Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Epson SP4000 prints with greenish cast  (Read 8618 times)

BillHorne

• http://
Used Epson SP4000 prints with greenish cast
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:27:01 am »

I bought a used Epson Stylus Pro 4000 recently and am having trouble eliminating a severe green cast from prints. I have posted a PDF summary of my work flow that shows drivers used, print dialogue box selections, nozzle test results, prints  etc.  at workflow

It's a bit hard to see in the low-res PDF, but the nozzle test shows that all 8 colours are printing. The Firmware version is current (ver. I01564 P).

I ran a regular cleaning cycle on the weekend, but not a *power* cleaning yet. Most tests have been done on Epson Enhanced Matte EPS41341, but glossy Epson photo paper yielded the same results. Same with printing from a notebook and Photoshop CS.

I am wondering if it might be a driver/profile issue, or something else. One friend wonders if I may have calibrated my monitor incorrectly, but the test target displays properly (as do other image files), and I do not [yet] understand how a bad monitor profile could affect print output and not just display.

Epson's techies suggested via email that I try printing with Epson's driver in Auto mode or reinstall the driver, but neither of these made much difference. I live in a remote location and hope to avoid a long trip to an authorized service shop.

Running Photoshop CS2 under Win XP, Pro Pentium 4 1.8 GHz 1.25 GB RAM
Connection to printer: USB cable via hub.
File types being printed: JPEG & PSD.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
Bill Horne

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 01:26:14 am »

Bill,

In your printer properties, color management tab, change to automatic. This is the only anomoly I see at this time.

Rich

nma

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 08:44:19 am »

Bill,

Take a deep breath. There is more to it than plugging the thing in.  Your monitor does need to be calibrated. That is not negotiable.  But it needs to be done correctly. Most of us use a colorimeter and special software to measure a known set of color patches. These data are used to compute a color correction table that is fed to your display card.  Your monitor is not displaying the right colors now, so any adjustment you make is like shooting in the dark.  

That's not all. You have to know how to correct the color in your images, typically white balance. You also have to use a print paper appropriate  to the SP4000 with the corresponding printer profile for that paper and ink set.  There is more. Try to find some tutorials. Google Ian Lyons, I think he has posted some useful information. After you have learned a bit you will be ready for the video download from this site called camera to print, or some such. Right now I think it is a little too advanced for the first effort.

You will need to do some work, but you can get really good results with this printer. Just be patient, one step at a time.

In all likelihood, there is nothing wrong with the printer. The techies are not going to solve your problems.  

Hope this helps.

I bought a used Epson Stylus Pro 4000 recently and am having trouble eliminating a severe green cast from prints. I have posted a PDF summary of my work flow that shows drivers used, print dialogue box selections, nozzle test results, prints  etc.  at workflow

It's a bit hard to see in the low-res PDF, but the nozzle test shows that all 8 colours are printing. The Firmware version is current (ver. I01564 P).

I ran a regular cleaning cycle on the weekend, but not a *power* cleaning yet. Most tests have been done on Epson Enhanced Matte EPS41341, but glossy Epson photo paper yielded the same results. Same with printing from a notebook and Photoshop CS.

I am wondering if it might be a driver/profile issue, or something else. One friend wonders if I may have calibrated my monitor incorrectly, but the test target displays properly (as do other image files), and I do not [yet] understand how a bad monitor profile could affect print output and not just display.

Epson's techies suggested via email that I try printing with Epson's driver in Auto mode or reinstall the driver, but neither of these made much difference. I live in a remote location and hope to avoid a long trip to an authorized service shop.

Running Photoshop CS2 under Win XP, Pro Pentium 4 1.8 GHz 1.25 GB RAM
Connection to printer: USB cable via hub.
File types being printed: JPEG & PSD.

Any suggestions?
thanks,
Bill Horne
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 08:46:38 am by nma »

BillHorne

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:36 pm »

Bill,

In your printer properties, color management tab, change to automatic. This is the only anomoly I see at this time.

Rich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Rich. I did try a print in Automatic Mode (with the Photoshop Print Preview set to Let Printer Determine Colors), but got the same results. However, I've understood that it's preferable to set the Photoshop Print Preview set to Let Photoshop Determine Colors, then set the printer driver to Custom, select Advanced and then turn the printer's color management Off, to avoid "double color management".

BillHorne

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 12:15:11 pm »

Bill,

Take a deep breath. There is more to it than plugging the thing in.  Your monitor does need to be calibrated. That is not negotiable.  But it needs to be done correctly. Most of us use a colorimeter and special software to measure a known set of color patches. These data are used to compute a color correction table that is fed to your display card.  Your monitor is not displaying the right colors now, so any adjustment you make is like shooting in the dark. 

That's not all. You have to know how to correct the color in your images, typically white balance. You also have to use a print paper appropriate  to the SP4000 with the corresponding printer profile for that paper and ink set.  There is more. Try to find some tutorials. Google Ian Lyons, I think he has posted some useful information. After you have learned a bit you will be ready for the video download from this site called camera to print, or some such. Right now I think it is a little too advanced for the first effort.

