Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gretag Macbeth i1 Profile for Epson 4800  (Read 1855 times)

Ken Rahaim

• http://globaldriftersphoto.com
Gretag Macbeth i1 Profile for Epson 4800
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:18:55 am »

My first post to Luminous Landscape Forums, but I've lurked and read this forum for years...

I just recently created my first custom printer/paper/profile for my little Epson R800 and was totally blown away by the results. In short, I'm a believer. The factory profiles and the few profiles I'd downloaded from the net here and there just weren't working with my R800 and the paper choices (nothing fancy) I was using. For the first time in a year (I can't believe I suffered that long w/o a custom profile), what I see on the monitor is what I get from the printer!

Anyway, I'm now intensely motivated to create custom profiles for my R800's big brother, my Epson Stylus Pro 4800. I haven't had near the color matching problems with the 4800 that I've had with the R800, but I definitely still want to generate some custom profiles. I'm using an older Gretag Macbeth i1 profile kit (before the kit included the clipboard thingie) and my problem is when I go to print the RGB target, I can't seem to find a selection for roll paper. The only option seems to be the paper tray. How do I print the RGB target to roll paper?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I presume this is the right forum for this question. I looked around and figured this was the best bet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 04:41:57 pm by Ken Rahaim »
Ken Rahaim

Ken Rahaim

• http://globaldriftersphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:21:37 am »

How do I print the RGB target to roll paper?
Um, nevermind... my first post to LL and I answer my own question. I found the tif files on my Mac located at:

Applications->Eye-One Match 3->testcharts->printer

I'll print them via p-shop (making sure all color management is off).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:21:47 am by Ken Rahaim »
Ken Rahaim

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:16 pm »

One thing to consider, canned profiles for a 4800 are normally better than those for a r800. The x800 series of Epson printers are individually calibrated when they are manufactured, so profiles from one printer work very well on a different one.  Sort of depends on the paper manufacturer and how interested they are in making good profiles.

I've found Epson, Kodak and Hahnemuehle profiles for the 9800 and 3800 are very good, and my own profiles using EyeOne and EyeOne i0 and 4096 patch tests aren't much different.

But you never know, and making your own profiles is a skill that is worth improving on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up