Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Printing Question  (Read 2478 times)

bobby18301

LR Printing Question
« on: September 26, 2007, 07:56:53 pm »

I'm trying to see how printing from lightroom is easier than anywhere else and so far I only end up spending minutes trying to figure out simple stuff. Today's problem: I want to print four 5 x 7 prints on a 13 x 19 sheet. I can get one on and then I am totally stuck. There are no templates for that. How do I get the three other (same) photos on that page? It's simple from photoshop...I can simply put four on layers and put them where I want. Or, place them in an InDesign file and print from there. But, I want to use Lightroom. I've looked in the help and I've watched the Reichman video but no answers there.

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
LR Printing Question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:16:09 pm »

Simple:

Select your page size (under Page Settings) to a 13x19" sheet on your favourite printer (tell it the right printer so it can know about the margin sizes).

Set the Rows and Columns fields to 2 each (thus a 2x2 grid).  It will make the cells as large as they can be within those constraints, so you probably want to set the units to Inches and explicitly set the cell size to 5x7".  You probably want to turn on "Auto-rotate to fit".
Be aware that to get exactly the size you want you'll need to make sure that your photos are 5:7 aspect ratio before going to print: it'll fit the images into the 5x7" boxes and if you've got a different aspect ratio you'll end up with images that are smaller.  Unless you want to experiment with Zoom to Fit.

Make sure you've selected the appropriate 4 photos in the filmstrip, and you're good to go.
Well,  you need to set the profile/etc appropriately, but you're mostly there at least.

Isn't this stuff covered in multiple video tutorials around the 'net?

drwillie

LR Printing Question
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:59 am »

Simple:

Select your page size (under Page Settings) to a 13x19" sheet on your favourite printer (tell it the right printer so it can know about the margin sizes).

Set the Rows and Columns fields to 2 each (thus a 2x2 grid).  It will make the cells as large as they can be within those constraints, so you probably want to set the units to Inches and explicitly set the cell size to 5x7".  You probably want to turn on "Auto-rotate to fit".
Be aware that to get exactly the size you want you'll need to make sure that your photos are 5:7 aspect ratio before going to print: it'll fit the images into the 5x7" boxes and if you've got a different aspect ratio you'll end up with images that are smaller.  Unless you want to experiment with Zoom to Fit.

Make sure you've selected the appropriate 4 photos in the filmstrip, and you're good to go.
Well,  you need to set the profile/etc appropriately, but you're mostly there at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bobby -

If you wish to print the same photo in all photo grid boxes, choose "Repeat One Photo Per Page" in the check box in upper right column of the Print Module.

David

bobby18301

LR Printing Question
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:54:52 am »

Simple:

Set the Rows and Columns fields to 2 each (thus a 2x2 grid).  It will make the cells as large as they can be within those constraints, so you probably want to set the units to Inches and explicitly set the cell size to 5x7".  You probably want to turn on "Auto-rotate to fit".
Be aware that to get exactly the size you want you'll need to make sure that your photos are 5:7 aspect ratio before going to print: it'll fit the images into the 5x7" boxes and if you've got a different aspect ratio you'll end up with images that are smaller.  Unless you want to experiment with Zoom to Fit.

Well,  you need to set the profile/etc appropriately, but you're mostly there at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks but actually I was also trying to get four of the same photo on the page. I guess I can put four copies in the quick folder. But, you answered the hardest part. Yes, I'm sure the answer is on some video but I knew this would be faster. Thanks again for your help and taking the time to do it.

RogerW

• http://www.rogerwalton.co.uk
LR Printing Question
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:37 am »

Thanks but actually I was also trying to get four of the same photo on the page. I guess I can put four copies in the quick folder. But, you answered the hardest part. Yes, I'm sure the answer is on some video but I knew this would be faster. Thanks again for your help and taking the time to do it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Read the earlier message again - the answer's there!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:12:22 am by RogerW »
Pages: [1]   Go Up