Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DsMII TEthered Via USB cable Possible???  (Read 4722 times)

Snook

1DsMII TEthered Via USB cable Possible???
« on: September 28, 2007, 09:54:35 am »

JUst wondering if it is possible to shoot through a USB cable to Canon 1DsMII instead of the Firewire.. I have been having all kinds of problems with my firewire lately. If I shoot to fast it seems to Fail and connection is difficult.. Sometimes I have to run the camera over the viewfinder and tightly around my hand in order for it to stay connected. I have had the Firewire port change 2 times already and I do not even shoot that much tethered.
Has anybody had success shooting with the USB connection for the 1DsMII?
Thanks for any information and is it a lot slower?
Snook

Snook

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:11:16 am »

Bummer...:+}
Thanks for the information  
Snook

RicAgu

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 01:38:44 pm »

EK,

You have to tape it down to the body so it doesn't pull.  When I shot Canon heavily tethered for a catalog client I use to use an L Plate from Really Right Stuff and the 16' ft cable from Granite Digital.

Firewire 400 cables to firewire mini will fry your ports when pulled and are very unstable.  Firewire 800 to firewire mini I found more stable and yet to fry a port.  And many idiots trip on the cable!

I just got a new eCommerce client that I have to shoot with Canons and we are shooting 300-500 pops a day and the only time I get an error is when the battery is going.

Other than that, the Canons with C1 Pro are rock stable.

Call Ken @ Granite Digital and get yourself some GD cables.  i always have the laptop or tower right next to me so I don't know what the 30ft is like.  I have one for the Phase, but yet to use it.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 03:08:27 pm »

EK,

You have to tape it down to the body so it doesn't pull.  When I shot Canon heavily tethered for a catalog client I use to use an L Plate from Really Right Stuff and the 16' ft cable from Granite Digital.

Firewire 400 cables to firewire mini will fry your ports when pulled and are very unstable.  Firewire 800 to firewire mini I found more stable and yet to fry a port.  And many idiots trip on the cable!

I just got a new eCommerce client that I have to shoot with Canons and we are shooting 300-500 pops a day and the only time I get an error is when the battery is going.

Other than that, the Canons with C1 Pro are rock stable.

Call Ken @ Granite Digital and get yourself some GD cables.  i always have the laptop or tower right next to me so I don't know what the 30ft is like.  I have one for the Phase, but yet to use it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 30ft cable works great, at least with a windows box.  I use a small velcro cable wrap on the firewire cable and attached either to the neck strap were it attaches to the body or a d-ring at the strap attachment point to keep the firewire cable secure to the camera.
Craig Lamson Photo

Snook

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 03:40:04 pm »

Thanks Ric and others...:+}
Ric how are you taping it?
CAn you send me a Picture of the set up if you do it again..
As you know my resources a limited where I live...:+}
Thanks and congrads on your e-commerce gig...  
Snook

RicAgu

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 01:48:31 pm »

EK,

Thanks for the congratulations.  It is a great new gig.  A retail outfit that has been around for 43 years in NYC and we are revamping their entire site.  It will keep me busy for the next few months and I am on salary, but yet get to do my own thing.  Best of all worlds!

It gives me the freedom to stop chasing the bullshit little work, that is more of a hassle than it is worth.  You know what it's like!  After more than 10 years some stability!  Plus I also have some big negotiations going on for some campaigns for summer 2008.  As one of the sayings go, "If it's easy to get to, it probably ain't worth going".

When I get back to the studio on Monday I will take a picture of the set up.  I just tape it with white Gaffers tape.  It was  quick fix on set one day and it just stuck (PUN INTENDED).  Now that this will be more permanent I think I will start looking into velcro straps or soemthing that won't leave so much goo on it when it is removed.

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 03:04:22 pm »

I use black gaffers on mine because the white always looked like some sort of first aid treatment - a big bandage or something. I take about a six inch piece of 2" and rip that in half, curl it around the bottom of the firewire cable and then up to the top of the pentaprism. The problem is that there is really no stretch room in the connection at all, and on a job a couple of weeks ago, where I had to shoot remotely and the camera was in a very small hot room, bumped the cable and broke the connector on the camera. Lost all connection to the camera and had to use a backup camera. Called CPS about the USB port and they told me that it was only for printing. I didn't exactly laugh, but something close to it. Not sure if the wireless transmitter would have worked or not as I don't know if you can control the camera remotely through that, and it doesn't appear you can rent one here in L.A. Even it's proprietary, something like Apple's MacBook power connector with a breakaway connector would be the ideal situation.

RicAgu

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:21:01 pm »

error
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:34:38 pm by RicAgu »

RicAgu

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 12:34:16 pm »

EK,

Sorry for the delay with the images.  Attached below please find the 1 Ds Mark II with the cable gaffered to the L-bracket and my new shoot station from Anthro.

You should get the Granite cables when you get a chance. All the difference in the world

Pfigen.

I really don't mind what it looks like as long is it is functional.  On set we rig stuff left and right and it is never a permanent solution.  Just meant to make your day easier.

Snook

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:09:04 pm »

Cool Thanks a lot Ric..
Looks Nice..:+}
Dude I could not find anywhere where they send to Out of the country..
Will check again.
The set-up looks great. Congrads again on your new Client..  
You have the link again for the repeater and cables. I am going to pick some up for sure.
Thanks
Snook
PS. Mine seems to connect better for some reason going over the ViewFinder believe it not.
Will have try again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 07:11:18 pm by Snook »

RicAgu

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 09:33:41 pm »

EK,

Call Ken @ Granite Digital.  His number is 510-471-6442 and the website is http://www.granitedigital.com

Make sure you tell him you want a 9 pin to 4 pin firewire cable or Firewire 800 to Firewire mini.  I have only used 16 feet on Canon, but if you use a 32 footer I would get two 16's and put a repeater in the middle.

He'll ship anywhere because he has shipped to London and Paris for me.  Best of luck and let me knwo how you make out.  By the way, I recently looked into the Sinar eMotion 75 and I am going to test it in the next few weeks.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  I hear it is not that good at higher ISO, but that their ISO range is much more sensitive than the other brands.  So 100 is like 200 and 200 is like 400.  I'll let you know as soon as I ahve a breather and can test it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up