You will need to do some work, but you can get really good results with this printer. Just be patient, one step at a time.

In all likelihood, there is nothing wrong with the printer. The techies are not going to solve your problems. 

Hope this helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141926\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your comments. My monitor is calibrated with a Colorvision Spyder and a Macbeth Color Checker file displays pretty accurately, as do other targets. I am familiar with soft proofing, adjustment layers, etc., and have been through Ian Lyons' site, Russell Brown's videos and the LL Camera to Print videos (all excellent). And I am printing with the appropriate printer/paper profiles.

At this point I think the possible remedies are a power cleaning, reinstalling the printer driver (though I have tried this once already), or recalibrating the monitor. Except I would expect that even with a poorly calibrated monitor, a standard test target with an embedded ICC profile should print correctly even if it didn't display correctly. Or am I wrong about that?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 12:39:18 pm »

On my Epson 4000 I had a problem that looked like double profiling (although my print was very dark).  It suddenly appeared after I had been printing with it for months with no issues.  By chance I found that I could resolve it by switching to the Printer for managing colour.  I never found the root cause and some time later when I tried switching back to Photoshop control it was fine.

There was a post here (long time ago) from someone else who thought they were seeing double profiling and I told them the same thing.  They found that they were getting into trouble with another driver on their machine.  I'll dig around and see if I can find the post, but in the mean time switch to the Epson for a print and see if it works.  

Mike

Dale_Cotton

• http://daystarvisions.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 12:59:36 pm »

At this point I think the possible remedies are a power cleaning, reinstalling the printer driver (though I have tried this once already), or recalibrating the monitor. Except I would expect that even with a poorly calibrated monitor, a standard test target with an embedded ICC profile should print correctly even if it didn't display correctly.
I would hold off on the power cleaning as an absolute last resort. And if you ever do it first make sure your maintenance tank has the capacity. There are two kinds of nozzle check print outs: the standard one that looks like a grating, and the automatic one that has solid bars of each colour. If the automatic one looks problem-free I think you can eliminate clogging as the culprit.

Absolutely, the standard target will be insensitive to the monitor rendition.

Next thing I would try is to do a print of your test target file from some other application than Photoshop, and use plain paper and the automatic settings. If the green cast is there then at least you can eliminate double profiling and Photoshop settings problems.

BillHorne

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 02:04:46 pm »

On my Epson 4000 I had a problem that looked like double profiling (although my print was very dark).  It suddenly appeared after I had been printing with it for months with no issues.  By chance I found that I could resolve it by switching to the Printer for managing colour.  I never found the root cause and some time later when I tried switching back to Photoshop control it was fine.

There was a post here (long time ago) from someone else who thought they were seeing double profiling and I told them the same thing.  They found that they were getting into trouble with another driver on their machine.  I'll dig around and see if I can find the post, but in the mean time switch to the Epson for a print and see if it works. 

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141975\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks, Mike - I tried switching to the Printer for managing colour, but had the same result. If you find that old post, yes, please let me know - much appreciated.
Bill

BillHorne

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »

I would hold off on the power cleaning as an absolute last resort. And if you ever do it first make sure your maintenance tank has the capacity. There are two kinds of nozzle check print outs: the standard one that looks like a grating, and the automatic one that has solid bars of each colour. If the automatic one looks problem-free I think you can eliminate clogging as the culprit.

Absolutely, the standard target will be insensitive to the monitor rendition.

Next thing I would try is to do a print of your test target file from some other application than Photoshop, and use plain paper and the automatic settings. If the green cast is there then at least you can eliminate double profiling and Photoshop settings problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=141982\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Dale:
I tried printing a test target from QuarkXPress with Epson's Auto settings; same result as before.

From reading a post somewhere else about an "unplug everything and plug it back in again" kind of fix, as suggested by that person I removed all the ink cartridges, gave them a gentle jiggle, and put them back in the printer.

Then I printed a Status Check from the printer's control panel (the one that prints solid bars of each colour instead of the nozzle test that prints a fine linear stair step pattern). Instead of printing just one row of colour bars, a yellow bar and a text report as previous Status Checks had made, this time it printed 3 rows of colour bars, the yellow bar and the text report. The 1st row was missing the Cyan and Light Magenta; the 2nd row printed all the bars, but the LIght Magenta was missing two wedges; the 3rd row printed all bars - all solid. (will see if I can attach a lowres shot of this)[attachment=3401:attachment]

Then (after simultaneously rubbing my head and stomach clockwise & invoking  a few inkjet gods ;-) I printed a test on Enhanced Matte and voila, I'm getting a much, much better colour print that I can tweak. My conclusion is that there *were* some nozzle clogs.

Thanks for your help!
Bill

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 03:09:46 pm »

Hi Bill,
Good to hear that the unplug and shake worked.  I could not find the post I mentioned, but it's clear this is not your problem.

I just realized I missed something basic from your original post.  You bought the unit used, so it must have been transported to you, and you did not run a power clean to start off.  

