the plane and sets up fast.

Personal taste but I think the Schneider 24mm is too wide and it's not as sharp (IMO) as the 35mm one.

You should be able to by the whole kit (body, lens and AFD adapter) for about $6500 for the AFD.  Call Calumet and they'll give you a quote.
Weldon Brewster
www.weldonbrewster.com

jpjespersen

Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:46:23 am »

I've taken 1000's of images with the Cambo Wide DS and the 35mm Schneider XL lens is one of my sharpest.  The camera is bomber, I do stitches with it regularly and there is never any camera shake.  It's also a great location camera,  easy to bring on the plane and sets up fast.

Personal taste but I think the Schneider 24mm is too wide and it's not as sharp (IMO) as the 35mm one.

You should be able to by the whole kit (body, lens and AFD adapter) for about $6500 for the AFD.  Call Calumet and they'll give you a quote.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:11:19 am by jpjespersen »

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 04:34:54 pm »

I was prepared not to like the Cambo. As someone who has shot with Sinars since 1973, I want a camera with precise movements. I'm testing the Cambo right now and am impressed with it.

The Horseman does not have the geared movements that the Cambo has, and the most compact Alpa only has a rise; the Alpa XY is bigger.

The Arca Swiss Rm3d looks like it would be the perfect platform--not sure if I could justify the cost.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143751\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've used the Cambo and the XY.  The Alpa XY is smaller.  It only takes up the space of a 12" laptop.  It sits nicely in the case on top of everything else.  When I used to travel with the Cambo I took the wood handle off.  The Cambo lenses were also bigger because of the crash bars.  In the end, the XY with 5 lenses is much smaller then the equivalent Cambo system, and in total it is not much more money.

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 04:36:38 pm »

I have shot 100's of images with a cambo and never had any camera shift. I have no problem traveling with the cambo in a pelican case and 4 lenses.  You need to test and see what you like for yourself. Can you rent a Alpa camera or any extra lenses? I can rent additional lenses and body if I need it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=143753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Samy's rents Alpa equipment

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 11:29:48 pm »

hello

would you guys help me out with who sells the cambo wide ?
I can only have access to those that appears on google search.

I know a few of the DB sellers also sells the camera, I'm considering
to get a "starter kit" with the 35mm, for my leaf back.

cheers
rgs
rueyloon

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:05:58 pm »

Has anyone considered or use the Cambo Wide --COMPACT-- model?

There is almost no info on it anywhere -not even more images than this one- I think that it is a non-PC $2k model that comes with the back adapter and accepts Cambo lenses and a viewfinder.

It could be an alternative for $5k 28mm lenses from the reflex systems with the advantage of better IQ of non retro focus lenses.

PC can be done back at the studio on the PC (Mac)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:06:53 pm by Leonardo Barreto »
[font=Comic Sa

Streetwise

• DavidAnderson.tv
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 09:11:42 pm »

Why is the Rodenstock 35mm lens so much cheaper than the Schneider 35mm.  Does the Schneider have superior optics?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Schneider 35mm has a huge image circle of 105° degrees which gives you maximum shifting. That's why.

Dave

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Cambo Wide DS price
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 04:33:40 am »

I shoot with the Cambo Wide DS,  24, 35, 47 and 72XL lenses.  I like this camera a lot. I have plenty of friends with the Alpa and its a wonderful camera too. Personally I think that the 'aura' of the Alpa has a lot to do with why people like it.

The Cambo is lightweight, despite its size. I have used it handheld successfully on a number of occasions.  The 'bull bars' on the front make it easy to put the camera down on a surface safely... very handy.

I chose to buy small voightlander viewfinders as these generally have a more rectilinear field of view than the Cambo one. I only use these to point the camera in the right direction then use 'polaroids' to finalise the shoot angle.

If I was doing interiors only I'd buy the 47. For architecture generally the 35. The 24 is a 'get out of jail free' lens for tough spots, but the 35 can cope in many situations when you also add in the stitching potential.

The only caveat I have is that the build quality is sometimes lacking. I know people who have had poor lenses, or perhaps I should say 'poorly mounted lenses'. Make sure you quickly perform tough technical tests on any lenses you buy and send it back for adjustment if its not up to spec. I have a sloppily fitting 47XL, but its pin sharp so I don't worry about it. If something like that bothers you, get the Alpa.

I've seen the new compact version of the camera and I think it looks very good though I didn't get a chance to hold it. It has sufficient movement for current MF backs and lenses. I think only my 72L has a big enough image circle to tax its movements while with the 47 and 35 its well matched.

Also consider ease of renting spares (if possible) and the level of support for any platform. Alpa would probably parachute in a guy in a black balaclava if you had a problem, whereas I get the feeling you could wait a long time if there was a fault with a Silvestri.  A week after getting my 24XL I dropped it from 6 feet onto concrete and bent the mount out of shape, it looked like a banana.  I sent it back to Rene Rook at Cambo and they had it fixed and back in my hands in about 3 days, for a fee of 200 euros. Fantastic.  

So a lot to consider... but something like this is an investment its important not to underpay to get what you want.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 04:35:16 am by free1000 »
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up