Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch editing of photos for size and dimension  (Read 3503 times)

I CHNGE

Batch editing of photos for size and dimension
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:38:13 pm »

Some of my software is no doubt outdated...

I usually keep 2 folders for my saved photos...one contains the originals...the other contains resized/retouched etc duplicates...

Now my issue...there is a site which I am a member of where photos are routinely posted...but there are limitations to Kb size and dimension...and those are 100Kb and 600 pixels in width

I have the capability (depending on the program I use) to do this...but as far as I know I cannot do this using a batch function which allows me to specify both dimension AND file size limitations in either one or two key strokes...

ULEAD PHOTO IMPACT 8.0
As far as I know I can do both functions to a photo, but only one photo at a time...I am aware that version 12.0 is current...

ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7.0
I have to admit I just haven't gotten around to using this software or even become familiar with it yet...much less updating it...

DIGITAL PHOTO PROFESSIONAL (CANONS VERSION COMES WITH CAMERA)
I immediately found that I could batch process photos to the dimension I want for posting...but the file sizes are still too big (in the 350Kb area) so I have to process them again...one at a time to get the file size down

So the question...

Any one know of either an updated version of the software I have...or a program I can buy...which will allow me to specfiy the file size and dimension and process batchs of photos in either one or two keystrokes?

Thanks

Cliff

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 03:54:40 pm »

Try reading (and searching) before posting. This exact same question was answered in the digital image processing forum here just a day or two ago.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19746

Better yet, RTFM. If you can't be bothered to make even a cursory effort to see what your programs are capable of, why should anyone here make any effort to help you?

I CHNGE

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 04:21:54 pm »

Try reading (and searching) before posting. This exact same question was answered in the digital image processing forum here just a day or two ago.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=19746

Better yet, RTFM. If you can't be bothered to make even a cursory effort to see what your programs are capable of, why should anyone here make any effort to help you?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the valuable insight Jonathan...

I did in fact read your helpful link prior to posting my question...maybe you didn't read the post and replies in their entirety before linking to it in your oh so helpful reply; most who read both threads I think will see a distinct difference in the desired outcome of the posters.  Similar, yes...specifically related...no.

Also I posted in the Beginner Forum...cause it is supposed to be a place where...and I'm quoting the forum's "header"...

A "safe house" where beginners can ask the most basic of questions about photography.

Knowledgable members answering should remember what things were like when they were just starting out.

And ummmm, how much downloaded software do you have that came with a "manual" to read?  That's a rhetorical question...thanks for giving it some thought though...

I have however exhausted the "HELP" sections of the software I listed...

Perhaps with 4000+ posts you should consider staying out of the "newbie" forum...you are obviously waaaaaaaay too advanced in your knowledge base to "teach" effectively

I do appreciate your reply...have a great day

Thanks

Cliff

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 12:11:22 am »

And ummmm, how much downloaded software do you have that came with a "manual" to read?  That's a rhetorical question...thanks for giving it some thought though...

I have however exhausted the "HELP" sections of the software I listed...

The second sentence is the answer to your question; the help section IS the manual; it contains detailed information about all of the functions of the program. In general, even when you buy software in a box, the printed manual is just the quick start guide, and all the detailed information is in the help file. I also find it curious that you claim that you've exhausted the help sections of the programs, yet regarding Photoshop you say "I have to admit I just haven't gotten around to using this software or even become familiar with it yet...much less updating it..." If you had truly exhausted the help sections you would have discovered that Photoshop's help file is the digital equivalent of a fairly thick book.

When you say outright that you haven't really put much effort into trying to solve your problem on your own, you're not going to get much response to your question. It's a bit rude to expect others to take time out of their busy lives to solve your problem for you when you admit outright that you have put little effort into solving it yourself. If your first post had indicated that you'd put a reasonable effort into solving your problem and you were still stumped, you'd probably have had half a dozen people post suggestions already, like in the thread I referenced in my previous post.

Speaking of which, that thread does have most of the answer to your question, specifically the suggestion regarding the File / Automate / Fit Image menu item in Photoshop. For the rest, look up "Optimize To File Size" and "Recording An Action" in Photoshop's help.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:20:37 am by Jonathan Wienke »
Pages: [1]   Go Up