I moved my printer ~70 miles from one house to another, and then back some time ago.  I followed all of the procedures they recommended, ie pulling the ink cartridges and replacing them with empty ones.  And I was careful on the drive and in lugging the thing in and out of the house at both ends.  So I thought I'd try a basic clean and print after the 1st move.  No joy...I tried this 3 times or more then did a power clean.  Worked 1st print afterwards.  When I moved the printer back I just ran a power clean and it worked 1st time.

If you think your printer is giving you good colour then you may be OK, however if there is still some noticeable problems with it then I wouldn't hesitate to run a power clean, especially with the results you got initially.

Good luck!

Mike

BillHorne

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 03:30:13 pm »

Hi Bill,
Good to hear that the unplug and shake worked.  I could not find the post I mentioned, but it's clear this is not your problem.

I just realized I missed something basic from your original post.  You bought the unit used, so it must have been transported to you, and you did not run a power clean to start off. 

I moved my printer ~70 miles from one house to another, and then back some time ago.  I followed all of the procedures they recommended, ie pulling the ink cartridges and replacing them with empty ones.  And I was careful on the drive and in lugging the thing in and out of the house at both ends.  So I thought I'd try a basic clean and print after the 1st move.  No joy...I tried this 3 times or more then did a power clean.  Worked 1st print afterwards.  When I moved the printer back I just ran a power clean and it worked 1st time.

If you think your printer is giving you good colour then you may be OK, however if there is still some noticeable problems with it then I wouldn't hesitate to run a power clean, especially with the results you got initially.

Good luck!

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Mike:
I bought the printer for $1000 from someone just .5 km from me, down a hill; we packed up the printer in its original box with the transportation lock thingee and drove here very, very slowly. But I think we left the cartridges in :-o

The first prints were relatively ok, but that was before calibrating my monitor and getting over the learning curve of Print With Preview, etc. Then after a few days out of town (another clue that clogs may be the culprit), everything started printing green.

Today's result is way better than the green prints, but still darker and browner than a soft proof indicates should be achievable. I ordered more ink from Beau Photo in Vancouver and once it arrives, I think from what you say it will be worth doing a power clean.
thanks,
Bill

BillHorne

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 05:46:04 pm »

Hi Bill,
Good to hear that the unplug and shake worked.  I could not find the post I mentioned, but it's clear this is not your problem.

I just realized I missed something basic from your original post.  You bought the unit used, so it must have been transported to you, and you did not run a power clean to start off. 

I moved my printer ~70 miles from one house to another, and then back some time ago.  I followed all of the procedures they recommended, ie pulling the ink cartridges and replacing them with empty ones.  And I was careful on the drive and in lugging the thing in and out of the house at both ends.  So I thought I'd try a basic clean and print after the 1st move.  No joy...I tried this 3 times or more then did a power clean.  Worked 1st print afterwards.  When I moved the printer back I just ran a power clean and it worked 1st time.

Good luck!

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142009\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Mike:
An update:
after doing a power cleaning and printing some nozzle/status checks, I made some more test prints using various colour management settings. The severe green cast is gone from all of them. Whew - progress has been made ;-)

However, the recommended "Photoshop determines colours>CM off in the printer driver" workflow yields a pretty dark print, which makes me suspect some double-profiling, similar to what you mentioned in your earlier post.

Changing to "Let Printer determine colours>printer driver set to Auto" yields the v best match yet. I'll see if I can identify if a printer driver has been operating in the background of XP and if I find it and disable it, will see if I can get results as good as "Auto" when reverting to Photoshop's CM control.

Thanks again for your help, and btw - lovely gallery! I like the Wellfleet door and shingles a lot.
Bill

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:27:40 pm »

Thank you Bill, I'm glad you're making progress.

Mike

BillHorne

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 12:19:11 pm »

Thank you Bill, I'm glad you're making progress.

Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=142310\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mike,
I found the source of my double-profiling problem when I was reading Mike Chaney's QImage tutorial:
Also note that if you are using the profiling tools in Qimage as described in this section, you should ensure that no profiles are connected to your printer at a system (Windows) level (outside of Qimage Pro) because this can also cause double profiling. To check this, click "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Printers" and right click on your printer and select "Properties". Check the "Color Management" tab and make sure that there are no entries on the list in the center of the window. If there are, highlight any entries there and click "Remove". When the list is empty, click "Ok". You may also want to click the printer setup button in Qimage and check the "Properties" for your printer, ensuring that there are no references to "ICM" color matching selected. Depending on the operating system and print driver that you use, Windows level color management may or may not have an affect on your prints.
I did this and now printing with Photoshop controlling CM is working much, much better.
thanks,
Bill

BillHorne

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 04:47:04 pm »

One other update about double profiling and background problems:
an email from an Epson techie says, "Also try disabling advanced printing features, which is located in the properties of the driver under the Advanced tab. Sometimes this option interferes with our driver and could cause printing issues."
I've done this and will carry on tweaking...
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up