Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dan Margulis Sharpening Action  (Read 144968 times)

DarkPenguin

Dan Margulis Sharpening Action
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2008, 11:06:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure it can be found in the forums here.  God speed on that search.

One of the things I really like about LR 2 is that it appears to give you quality versions of 2 of the 3 BF sharpening steps.  Creative sharpening is there but kinda iffy.

I Simonius

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2008, 10:19:35 am »

Quote from: bjanes
Deconvolution image restoration (such as used in Smart Sharpen and FocusMagic) theoretically should be superior to unsharp masking, since it can actually correct defocus, diffraction, and possibly the image degradation from the camera blur filter. However, it is difficult to derive the necessary point spread function necessary for the deconvolution, and it seems as if relatively few photographers use deconvolution outside of astro-photography. Anything new here?

Bill

waay over my head - unless something is incorporated into Ps Im unlikely to use it jut because I am not sufficiently au fait with these things - Ps [and LR]is more than enough for me to learn;)

01af

« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2008, 09:20:54 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
What makes it novel?
Just what I was wondering, too! To me it looks like a variant of a principle Dan wrote about no less than ten years ago. See his article Hittin' 'em where they ain't (PDF format). Sharpening the black channel in CMYK and sharpening the RGB image through a mask derived from CMYK's black channel just are two implementations of the same basic idea.

-- Olaf

bjanes

« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2008, 10:16:51 am »

Quote from: jjj
Did he? Where? If so I'm impressed by his honesty, not that he's been known for not being very honest and forthright in his opinions!  

There are probably multiple posts where Jeff has discussed these issues. The posts that I had in mind, were (I think) on the Adobe forums, but here is another Jeff Schewe link where he suggests doing capture sharpening in ACR 4.1 or greater. He further stated that he does his output sharpening in Lightroom (rather than PK Sharpener).

I would think that such statements by Jeff would tend to diminish sales of PK Sharpener, which he developed along with Bruce Fraser and some other colleagues.  While the enhancements in ACR and Lightroom sharpening may diminish PK revenue, I would imagine that his consulting fees from Adobe would compensate for the loss. As I understand things, Bruce and Jeff were hired by Adobe to incorporate the essentials of PK into Adobe products. Capture sharpening is available in both ACR and Lightroom, and output sharpening is now available in Lightroom. Besides offering an integrated workflow, the Adobe extensions are parametric editors, which eliminates the necessity of storing multiple layered intermediate files.

Bill

Chris Crevasse

« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2008, 11:03:08 am »

Re output sharpening in Lightroom -- is that a method of sharpening not available in CS4?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2008, 01:07:27 pm »

Quote from: Chris Crevasse
Re output sharpening in Lightroom -- is that a method of sharpening not available in CS4?

Correct...maybe we'll get it in some future version of Photoshop but for now, you have to manually figure out how to sharpen yourself...the auto output sharpen solution in Lightroom is a specific solution done via a collaboration between Adobe and PixelGenius (as is the capture sharpening in Camera Raw & Lightroom).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up